[Resolved] Walden University / cost, lack of response, grievance filed without so much as an acknowledgment...the list goes on!

United States Review updated:

Walden is a money trap! They do not reply to concerns let alone ADDRESS them! They can't retain quality faculty at this point and it is beginning to be quite evident! I began my Dissertation to have my Chair leave the University. Ok, new Chair. She took three months to reply to anything I submitted! New Chair and frustrations sent to "advising". Still working on the dissertation and the University fails to acknowledge that there was any wrongdoing on their part...it's "my problem" and I'm certainly paying for it!

• Resolution statement

• Walden University Customer Care's Response, Apr 01, 2019

At Walden University, we take the concerns and experiences of our students very seriously, and wish to hear from you if your experience did not meet your expectations, so that we can work with you to try to resolve your concerns. If you would like to discuss your specific situation, we are here to help you.

If you are a current student, or attended Walden within the past year, please contact us by clicking on this link to complete this form https://www.emailmeform.com/builder/form/a01on77Qb5e5z1I and provide us with specific details of your situation, and one of our school managers will contact you.

If you are a former Walden University student who last attended Walden more than one year ago, please contact [protected]@mail.waldenu.edu and provide us with your name, student ID, program of study, dates of enrollment, location, and specific details of your situation, and a Walden representative will contact you.

Comments

• Ph
      Feb 25, 2010

I agree with you, Walden is a Money Trap. I was in my Dissertation in the Public Health-Epi. program. My second quarter in my dissertation my chair had not even communicated anything to me. He never returned email and never gave any input into my dissertation process. I followed the correct policies to file a complaint. I never had ANY help from Advisors or the Dean. Matter-of-Fact when I sent a complaint to the Dean, he sent back an email stating that he was out of town for the next 3 months. I was told I had to find a chair replacement on my own.By this time, I was exhausted so I found another Doctoral program at the University of Alabama at Birmingham and completed that program. No, my courses did not transfer either. I had to start over. Walden University has one goal " to make money" and they do not care about helping students finish their doctoral degrees. I really believe if enough people get together a Class Action Law Suit can be made against Walden University for these same reasons. I want my loans canceled out from Walden University for extortion and failing to provide the education services they have in writing.

• Di
      Apr 19, 2010

I totally agree with you. I am going through the same issues with Walden. I am trying to complete my dissertation and I had issues with my chair. I made complaints about my situation and I got the run around. I just had a chair resigned in the middle of my work and I filed for a tuition waiver and it was denied because my former chair lied and said I did not complete the work and they denied my request. I am with anyone who is willing to file a class action suit against Walden.

• Lf
      Dec 15, 2010
    Best Best Advice

I am in the same situation has the others who have had negative experiences with Walden. I agree if there are enough of us we could attempt to file a law suite to retrieve our tuition back. I would have to believe that there are more then just three of us who had a negative experience with walden university?

• Fi
      Dec 28, 2010

Wow, I wish I saw these comments before enrolling. I am having major issues with them as we speak. I agree with taking them to court. Please if so let me know, I will be available.

• Dr
      Dec 30, 2010

I graduated in 2001 with a Human Services PhD, and everything went as smoothly as could be expected (which is to say it was not without problems). Human error is extant in all human endeavor, as is the propensity to diminish personal responsibility.

• Ap
      Apr 02, 2011

I am a current student at Walden and I have only need 2 classes to graduate for the last 4 months, they keep canceling my classes due to lack of enrollment (meaning they don't have enough other students to feel its worth teaching me the class becuase they wont make enough money) so they have continuously canceled my classes for the last 4 months and I cant finish my Bachelors Degree.
    I have been ignored, lied too, and simply disregarded without reply to phone calls, emails and continuous referrals to other people in different departments.
    I am trying to find a way to legally sue the school with the help of a attorney which I cant afford right now.

