Walgreen's (DFW-TX area) / Pharmacy refills

1 south Ft Worth area, TX, United States Review updated:

I did an online refill request for a "schedule 4" medication. Walgreen's filled it, my insurance approved and paid for it...now the pharmacist is telling me that I cannot pick up my prescription for 5 more days since I "should" have 5 pills left. Is this legal for them to withold a medication that has been approved and already PAID for by my insurance company? I have a copy from my insurance web site that states that the refill was approved and paid for 3 days ago. The pharmacist said that since this is a "schedule 4" (Provigil) mediation he can't release it until 30 days from the last refill...even though my insurance pays for refills at 23 days. Can anyone give me some advice? I'm so tired of Walgreen's getting SO MUCH money from myself and my insurance! And yes, I WILL be switching pharmacies after this!
Thank you so much for any help!

Ke

Comments

• Sh
      25th of Jun, 2010

As I remember it, Walgreens will not refill a script if you have more than 2 days worth left. Could have changed it to make it more restrictive. I don't get the schedule 4 business as it's not a narcotic. I don't use them anymore as I can get my refill cheaper elsewhere without the restrictive policy.

• Ki
      10th of Jul, 2010

Yep. The general rule is 2 days. So most stores will let you pick up controlled medications 28 days from the last time you got them. But some stores are very strict about it being 30 days exactly. Also, if you've made a habit of picking up controlled medication early (not that you have, but if you did), they would see it in your profile and be less inclined to let you have them early.

Tough luck. It has nothing to do with your insurance. It's Walgreens policy, and state law in most cases.