Walmart / cancelling the layaway program

Walmart, locations in Pittsburgh and surrounding areas in Pennsylvania

I am rather upset with Walmart's policy to end the layaway program. I just noticed this change while shopping at the Robinson Township Pennsylvania location.

This really upset me and let me explain why. How many single parents, elderly, people with minimum wage jobs, people at or just above the federal poverty level shop at Walmart? I am sure a very large percentage of their customers. What happens to that single parent at Christmas that cannot afford to write out a large check to buy presents? They utilize the layaway program so they can pay a little each month. What about the minimum wage worker who may need some larger ticket items, television, maybe large household items such as tables, chairs, bedding etc? Can they afford to write out a large check all at once? No, because they need to pay rent, utilities, food etc but they can afford a little each month. The elderly who may want to purchase expensive items, if they are only receiving social security how can they afford to pay for such items? They can't. I cannot imagine even the Walmart store employees not utilizing the layaway program because lord knows they are not making much higher than minimum wage.

I just feel the more and more companies are forgetting about the little guy and it is time the CEO's who make millions realize that all of america is not wealthy, many live paycheck to paycheck and by eliminating some services they greatly affect many people. I hope this complaint actually does some justice and it is read by many people who will flood Walmart with complaints and they will change their minds.

Jo

Comments

• Am
      27th of Feb, 2007

I have to agree with this. My mother always had to put stuff on layaway when I was growing up. Now, what are parents supposed to do? Save up and just hope that maybe the stores will still have the "it" toy of the season the week before Christmas/birthday/etc.? Most wal-mart shoppers go to walmart because they can't afford other places (myself included).

• St
      27th of Mar, 2008

I too think the Lay Away plan being cancelled was a great disservice. You can barely get around without a credit card. The world is in too much debt because of companies like this.
    Their service and system sucks bad. I have quit buying from them.

23rd of Jun, 2009

You start a Christmas fund for your purchases. What's wrong with that? One of the reasons Layaway is gone is because people would either stop paying on it 2 months later or change their mind and cancel There is not enough room to hold these items as people want more variety of product and that takes more room. Plus, after people decide they don't want it, it might be out of season or discontinued and then the store has to mark it down.

• 0 Votes

At My wal-mart before the layaway stopped we had someone who paid $700 roughly for a television. He said he had no room for it so it was later returned, repurchased and put on layaway he paid a dollar less. It took six months of calling to get him to pick up the television.

Then we had an incident where the security guard would steal Nintendo Wii's from employees, the employees would get a refund since they were scarce and none was left. He would resell the stolen Wii's at half price. They later found out what was going on and matched the identification numbers.

lcyoro - The Wal-marts in Canada were different, we never allowed Layaway on seasonal items, but we got rid of Layaway for the same reasons you did.

24th of Jun, 2009

Trevorr - In seasonal items I was refering to something like clothing. I would understand not putting Halloween costumes on Layaway! lol! As for the thievery going on, I just don't see how these things are not caught a heck of a lot sooner. "They" say "everything is on camera", so I why aren't they caught? You would think with the Telxon and everything that they would notice quicker. At least on something so scarce as the Wii. But then, we don't have security guards, either. And only 2 people check in the high dollar stuff and then they bring it directly to the department. So if anything is missing, the first place to look would be the 2 people checking it in.

whose kenny?

• 0 Votes

Ha we had a manager stealing for years till she was caught. Because they all liked her (home office)instead of pressing charges and firing her they asked her to quit.

24th of Jun, 2009

Yeah, we had an Assistant Manager fired for "Integrity issues". And for almost a year, no one got their MyShare bonuses and a hiring freeze. I heard the regional manager got fired for embezzling. Some how that affected the bonuses. So i don't understand why Walmart didn't make good on those bonuses and issue them to the associates that worked hared for them! I wouldn't have gotten any of them anyway as I was a recent hire. Some people are only honest to a oint, then see an opening and steal like hell! You would think there would be many safeguards for this!