Walgreens Pharmacy / inconsiderate company

1 19116Philadelphia, PA, United States Review updated:

I have been working at Walgreens for five and a half years. I have learned every area of the store, except pharmacy. This includes photo, cosmetics, main, sims and have worked the stock room. I constantly watch people get hired in the company one day and then a year later are management. I have busted my ###, not goofing off, listening to mangement, being polite to the customers, etc. When I went for an interview for assistant manager I was told in exact words, "You don't have super star quality." The thing that irks me even more is that my EXA- step below store manager, doesn't even know photo, which is mandatory for all management. How do you know more then even some managers and get turned down???? I am not one to complain about much. I haven't ever gone to district and complained about how our store manager belittles everyone in the store, thinking that he is smarter then everyone else. He has very little respect for people in general, including the customers. He has made every woman in our store cry at some point. The sad thing about it, this is the type of people district looks for as management, not kind and considerate people, but people who treat their employees like ###. It's not that I didn't have "super star" quality, it is that I don't have "###" quality. Another thing is they push for the employees to sell the "Item of the Month" so much, that some people have even been threatened to lose their job if they didn't sell more. That is the reason they gave me for not getting a mangement position. I didn't sell enough. They want the employees to pester every single customer that walks through the door. I thought it was a freaking pharmacy not Telemarketing. I didn't know the quality of my worth was based on how much I sell. We have actually had customers complain about being bothered every time they come in, to buy the the Item of the Month. People don't want to be haressed when alot of them are elderly and just coming in to get their perscription filled. All in all, I think Mr. Walgreens would be disappointed to see his family company become just another victim to coperate america. Walgreens used to care about their employees, now they only care about opening stores and sucking people of every dime they have. They look at loyal employees as dispensable, and have even used the economy as a means to scare them into doing things they didn't have to do before. I would not recommend this establishment as a place to work.

Comments

• Ha
      6th of May, 2009

business and management are all about the dollar - thats how it is, if you want that position - better get tough cause its like that everywhere.

go try to sell cars and be nice - see how that goes?

or go to best buy and sell electronics - need to push the extended warranties.

its business.

• Aa
      6th of May, 2009

Yeah, Harold, it's business but it stinks.

Walgreens is pretty far from a perfect place to work and honestly you could do a lot better than management. I for one do not aspire to the lowly heights of walgreens managment; they don't get paid very well for what they do and you have a 75% chance to end up working for some satan-spawn who believes they're put on earth to be as big a ### as possible...all in the name of the bottom line.

I could go on ALL FREAKING DAY about this kind of crap but it really is everywhere. Even if you did complain to district nothing would be done. I have a few walgreens horror stories I could share but I won't be cause I like my anonymity.

I have two pieces of advice for you:

1) Go to school for a healthcare related job; high demand, often reasonable school requirements, much better pay than walgreens.

2) Take a deep breath before you go into work, put on your best smile and remember that you are better than the people who perpetuate this type of atmosphere at work. Think of your time at walgreens as temporary, the troubles as transitory; make your mantra "this, too, shall pass".

Finally, ask yourself a very important question:

Do you REALLY want to work for someone who says in all seriousness "You don't have super star quality" in reference to a management position making about 12 to 14 an hour...

You're better than that.

• Un
      15th of Jul, 2009

I'm a Walgreens assistant manager and I totally agree with everyone here. I've been labeled "bad" because I informed my store manager that I didn't want to be a store manager, I wanted to work in the district office. Instead of that being a good thing, I was told that I was wasting a space in the store for someone who could be a store manager. But the funny thing is that they are slowing down the new store opening rate, so they really need people like me until the openings speed up again. Too bad for them. As of today I'm looking for a new job.

• 12
      7th of Nov, 2010

I work at Walgreens, 1 hour photo, and they are slave drivers. Trying to get as much out of you as they can for $8 an hour. They didn't train me very well, I was rushed through my computer training, ppls, by my store manager. My district manager came to the take care clinic one day and ended up getting sent to the hospital. When I saw the ambulance out there for him I was like "good, hope he's in there for a while." I usually am a nice person and don't think like that but this guy deserved it for putting such stupid asinine expectations on his stores just because we have a recession going on. And why don't I see any black people working at Walgreens? They know that black people won't take their [censor] so they just don't bother to hire them. If a black person is reading this please apply at Walgreens, don't get the job and then proceed to sue them for discrimination. You will be my hero. The problem I have with Walgreens is that they only put 1 person in photo at all times, ALL TIMES. Then when you call for help no one gives a [censor], but your expected to help the front register all the time. Then the photo head gets mad at you when you have too many late orders in the system. It's like they think you can split yourself in half to do every thing. The district manager gets mad when you have too many late orders and NO ONE waits in line at walgreens, so you must always take customers from the front registers. When I am running the photo lab a manager walks by with a cart of [censor] for me to put away. Like I don't have enough to do already. Horrible slave drivers and our district manager is the son of Satin. I have worked at many retail stores, even Walmart, and Walgreens and Lifetouch Photos are the worst.

• 12
      7th of Nov, 2010

If your not black, don't apply at Walgreens. If you are black, apply there and then find the perfect opportunity to sue them.