Vonage / Awful company

1 Edison, NJ, United States Review updated:

Used Vonage for almost 6 Years and cannot complain about their VOIP Service however having Cell Phones made the use of VOIP unnecessary for the time being. Canceling Phone Service with Vonage is just as bad as AOL Hell. My Vonage Phone Service was always paid one month ahead and i expected to keep the service for the remainder of the time/month it is paid for but in order to keep the service i already paid for, Vonage insisted i call them the day before the next monthly service cycle begins claiming this is a Federal Mandate for Customers to call one day before the cancellation date begins or they will bill me again but i insisted it is their job following proper procedure and if they disconnect my VOIP Service at the moment of cancellation i expect them to reimburse me prorated. Well i canceled my Vonage Service and was disconnected the same moment. Vonage just closed the door to ever have me again as a customer and the same goes for many former Vonage Customers and You folks can take this to the Bank, this is a Class Action in the making. Vonage is just another Corporate Thief stealing from its Customers.Now just got e-mail from Vonage for a cancellation charge of 39.99 Dollars which they did not mention when canceling the service.

To

Comments

• Li
      28th of Feb, 2009

Vonage is the worst telephone company...Do NOT sign up with them. They lie to you all the time. Their customer service people are insulting, give you the run around. And then give you a problem when you want to cancel. They even had the GAUL to ask which company was going to be providing new service to me...I couldn't believe that...It wasn't any of their business.

I had other issues with their horrible service. INCLUDING not everyone can be connected with them..Various phone numbers don't work with vonage. You can't call them and they can't call you...Why would anyone need a phone carrier with HORRIBLE service.

I also told vonage I am NOT paying them a disconnect fee. No where does it say there is one. I used them for over a year...One year yes I agreed to...I didn't agree to a disconnect fee. I asked them if there was one..>They said 'no' when I signed up...>Faulty advertising yes...Lieing...Yes. They lied to me and I don't like it...I am NOT paying them an added dime.

• Na
      23rd of Jul, 2009

We decided in May 2008 to get a cheaper land line simply because we only taled at home to family. we thought we could get a better price.Well after talking over 20 hours and failing to ever get phone service from Vonnage they are trying to charge us for stopping service we never have got hooked up.

5th of Aug, 2009

On May 16, 2008 I transferred my phone service from AT&T to Vonage phone service. It took them about 2 days to port my phone number from AT&T to vonage. Prior to transferring to Vonage. I asked the sales rep if it would work with my alarm system. She asked which system. I told her ADT. She said it would work with ADT. About a week later I received a letter from ADT requesting I test the system. It didn't work. After a week of trying to get the alarm system to work with the Vonage phone I gave up. I called Vonage to cancel my service. They told me I needed to contact my former phone service (AT&T) to get my phone reconnected with them. It took Vonage two weeks to port my number back to AT&T. That put me two days over my 30 day trial period with Vonage. They ended up charging my credit card for a total of $171.44 for service and disconnect fees. They refused to take back their reconditioned Vonage connection box for a partial refund.

Vonage customer service was contacted by phone and email many times. They refused to let me talk to a supervisor.

They lied to me about my alarm system being compatible with the Vonage phone system to get my business. Then they dragged their feet porting my phone # back to AT&T so I went 2 days over the 30 day trial period which ended up costing me $171.44.

13th of Mar, 2010

Its in the terms of service, Vonage is not responsible for compatibility of home alarm systems should have read those terms of service you should know you cant always go by a sales rep response

• Je
      23rd of Mar, 2010

After 1 year of putting up with very poor line quality, decided to switch ooma. Vonage service was awful in sense that whenever you are downloading a large file, the phone service gets interrupted and it becomes impossible to talk. After trying everything, i decided to swithch to ooma. ooma equipment is actually installed between the router and the modem and protects the bandwidth thats why their sound quality is good.

So to add insult to injury I discovered that there is a $40 charge for cancelling Vonages crappy service. Thats something that they never inform you about until you cancel the service, instead this rule is buried deep in an obscure part of their terms of service agreement that you apparently accept when they trick you into managing your site online. Be careful what you agree to when you go with this company, I though it was a reputable firm, instead they have proven to be scam artists.

This company will not be around for long. Ooma for example provides better service, and a better quality product for free (once you buy the hardware).