Walmart / health insurance

1 Attleboro, MA, United States Review updated:

Walmart is making me pay $1000 before they will cover me on their health insurance plan. They are taking money out of my check every week, but I have to pay the $1000 deductible before they will cover anything. I make $9/hr working for them...I can't afford $1000!!!

I keep trying to go to the doctor, but the appointments are costing me $100, $250 etc.

How can they call this health insurance???

They also refused to cover my partner because they stated that same-sex health coverage is illegal in the state of Rhode Island (where we live)...it is not illegal. THEN they took money from my check for the amount it would cost to cover her..but without actually covering her!!! I ended up paying for the health coverage they refused her!

Comments

27th of Nov, 2009

Walmart will be sorry when Obama Care takes over... they are horrible to work for, my mom worked there for 16 years and they took her position away.. they expect someone who wont even make 1000.00 a month pay for that ### insurance? I am sorry.. you deserve better!

• Ap
      1st of Jul, 2015

I hear ya. I just became eligible for my employer offered (Walmart) health insurance. And I was looking at the coverages. I see the only copay is on preventive services, prescriptions and my vision plan. From what I am seeing I have to pay 100% till I meet the deductible ($2500) for all other services, once I meet the deductible then they will pay 75% till I meet the out of pocket maximum, when they will finally pay 100 percent.

I had Affordable Care Act insurance till this month, I am no longer eligible for the subsidies because Walmart offered me insurance. But the ACA insurance was a better deal with the subsidies than the Walmart insurance without. I had copays for all my medical visits, PCP, Specialist, etc. But under Walmart's insurance only the PCP has a copay and again for only preventive services.

I can't afford to pay a $2500 deductible, especially when I am due to see a specialist in a week. A specialist is not preventive services so I will have to pay out of pocket for the visit, a service I really can't afford without a copay.