• Re
      Apr 29, 2011

Thank GOD I found out about Walden University before I got to the Doctoral Program. I was in their Masters Program. Their instructors are less than professional, are sensitive and are quick to throw up the fact that they have one more degree than you do. Their staff and employees are incompetent. I filed a leave of absence, their advising team (who gives bad advice) dropped the ball and my LOA turned into an F for the class. Not to mention many other problems that I had with them during the duration of my enrollment with them. I had 3 more class to go before graduating with my masters degree. I decided to cut my losses and leave. Im not paying them any more money. But only two of my classes transferred over and I have to basically start all over again. I would like my money back but I dont know how to go about filing for it. I believe if we all stick together that we can sue the college. The dean does not care!! Does not answer emails. They use the fact that they are an online college as a means to send you around in circles. Nobody knows what they are doing. My question is simply, "What does it take to become an employee at Walden University?' Be a dean? An instructor? Or do you just have to below average and have low standards? I dont want a degree from an institute such as this. Theyre accredidation may be a joke in a couple of years, and it is definitely not a college for the working adult as theyre sales pitch says. For one thing you spend way too much time filing grievances and petitions. Plus, they pick up a bunch of trash and an endless amount of junk, dump it into our coursework, then call it "homework". I will never refer anyone to walden (lower case intentional) and regret the valuable time I lost there, none the wiser! Im up for a class action suit as well...

• Or
      May 08, 2011

Has anyone actually filed a lawsuit against this university? Is there a class action suit filed? I am a doctoral student in Org Psy; my chair just left abruptly; that is the fourth chair I have had so far. This place may be a scam but with too much money invested unless I get a refund or forgiven my loans I have to get my PhD; no matter how worthless it is I want it. Am interested in any one pursuing a lawsuit against this scamming university.

• Th
      May 23, 2011

I haven't even enrolled yet and I'm having issues with getting the questions I have answered at all. I was interested in enrolling for the Masters in Forensic Psychology but its like pulling teeth to get any type of response from anyone. I've gotten tons of emails but that's about it. I am SOOOOOO glad I found this site! I'm not a fan of complaining but this is one time I'm thankful for people complaining and putting it in writing.

• Rh
      May 25, 2011

Hello,

Do I need to be the person to start the class action suit agianst Walden?????????

• Bi
      Jun 17, 2011

This school is a joke. I want all my student loan forgiven.

• Le
      Oct 29, 2011

I think we should all probably come together for a law suit as I now owe upwards of 100, 000.00 due to that horrible school. They are deceptive and money thieves. I never got a job in that particular field and the dissertation courses seemed to go on forever and ever as I continued to take loans. If anyone can help me with doing that please email me [protected]@yahoo.com. Thank you.

• Jc
      Nov 09, 2011

I am interested in pursuing a class-action lawsuit against them, as well. They are liars and scammers - only interested in getting every last drop of money out of their students. I was told that I only needed 2 classes and my thesis to graduate, and then after I finished the first class, they said OOOOPS!!! You actually need SEVEN classes to graduate!!! What a bunch of scammers! I've already invested almost $60, 000 in my Master's degree at Walden, so what am I supposed to do? They didn't even accept all of the previous classes I had taken there a few years back, so that was just wasted money (thousands of dollars that I still have to pay!). Now, they want me to pay almost $20K more! These people are just out to make a profit. They do not care about us.

• Ab
      Dec 30, 2011

Beginning of 3rd term. Had issues changing from one specialty to another last term; dept chair took their sweet time approving the change. I had to write the Ombudsman before they reacted at all --- and even then it wook two more weeks to get my request through. I'm a straight "A" 4.0 student but the following term, the one I was enrolled in as we speak, my grades dove to Cs. I filled out a Leave Of Absence and now they're taking their sweet time sending the money back to the lender. I'm going to contact the lender and let them know what is going on. I'm also submitting a complaint to The Minnesota Board of Education regardless. If anybody starts a class action suit post it here, I'll be more than happy to add my name to the docket. For those who are saying Walden's just in it for the money, it is a "for profit" institution. What does that mean? It means they are supposed to place you into a job when you graduate - perhaps this is why so many of their own graduates end up working for them. Look it up, "For profit educational institutes." You'll see it plain as day.

• Ka
      Apr 18, 2012

I started at Walden for my PhD work and I was getting close to my college loan limit. I stayed on the financial aid office asking every week if my new student loan request had went through and was told repeatedly via email that all looked well and that I should just attend the first class and I would be fine. I sent them an email the first week of class and also called them to find out the status on the loan and was told once again that everything was ok and that I was good to go. The second week of class I got a "debt owed" notice from financial aid telling me that I owed $2500 for the class and I called and emailed again and they said "don't worry. all is well" It wasn't till the third week of the semester I was told that I had reached my loan limit and that I now owed the money from my own personal account! I cancelled out of the class immediately but they are now harrassing me for the full amount of the class! I even offered $500 for the amount of time I spent in the class and was told that "Walden doesn't accept negotiations!" SO YES I want to be in on this class action suit sign me up.

