Walgreens / stolen merchandise - nobody cares!

The other day I was at the checkout counter at Walgreens. There were at least three employees standing around. Only one that was busy, which was the lady ringing up my items that I was purchasing.

While standing there I happened to notice a very young suspicious man (probably in his late teens to early twenties) quickly, and nervously walk out the door setting off the security theft system. I was totally shocked to see that not one of the three employees even so much as acknowledged the fact that this young man just stole merchandise from them! There is no possible way that they didn't see or hear the same thing I had just witnessed? I came to the conclusion that they just didn't care! Now I realize that perhaps they chose not to go after or confront the perpetrator for their own safety, that's one thing! But they literally acted as if they didn't have a care in the world! It's sad if this is what the world is coming to! Is theft and robbery in these neighborhoods such a common thing that people just don't care anymore? And the fact that nobody does anything about it, just condones it, and sets them and others up for more robberies in the future.

Va

Comments

Wi
  28th of Jan, 2008

Those alarms often go off as I leave, because the cashiers don't demagnetize the tags (sometimes hidden inside the box). I wait until someone waves me on or I get no reaction, as in the case you saw. Then I need to worry that it'll repeat in every store I visit. The tags should respond only to merchandise from the store where they are.

Re
  12th of Mar, 2008

You also need to take into account that sometimes an ID tag from someone's place of employment will also set off our security systems. We have had small children set them off for no reason. Most of the security tags are put in place at the warehouse and the employees do not know exactly what merchandise has these tags and what doesn't. They are supposed to scan every item as if they do.

Le
  17th of Jul, 2008

And don't forget this... Once the person exits the store, there is absolutely NO STOPPING the perp. Unfortunately, or maybe fortunately, the law prevents businesses from tracking down and stomping a mudhole in people who steal. Case in point. Former assistant manager at a retail outlet followed thief out, punched out window of car, yanked perp out, and threw him to ground. Manager was given discipline citation by corporate office for not following procedure, and was lucky charges were not pressed by local authorities. Go figure?

Li
  20th of Jul, 2008

Walgreens employees are trained not to endanger ourselves by chasing after thieves. And, unfortunately, theft is often so common in many stores that, even though the employees were probably inwardly upset about the theft, they are used to it happening.
And as others mentioned already, ID tags and security tags that haven't been deactivated may have triggered the alarm system. Some people's cell phones and iPods also can activate the alarm. There would have been no way of knowing exactly what had happened without searching the customer, which we're not allowed to do.

Jo
  16th of Nov, 2008

Where exactly was this Walgreens?

An
  16th of Nov, 2008

This world has already become killings and thievery have you been living under a rock? The employees were probably trained to act like nothing happened or they probably noticed and didn't want to start a commotion. There is literally thousands of reasons why they didn't react to the beeping and i for one agree that the stupid thing goes off all the time. It's honestly put there to scare people into thinking they cant shoplift(i should know because i worked at a store that had 1 and i talked to the AP) but reality is they do it anyway. So if you think about it there are security cameras all over the store and if no one was paying attention oh well who cares its there own fault they lost money you didn't. Why put a complaint on here that signals every criminal to go out and rob a Walgreen's because now they know the employees don't care and they it was because of you they can get away with it. WAY TO GO GENIUS!

18th of Mar, 2009

I work at Walgreens. Those alarms go off all the time, sometimes for no reason. We are supposed to write down every time they do and there is even a category on the official forms where you can mark it as a "ghost." Cell phones can set it off, id cards, tags from purchases from other stores, etc. One time, a manager walked out the doors, the alarms went off, when she came back through them, they did not go off. There is a child who comes into our store often - he doesn't have anything in his possession that would set off the alarms and yet they go off every time he goes near them. As for someone actually stealing, we are NOT allowed to accuse customers of anything no matter what the situation (even in cases of counterfeit bills). If the alarm does go off, technically the procedure is to ask them to return to the counter so that their items can be desensitized. But, if they refuse to come back in the store, or if they continue to walk away, we are not allowed to pursue. Most people just don't want to be bothered so they don't come back - most employees get a little tired of asking. I once reported two boys stealing Monster energy drinks to a manager. When she asked where they were I told her they're right outside the doors hanging around, she said to just let it go, once they're out of the store thats it, and even if they had been in the store we really shouldn't do anything (her words). If someone was to actually come into the store and rob us, we are taught this: do not make eye contact, tell the person what you are going to do before you do it, but more than anything COMPLY! Do not make waves, don't start a commotion. We're not even allowed to keep an eye on people acting suspicious for fear of a prospective customer taking offense. The company itself restricts us from doing anything, whether we care or not.

