Wal - Mart - Gallipolis, OH / I have been asked for my id 3 times

I have shopped at the gallipolis, ohio wal mart since its opening and have always written a check for my purchases. The last three times i have been to this store and written a check i have been asked for my id.

This first time i didn't complain as i know they do updates in their system every so often, the second time i asked the cashier and was told this is just a "random" thing and it happens occasionally. The third time (which all took place in less than one month) i once again questioned the cashier who started to give me the "random" thing again at which time i asked to speak with a manager. A lady with a different color vest came to the register and very rudely said it happens to everybody and turned and walked away. I know factually this person was not a manager as i had requested. I have not had this problem at another wal mart in the town where i work...nor have i been asked for my id at a local kroger store at which i shop maybe 2 to 3 times a year! I have spent thousands of dollars at that wal mart over the years but i can say if this continues i guess i'll have no choice but to take my business to kroger (even if i have to pay more) i was just wondering if anyone else has had this problem. There has never been an issue with my account---i have never in my life written a bad check and never intend to. Please give me some feed back if anyone has had similar problems.

Va

Comments

• Am
      27th of Feb, 2007

I'm of the opposite opinion. Places that DON'T ask for ID scare me. Most places ask for your ID now. If they don't, they should, because - think about it - if someone snatches your purse...

They rifle through your wallet, then go on a spending spree which you pay for, because all they have to do is fake your signature on one of your checks. All the machine does at the register is verify that the account exists. As long as it is a valid account, the check is accepted and the thieves walk out the door with hundreds of dollars of items you paid for.

Now, if the cashier asks to see your ID... she or he can match up your photo to you in person. It's not necessarily foolproof, but it certainly makes me feel a little more secure to know that some short, blond, overweight woman will not rip me off because that description would obviously not match my ID photo.

If they ask for my ID, I pony up my ID because I know that the original intent of requiring me to show my ID was set in place in order to protect me, the consumer. Whether the cashier does his or her job is another question altogether. If they ask for the ID and the blond, blue-eyed, short, overweight thief shows them my ID, and the cashier accepts it, then I'm screwed anyway.

It's a security measure, not a hassle. I know it might seem like it, but there is a valid point to it.

That said, none of this matters now because Wal-mart has switched to the telecheck program, in which you do not have to show any ID or sign anything, or even fill out the check. You just give it to them and they run it through the machine. Valid account - money removed from account - whether you did it or if it was someone who picked up or stole one of your checks who did it.

• Da
      13th of Dec, 2007

Yeah, you are stupid. You should feel good that these peeps are checking out yo id. This ain't Hickville anymore. Everyone knows nobody! Stupid!

• Rc
      23rd of Jan, 2008

I disagree with you and think you are one of the stupid people that makes the job hard

• Pa
      24th of Apr, 2008

Comment #2 pretty much said anything worth saying here. Comment #3 makes a valid point, and comment #4 I heartily agree with. It is because of people like this that I will never again work in fast food. Did it once, and you cannot pay me enough to do it again. Same with Wal-Mart. I would rather become the starving artist I know is in me somewhere, than even briefly entertain the thought of standing in a vertical position for 8 hours repeatedly dealing with the likes of people as the complainer in question. I for one, was a little disturbed, when on a grocery run a few months after turning 21, I decided to buy liquor just for the heck of it (because I could), and wasn't carded. I am constantly mistaken to be anywhere from 13 to 18 even now, so when I wasn't carded at 21... well, anyone whose opinion I could give a fart about would already be getting the picture. These cashiers are not here to make your day better. They are simply trying to do their job. They are not perfect and I daresay none would claim to be. Like the rest of us, they just want to put in their time to get their money so they can support their families and pay off lifes debts. Life is hard in Appalachian Ohio. I am a native of one of the poorest counties in that state. If you've got time to gripe about so small an issue as the required flashing of the ol' I.D., something tells me you haven't got much more on your plate to worry/bicker about, such as finances, where your next meal is coming from, etc., and you should count your blessings that being carded is the worst outrage you've got to "put up with" in your day-to-day sufferings as the lone visionary in a world of ignoramuses. If anything you should be trying to make their days a little brighter by not being such a difficult (& likely over 40*) creep that secretly they would like to draw and quarter. (or worse.) (*- This comment stemmed from and continues to be fed by an ongoing observation that 87.6% of those who actually take the time to go through the effort to make their personal disapproval known to the rest of the world about something so minute, are generally in the age gap of 45-69. {and yes, Einstein, the percentage is pure fiction. (I made it up.) The rest of that statement requires no contestation.})