• Dc
      May 06, 2012

I too would like to be included .. Even if it's not a class action suit .. the accrediting authorities should be informed.
    I to am too close to quit but thing this school is the biggest scam there ever was. Overpriced money misappropriation of resources. I have email's and proof that I was lied to ... if anyone cares. The unfortunate thing ... they have bigger legal pockets than anyone else and it will take another university or similar organization to discredit them.

• Bl
      May 07, 2012

Please help!!! We all need to get together and file a class action lawsuit against Walden University. The biggest mistake in my life was to enroll in a Ph.D program from this university. The professors are incompetent and do not try to help you achieve your goal--I don't believe most of them really know how to help and if they did, they really don't care. I fault the head. The faculty would not be so brazen if the top did not encourage it--this means to drain every cent out of you that they can and to make you look like you are the incompetent one. They need to be made to pay the student loans of many students back.. This would cause the top brass to care about students. we need to continue these posts and get started with the class action lawsuit.

Jun 02, 2012

Don't WASTE your $$$$$$$$$$$$$ EdD Program Walden Ed D program DON'T WASTE YOUR MONEY!!! I have been w/Walden in Ed.D program since 2006. I have been attempting to get the URR to approve my dissertation, which my chair and co chair OK'd. No Luck! It seems the URR has no clue about my topic and the achievement gap for Latino students. There has been NO MOVEMENT since the first week of October, when my chair submitted the dissertation.
    Any one else have these issues. I will NEVER RECOMMED WALDEN TO ANYONE. I could have gone to Seton Hall, joined the fast track cohort and been done in 2 years for LESS $$ and not have to defend my doing an Ed.D online. What a mistake! I will never recommend Walden; in fact I will dissuade anyone from taking courses at Walden!
    I am in process of having my attorney review my emails and other materials as I prep for a lawsuit

• Ed
      Jul 18, 2012

I agree with you all, I have been working on my doctoral program with Walden for 5 years and to no avail. I have student loans at a total of $68, 000 now. I would like to begin the proceedings on filing a class action suit. They have had several presidents to date, I have contacted two of them, but to no avail. Together we can have them answer for their clear unethical practices.

Sep 08, 2012

I spoke with an attorney from Minneapolis, and he said if we got enough people, we COULD file a class action lawsuit against Walden. He also said we need to contact our Congressmen to get on board. If you want to do this, contact me at [protected]@yahoo.com. They've screwed me one too many semesters.

Sep 08, 2012

I contacted a lawyer, and he said that if we get enough people, we can file a lawsuit. Contact me if you are interested: [protected]@yahoo.com. He also said to tell your congressman.

• Bj
      Oct 03, 2012

I am in absoloute agreement! I am just finishing my MS in Mental Health Counseling and only have practicum/internship to go. This f'd up staff failed to communicate new policy to students and I have now had to drop my practicum and extend my graduation for 3 months. I looked into transferring credits and yea, no... so I'm screwed with 100k invested not going to give up. I do plan on filing a suit due to this issue that the school failed to act on. I quit my job to complete my practicum and they waited until end of week 4 (we all know we have 12 weeks so this is 1/4 way through) to tell me off site was a new policy and cannot occur... WHAT? I quit my job for this site! And NOW after being there 4 weeks you tell me no? GO F yourself Walden! I will graduate, but not without some sort of payoff. I got my bachelor's and didn't have any issues until this point. I hate this school is the biggest ripoff and ZERO ACCOUNTABILITY!

Oct 08, 2012

File a petition against Walden and also with the HLC. It speaks volumes...and definitely mention your Dept. Head's name and cc it to him/her. Everything I do now I cc to everyone, including Walden's President and Dean. Voices carry and the Dept. Heads don't like their names getting mentioned...Believe me!

