Vonage / Unauthorized charges

1 Holmdel, NJ, United States Review updated:
Phone: 866-243-4357

I signed up with vonage in August 2008. I called to cancel on March 17, 2009. They tried every thing in their power to get me to stay and I still declined. I was told that I would be charged an early disconnect fee of $39.00 and a rebate recovery fee of $70.00. I was shocked upon hearing this. When I questioned this, I was told that it was part of the terms of service. These terms of service were never discussed with me nor did I discuss a commitment contract.

I asked to speak with a supervisor and he relayed the same mess that the representative said. Once again, I was very upset. I was so upset that I hung up on the supervisor.

I tried writing various emails and each time, the representative proclaimed to understand. They kept evading the subject when I asked for the name, telephone number, address or email address of a higher authority.

I will never recommend that any one sign on with Vonage. They are untruthful and charge for unnecessary charges. Their customer service is the worst.

I believe they make their money by charging bogus disconnect fees and rebate recovery fees.

Comments

• Va
      5th of Nov, 2008

I too ordered the diet pills from an ad in the mail for Litrex Grapefruit Rind pills. I sent them a check and they cashed it. I'm embarrassed! How dare these people take my hard earned money.

• Pi
      9th of Jan, 2009

i ASKED FOR vONAGE SERVICES IN nOV OF 2008 vONAGE GAVE ME A NUMBER THAT WOULD CREATE LONG DISTANCE CHARGES EACH AND HOW LONG i WAS ON ONLINE. I ASKED TO BE REFUNDED THE MONEY AND A LABEL TO RETURN THE PRODUCT. vONAGE REFUSED AND THEN CHARGED MY DEBIT ACCOUNT MORE MONEY WHEN i ASKED FOR ACANCELEATION/ i DID NOT HAVE ANY SERVICES SO i SHOULD NOT BE CHARGED! pLUS vONAGE AFTER RECEIVING MY EMAIL not TO USE MY DEBIT ACCOUNT CHARGED OVER $119 TODAY. THIS PUT MY ACCOUNT IN DISTRESS. i CAN'T PAY RENT NOW.

• Al
      20th of Jan, 2009

I signed up for Vonage on Dec 16, 2008. When I received their adapter and tried to hookup the internet and phone I was only able to get access to one. I am a tech support for a software company and need access to both. After 4 hours on the phone with 3 different levels of tech support they told me obviously I wouldn't be able to use their service. So I had them transfer me back to customer service and I canceled my Vonage service. I received an email telling me the Vonage Service had been canceled effective 1/6/09. I have been receiving voice mails since then into my email account so I called Vonage today 1/19/09 and they told me since it was past the 30 free trial period they would have to charge me, I argued that I had the cancellation notice in my email, they said I would have to take that up with the dispute department, which you can only access by letter, I guess they don't have phones there. So in canceling my service they debited my bank account today for $251.80. Also I sent back the adapter and they said that could take up to 2 weeks for me to get that money credited back to my account, then again, no one for me to talk to I would just have to wait. I have filed reports with the BBB but I need action. Hopefully someone can help.

• Ri
      8th of Apr, 2009

I am pretty much going through same stage.

They have charged me $92 for just disconnecting the service. When I signed up in august 2008 I was under the impression that there will not any cancellation charges.

• Ke
      9th of May, 2009

On March 13, Vonage removed my international calling plan (Basic World Plan) without my consent. According to the advertisement, the Basic World plan is a plan that features �Unlimited Calling to17 countries/cities.� I have been using this plan without any issue for more than a year. However I was told recently by Vonage that the calling plan is only limited to 500 international minutes, since my usage is over the limit, the plan needs to be removed from my account. Needless to say, this 500 minutes limit of the �unlimited� calling plan is unheard of, neither is it stated in their terms of service, nor can it be found in their web site www.vonage.com. The deceiving advertisement, �Unlimited Calling to17 countries/cities�, enticed me to become a Vonage customer. I told Vonage to cancel my service if there is any change of the original terms. However Vonage discontinued my international calling plan but kept my residential plan, and still charged me the full rate of both plans (residential plus international.) My calls to the customer service to reinstate my international calling plan have fallen on deaf ears � put on hold for long time and then dropped. I called Vonage again and made it clear that if they can not reinstate the international calling plan they need to discontinue my service altogether. I was charged a $39.99 cancellation fee even Vonage initiated the cancellation of my calling plan. Vonage advertisement is deceptive � unlimited calling plan with a limit of 500 minutes that are not stated in any of their terms of service. The service charges are fraudulent � continuing to charge the Basic World Plan that has been removed from my account, and cancellation fee when service discontinuation is actually initiated by Vonage.

• We
      23rd of Dec, 2010

Horrible Service. Be AWARE of their 2 years contracts. They are not willing to give you any refunds.
    Just stay away from this company!!!