WageWorks COBRA AdministrationCancelling Coverage - After Sitting on Check!

This is just to warn anyone who may have to use WageWorks. After reading several complaints on this and other web sites I am convinced this company is run by a bunch of incompetent circus clowns who can barely get themselves dressed in the morning, much less manage something as sensitive as health benefits.

I am one of the "lucky" ones; I only have dental insurance through COBRA and pay around $30 per month. My payments are due on the first of each month and have to be postmarked by the last day of each month in order to be considered on time. My husband placed our March payment in our mailbox on March 15, along with our car payment and our power bill. The other bills both cleared the bank by the 19th. However, we didn't ever see the WageWorks check cashed. It was not until April 8th, in fact, that they cashed my March payment, the day AFTER they cashed my April check!

The next day I received two letters: One dated April 6 stating my coverage had been terminated, and one dated April 8 saying to disregard the April 6 letter. I thought nothing of it at that point. However, when I received another letter dated April 16 stating they had not received my April payment, I got concerned and called. After all, they cached both my March and April payments. I was told my last payment had been applied to MARCH and that I was a month behind! The lady was nice enough to open a case, and advised me to call back in a day or two to check on it. When I did call back, I was told my coverage had been cancelled effective 03/01/2010 because my March payment had not been postmarked before 03/31. Not only do I absolutely know for a fact that is not true (because the other two bills had been paid well before the 31st), WageWorks couldn't even tell me what the postmark date was because THEY DIDN'T MAKE A RECORD OF IT! And, they don't even have the date of the check correct. They're trying to tell me the check was dated 03/16 when my cancelled copy clearly says 03/08.

So now, my dental insurance is terminated and I have to submit a *WRITTEN* appeal to hopefully get it reinstated, all because some ### wedged my March payment between their Dunkin Donuts coffee and Hardees bag and didn't find it for three weeks.

I STRONGLY urge anyone who may ever have to use WageWorks to send all payments certified mail so they can't pull this same act on you!

Comments

• De
      May 31, 2010

Trust me your payment was received on time. Here s the scoop on that one their data entry dept is normally about 6 months behind as well as the accounting dept. During OE time it usually takes them 7 months to have anyones information put into the system depending on what location your sending it too. As far as appeals go dont bother because the project managers never get around to the letters due to them fighting with human resources departments about peoples benefits. Its a known fact that appeals are normally rejected every time and refunds are handed back about 4 months later. Your best bet is to go back to your former employer and report the company to the human resources department. Make them call up Wage-works and see why they can celled your policy, and also tell them they should think about hiring a new administrator to take over the cobra benefits because trust me your not going to get anywhere with these people. Tell your former human resources companies they can call the human resources depts from these corporations as well to find out why they left in a hurry. Dollar Thrifty, Harsco, and Standex. Hope this helps you!

Jun 27, 2015

Keep in mind much of Wageworks "projects" are not done in house. The Kaiser Permanent OCA case management and FSA inbound calls are done by West Corp. Tulsa OK. I feel very sorry for Wageworks customers but even worse for the Westl employees who make about 10 dollars.

Jun 15, 2017

Same happened to me. I believe that WAGEWORKs has exploited and discriminated against me because of my disability and that is why my appeal for wrongful termination has been DENIED. Before hiring a lawyer, I want to know if there is a way I can repeal WAGEWORKS decision of denying my appeal against WRONGFUL TERMINATION OF COVERAGE. I paid my bill for November 2016. I have proof of that. Coverage was still dropped without my knowledge and refund check was sent 3 months later. And yet my appeal against this termination was DENIED. I made my cobra payment, then they terminated the insurance coverage for medical and extended the dental coverage an additional month for no reason with no notice and how I found out i was terminated was I got a refund check 4 months post payment of my medical coverage stating that I owed them 51 dollars for dental coverage. Now all the services I thought I was covered for (because I paid by bill) that wageworks cashed are no longer covered or paid for and went to collections. I filed an appeal and they denied it because they stated I owed them for dental coverage, despite my proof of payments. They do not allow for a rebuttal of their descion, they said if I want to challenge their denial of my appeal I would have to sue. I have no funds for a lawyer, they know this, they exploit and abuse their power any chance they can - they even denied a HIPPA form so that when I am too ill my mother could not advocate for me. Thanks, Josephine Barnett and Maria Strocchia, her mother who has HIPPA authorization as Josephine do not always have the capacity to speak or which WAGEWORKS have taken FULL advantage of by prolonging HIPPA for her mother, wrongful termination, and denying her appeal.