• Yo
      Oct 29, 2012

Please tell me that a lawsuit is in the works. If so, please include me to the list. I have had it with Walden. It appears that my situation is not that different from most of the postings. I'm too far in it to get out less I lose all the money invested and start over at another university. I can't afford that so I press on...mentally exhausted and physically frustrated and angry throughout the program. The AYR was an unbelievable experience and a total joke, a true waste of money and time. I learned nothing helpful for a psychologist until the last residency where new information was given that I could use. Walden knows they are not acknowledged by APA but they do nothing to compensate their students for this by assisting them in finding practicum or internships programs, or set up a network of companies through their professors that would support their students. They say they are about social change but they don’t apply this in a way that helps their students. I cried so much that my employer found a group of professionals to create a practicum and internship for me. Now that I am working on my dissertation, my chair resigns from the university, disgruntle over the way Walden works and their lack of educational standards, and the second chair I find they rejected. I wrote letters to the dean, research department, the program directors... I got the run around. Only when I threaten to go to the media and the national accreditation programs did they agree to let the professor be my chair. I have had it with Walden. Walden has cost me a lot of emotional stress. I have been to hell and back with this university. I had to see a psychologist due to the depression. I have spent so much money, but like some of you, I am so far into the program that I can't back out and start over again. I have one year to go. I am the only person in my family to have an advanced degree. So many people are supporting me that I can't let them down by dropping out of Walden and starting over. I can't afford it. Please tell me things are moving forward with the lawsuit. I know I'm responding to a two year old idea. If you have any information about a lawsuit please let me know. [protected]@msn.com.

• Ka
      Dec 20, 2012

Walden University is the worse educational institution I have ever been involved in. I have been working on my dissertation process for five quarters. I have switched committee chairs and still no feedback, help, mentoring. NOTHING. Really!!! I am now out of a lot of money for no reason. I will be filing a law suit. They should be made to pay for holding up my life.

• Wa
      Dec 31, 2012

Walden only cares about money. They keep dissertation students from progressing too fast so they can get more money out of them. Even when they have nothing wrong with their research, the professors make up some problem or say that walden puts out new requirements every week. How can anyone get to the end of the program if they always have to be making changes to their paper before they can get to the next stages of their research. They whole thing is a scam to get money. I will join a class action suit against walden. You can reach me at [protected]@yahoo.com

• Cy
      Jan 29, 2013

now i see why some of my coworkers "illegally" got there practicum approved. I wish I had not taken breaks and been able to fore go the Walden Legal department, who makes practicum experiences almost impossible to start not to mention complete. Class action lawsuits must happen now. I will totally sign up if not help to start . This is absolutely ridiculous and unbecoming of a CCNE accredited university!

• Js
      Feb 11, 2013

i All,
    I to am a victim of the disaster known as Walden University!!
    Is anyone making any headway toward a class action lawsuit? Any help from any government entities?
    My situation exactly matches several of the scenarios above. EDD Student for 7 years. Horrible advisors, teachers who never returned my emails, calls, or my submitted drafts.
    Worst mistake of my life, now I will be paying $1000 a month for the next 10 years to repay my student loans.

• Js
      Feb 11, 2013

One more link for us to connect

• Ms
      Mar 27, 2013

Let's have a class action lawsuit for money scam!
    Please contact me
    [protected]@yahoo.com

• Ce
      May 01, 2013

I am filing a class action. If you are interested, send me your email.

• Dr
      Nov 11, 2018

@CestMoi dr.[protected]@rocketmail.com

• Ce
      May 01, 2013

I am filing a class action. If you are interested, send me an email.

Jun 06, 2013

please add me to your complaint my email is [protected]@hotmail.com

• Fe
      Jul 17, 2013

Please add me to the list for a class action lawsuit. i have spent over $50, 000 and 6 years to make no progress whatsoever on my dissertation. I get lots of excuses and slow responses and no worthwhile guidance to finish my degree. What a scam!

My email is:
    [protected]@comcast.net

Sep 07, 2013

I have kept a record of all the ways that Walden delays student progress, emails and documents. I have also sent complaints to Senator Harkin's committee investigating for profit universities. The university has a very well established process for bleeding students of every conceivable penny by what I call "institutionalized delay". Now that I have removed my second committee, the university has manipulated the situation to try and keep me from completing my dissertation even though it is written. This is ironic inasmuch as I've published several articles and a book on the topic and am cited at international conferences. NOTE: I have identified two law firms that have successfully sued for profit universities. Those cases hinge on claims of career advancement or job placement. I have also discussed a legal action with a local attorney. That was one reason Walden has already refunded one quarter of tuition to me. Now that I have petitioned for refund of another quarter of tuition, the university has put me in a Catch 22 situation by the way they manipulate petition forms. I can be reached at [protected]@aol.com. It is time to organize legal action.