At any rate, in today's world, the idea of writing a check to Wal-Mart as a means of payment is feasible when you're standing in line and suddenly realize "ohmygosh. I don't have my bank card! zut alors!, darn, dang, etc.", but when, as this griper has divulged about him/herself, it becomes a consistent means of payment... You my friend are the inconsiderate one here. You are putting the cashier through additional stress, you are forcing everyone behind you to wait, and you are actually making it take longer for your favorite person (yourself) to get through the line. Es tut mir leid to burst your bubble so. (not really. I just felt like throwing in some German.) Not to mention that.. well, maybe this is just me, personally, but if time and again those pesky cashiers demanded that I rifle through my tote-sized purse in front of everyone, coming up for air occasionally until I found my ID and thus surrendered it for verification, well, being such a hassle and all, I would QUIT WRITING CHECKS. Bank cards do the same work. 'Tis a frightfully Wonderful Big Bright New World out there my aged compadre, and it wants to be your friend!
    Also... where in the world do you find a Krogers within mentally justifiable driving distance of Gallipolis??... They tucked tail and ran out of the area a few years ago... Long before the above complaint was registered.

Ah, but that's another thing we have to face in life isn't it? Inconsistencies. But I'll stop myself there, lest anyone enter information overload status.

Smile. (And hold it.) It will help you, no matter the situation, drastically.

• Bl
      9th of Jan, 2010

This has nothing to do with the id letter.Iam tired of going to our Gallipoli OHIO walmart store they are rood and not friendly and if your not white they tend to give you a hard time like all black people still. I HAVE AGOOD JOB AND SPEND ALL MY MONAY AT WALMART CAUSE EVERYTHINGS IN ONE STORE.FOR one there is no Black peaople working at GALLIPOLIS OHIO WALMART AND IF THEY DO HIRE THEM THEY GIVE THEM A HARD TIME SO THEY QUIT SO THE QUESTION IS .IS WALMART RACIST? THERE IS NO BLACKS IN MANGMENT NOTHING CAN YOU ANSWER THAT?MY DAUGHTER WORKED THERE 4 YEARS AGO SHE WAS QUICK GETTING PEOPLE THREW THE LINES AND PEOPLE LIKED HER CUSTOMERS WOULD TELL ME. SHE SAID SHE WOULD GET REMARKS ABOUT BEING BLACK.AND WE SAY THER ISN'T RACSIM YEAH RIGHT.OUR STORE NEEDS LOOKED AT BADLY AND OTHERS WHERE ARE OUR BLACK WORKERS WHE CAN WORK AND YOU DON'T HAVE TO FOLLOW US THREW THE STORE ALL THE TIME LIKE WE ARE GOING TO TAKE SOMETHING .

• Mr
      5th of Mar, 2010

Racist? Jackson Wal-mart had a "Black" Assistant Manager who recently transferred to Waverly. I'm pretty sure he isn't the only "Black" manager at Walmart. You sound racist against whites.

• Lo
      18th of May, 2010

sounds like "blackness" is truly ignorant. not only can he not spell even the most simple words, but he needs to get over the whole "I'm black and the whole world is out to get me thing". really?! how pathetic. maybe it's not because you're black, maybe it's because you have an attitude problem or come across as ignorant as you did in this posting. that, my friend, may be the REAL problem.

• Qu
      16th of Jan, 2011

Ok people I worked at Wal-Mart in Galopolise for almost a year before they fired me. You winers who complain omg I have to give you my id for a freaking check u should be so happy cause they check the id to see if it matches with the check not just to enter the darn information. there trying to make sure YOU are the one to authroize the transaction not someone else so no offence you really need to get over yourself working at walmart as a cashier is [censor] work and they dont een promis you all the [censor] they promis to everyone else so get your facts stright before you complain on a retarted site. One simple note if anyone has the right to complain its me i work my [censor] off evertime i am there they fire me because i called off to much and u know what i had a doctors excuse every single time to prove it to them and u know what the assistant manager and onwe of the managers told me they dont accept doctors exxcuses and said they had to let me go so i got screwed out of a job and now am behind on my bills. so top that.