Ra
  25th of May, 2009

See Walgreens is all about the bottom line meaning penny wise pound foolish to the highest extant possible having a security guard at the door
discourages most crooks except the ones who already have been to jail
for other crimes and those crooks are sophisticated enough to remove any security devices that might be on the item. A security guard if hired by walgreens itself wouldnt cost more than $100 per shift so have
him come in after 3 pm which when most school kids are coming out and the evening rush starts problem solved ! well its not so easy for
corp sleazebags who are either to cheap or stupid to implement because
$100 is approx few otc item some cosmetics candies etc which probably disappears in a couple of hours. The only other thing which comes to mind for such complaceny/stupidity is tax write offs at end of the year which prob help this min wage blood sucker turn a even higher profit margin, rip the people of while paying them and stil steal more from the same tax payers thru creative accounting at the end of the year nice huh ?

Go
  4th of Jun, 2009

The only thing that you saw was a guy walk out of a Walgreens and an alarm go off. You did not "witness" him stealing anything. As posters have mentioned, the alarm can go off for any number of reasons. Take your ranting about today's society somewhere else.

Aw
  4th of Jun, 2009

I HAVE TO COMMENT ON HOW DISRESPECTFUL SOME EMPLOYEES TREAT THEIR MANAGEMENT TEAM!!! FIRST OFF I AM NOT MGT!!! BUT IT SEEMS LIKE THERE ARE TOO MANY CHIEFS AND NOT ENOUGH INDIANS AT MY WALGREENS...TOO MANY PEOPLE ARE BICKERING ABOUT HOW MUCH WORK ONE PERSON ISN'T DOING WHILE THEY ARE ALL STANDING IN A SMALL HUDDLE!! BUT ANYWAY BACK TO THE MANAGEMENT SITUATION...I ONLY HAVE TIME TO GIVE ONE SCENARIO...ONE DAY I WAS WALKING DOWN THE AISLE AND HEARD A CLERK TELL THE MANAGER ON DUTY "YOU AIN'T NOBODY LIL BOY! GET THE F... OUT MY FACE" NOW, THE STORE MANAGER, 3 CLERKS, AND ANOTHER ASSISTANT HEARD THIS COMMENT BUT NO ONE SAID A WORD..

Ma
  29th of Jun, 2009

Those tags are a joke!! They don't work 90% of the time and when they do work, it's too late. They are used as a deterant not a solution of theft. Alert staff and observant customers are the only solution to the problem. Unfortunatly, too many staff don't care (or involved) and too many customers don't want to steo forward for fear of being brought into the sinario unnecessarily. The best thing you can do is tell the manager (let's hope they care) and back them up if they deside to confront the thief. My personal experience with this is, if they steal, they go to jail. I don't care if it's a pack of gum or a pack of diapers (I've seen both). The word will get out that your store doesn't put up with any B.S. and eventually theft will decrease. I have worked for Wag for 17 yrs. and I have seen just about everything possible in a Walgreens. Boy can I tell some stories.

Mg
  29th of Jun, 2009

It's possible the alarm went off when he walked in the door for no reason at all and that is why the employees did not respond. Plus once a theif is out of the door, the employee can not touch him do to liability reasons. The employee also has to physically see the theif steal something before action can take place. Speculation means nothing in a court of law.

Ba
  13th of Jan, 2010

i happen to work for walgreeens and ive been in such situation where i, (being the cashier right by the doors), see someone suspicious walking out and they beep. but the thing is whether i do or dont call for assistance at the door, why should anyone risk their life chasing after a thief? so many employees are threated verbally or physically. i know many employees who have been close to being shot or stabbed when they try to chase after a thief. and to top it off what do you expect us to do? yell and scream "stop!". i doubt theyll listen. they are alrady at the door.we are not secruity or policemen. we do what we can. if you have a complaint about theft at walgeens, dont complain about the employees, complain to corp walgreens and ask them why they wont assign security officers at the stores with high theft. risking my life is not part of my job.

It
  31st of Dec, 2010

My understanding is that Walgreens do not want their employees to stop people that steal from their stores. My son (in Memphis) was reprimanded for putting a young man in the office for stealing. In my opinion, this allows Walgreens to file a police report and file a claim for God knows what. Not only this but there seems to be a PUSH (in my opinion) to fire Black managers by the White loss preventation team (White Males) . The Gender/Race discrimination seems to be continuing at Walgreens.

7th of Apr, 2011

Forgive the lazy employees, but in their defense there is nothing we can do once they leave the building. We can notify a manager, whom will notify loss prevention, but essentially it is useless. Once a customer steps out the front door, we cannot do anything. We can not follow them out and confront them, which any employee would be idiotic to do. If we were to accuse them of stealing and they did not, then we would be held liable for discrimination. It goes like this at any Walmart, KMart, Hyvee, whatever. Unless we have them on tape sticking the merchandise in their pocket and stop them before they step front out the door, its a loss case. Stupid policy. Yes, to answer your other question theft is common and nobody cares anymore because nobody is going to stop. We condone it because nobody can afford [censor] in this [censor] economy and especially not off our [censor] Walgreens pay.

7th of Apr, 2011

Oh and most stores have a "friend to friend" relationship with the managers...because they are employees just like us. Kids whom hate their [censor]ing job cause of you nasty [censor]ing customers!!!