Oct 11, 2013

I also want to join in on the class action lawsuit against Walden. My email address if [protected]@verizon.net

Oct 12, 2013

OK. Who wants to take the lead to organize emails and communication? We should approach this as a team and lay out a strategy. We can determine law firm, organizing facts/experiences/emotional damage and such. We can also seek out other Walden students. When we get a good law firm, we can follow the lawyers lead. I am willing to kick in several hundred dollars a month for legal fees. I want all of the money that I invested in Walden back - pay off the student loans - and then I want damages for consuming 6 years of my life.

• Cr
      Oct 16, 2013

I must tell you all a terrible and true life story that is continuing as of this minute. What started as my sister in law's dream and life long goal, has turned into a nightmare of frustrations and atrocities. My sister in law, is at this time, home sobbing due to her instructor telling her that during her practicum, which is a practice internship which prepares an individual for the rigors of a six hundred hour internship, that she has until this Tuesday, October 22nd, to withdraw. Wednesday, October 23rd, will give her an incomplete. She has tried to no avail to reason with the instructor, whom up until now has given no indicators for six weeks that anything was amiss. Now in week seven and for the last two days, Walden University now has many problems with her practicum and they university is treating this as if it is my sister in laws fault. The university is ruthless and unmerciful in their quest to fail my sister in law. They have, over and over again set her up to fail and at this point I am beside myself and I feel so very helpless. I have spent many days on the road trying to help her obtain what should of been a rather simple 100 hour practicum. Walden University offered no support, only deadlines. Gave no help whatsoever in finding a suitable institution qualified to help her in her practicum and lastly their up to date list of several sites is 5 years old and absolutely outdated. When we finally landed a practicum, we were so relieved and elated. She was finally on the right track, until Walden decided to change the game plan. Like a small child that can't get their way when playing a game they changed the rules. Papers that were turned in by her site supervisor were inconsistent and unclear, as were hers. Her site supervisor has 22 years experience and has had many interns was told that he writes papers like a MSW instead of an LLC. He instructor decided on Monday to tell my sister in law that at this time her outlook in the class is not looking very good. My sister in law, was shocked and stated that she has 372 points out of 391 and her instructor told her that she may want to consider another practicum with another institution. This phone call occurred right after the instructor and the supervisor butted heads. The instructor then backed up and punted, sending a well thought out cover your rear end email, shifting blame and responsibility onto my sister in law. Then to make matters worse the first paragraph states that three Deans from the University and my sister will discuss her decision to withdraw and the support that she will readily receive from the University. She absolutely does not want to withdraw, but like she says they fail her and she must start all over again and that will be a $70, 000 dream gone! I sit her and cry, for I know how hard she has worked, all the time she has given up, all the events she has missed due to homework and papers having to be written and finally seeing that even though the end is in sight, she fears that they are setting her up to fail all together. I will continue to support and help her in anyway I can, but for now if you have any plans to further your education, absolutely do not look to Walden University. Did I mention that she has called the University for the last three years and never once talked to a counselor assigned to her. But today the instructor, whom has a doctorate, stated that in fact she has a counselor, but the counselor has no name as of yet. STAY TUNED for I will keep posting, so no other person becomes entangled in the web of deceit and deception that is Walden University.

• Lk
      Oct 17, 2013

I’m so sorry to hear about your sister-in-law’s situation, but try to support her during this time. I understand exactly what she’s going through, because I’ve being trying to rectify a situation, where the school placed a whole on my transcripts. Walden charged me for a term, which I didn’t receive any faculty support. I completed 98 PhD. credits, only to be told that I couldn’t receive a copy of my transcript until I paid $4, 300.00.
    I refuse to pay for a term, which I didn’t receive any academic guidance for my KAM. When I submitted my written work to my Faculty Mentor, it took about six weeks before I received any type of feedback, only to be informed by my Faculty Mentor that I need to rewrite my work. By the time I finally received her feedback, the term was almost over. This occurred in 2007, and to this day, I cannot get any positive resolution from Walden. I’ve sent out several e-mails to the school, but all of the responses are, “there’s nothing that can be done.” I refuse to accept these answers, and it’s time to come together, and take a stand for what’s right.
    It’s good to know that you care about your sister-in-law, and I hope that she stays strong during this trying time.
    If you would like to contact me, this is my email address, [protected]@yahoo.com

• Wa
      Oct 17, 2013

Please include me in the class action.
    I am also looking at filing an independent lawsuit.