Vonage / Illegal actions and no ethics

Upon hooking up our new Vonage phone, the Vonage company illegally disconnected service from our other business phone without our consent, (after repeatedly assuring us there would be no conflict with the other line) and after over THREE HOURS on the phone refused to even admit it was possible. (and yes... they did do it, this is not a misunderstanding).
And after all that, refused to budge on charging us the temporary $40 disconnect fee, even after we explained that we DIDN'T HAVE IT in the account and it would result in a overdraft fee from our bank. (that was account management, thanks Thoriah or whetever your name was)

Thank you, Vonage, and thanks to your condescending staff of foreigners for putting us through hell and robbing us of a full weekend's worth of business(so far).

Comments

• Ri
      24th of Jan, 2007
    Vonage - Charge to stop service

I was with vonage for 11 months and three weeks because I had one week to go for a year they said I had to pay 39.99 To stop using there phone service before I got off the phone with them in which I was stopping there service they had charged my bank account 39.99.

• Em
      5th of Sep, 2007
    Vonage - Non delivery of ordered equipment!

Ordered vonage equipment and paid for 2-day delivery on august 30,2007. Today is the 5th of september and still no delivery or notification. I have no home telephone service. was depending on service with vonage. I am really disgusted. I think i will stop my contract with this company who shows no trust or dependability.

Beware people!

11th of Sep, 2007
    Vonage - Terrible rip off!

Nothing delivered as promised! Pathetic install problems, poor sound quality, unreliable service, terrible and deceptive customer service, long hold times, misleading information, impossible to resolve disputes, "our supervisors don't take phone calls" policy, cancellation request issues ignored, etc, etc. STAY AWAY from this fraudulent company!

• Wi
      19th of Jan, 2008
    Vonage - Billing after service terminated!
    vonage
    New York

In november 2007 I called vonage to say I was moving out of the country and wanted service terminated. I was offered 2 months free call forwarding to my cell phone. In January I see that I have been billed for December and January. I was told that because I accepted their free offer of call forwarding my account would not be terminated and therefore the billing would continue.

19th of Jan, 2008

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertizing.

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org

19th of Jan, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too.

19th of Jan, 2008

SUE for a full refund in small claims court. I won my claim. You can, too!

• Si
      19th of Mar, 2008
    Vonage - Beware of Vonage!
    Hamden
    Phone: 617-639-0264

We had a very bad experience with VONAGE. They are liars, Charge amounts without your knowledge and Lot many hidden charges are there.. The international calls are not valid. They charge for all international calls!

• Ta
      21st of Mar, 2008
    Vonage Home Phone - Don't use!
    Georgia

I fell for the cheap price and great deal. But they lied about everything and when I wanted to cancel service they charged a cancellation fee even after they told me there would be no charge. I did not believe others when they told me that the service was bad and now I know they are lairs. Please save yourself a major headache and stay away from Vonage.

• He
      5th of May, 2008
    Vonage - getting billed for dicontinued service
    Oregon
    Phone: 317-432-0820

I had Vonage for my son in Oregon. He discontinued the service in Nov. of 2007. I am still getting billed for it. He has called them 4 times and each time they say that they will stop. I saw that they have had tons of complaints about this problem!

16th of May, 2008

I recently subscribed with Vonage for tele.service using our DSL line. After talking with an agent and after he assured me that my present tele. number will not be changed, I agreed to the service. The next day, I received an e-mail confirmation of my order and they included a new vonage tel. number. I immediately contacted Vonage and told them of my not wanted a new number and they told me ok and that when I receive the adapter, simply return it with the pre-paid label. The e-mail did explain that my tel. number could not be used. Now why I asked, did you send the adapter when I specificlly asked that I did not want my number changed. The could not give me an anwser. A pre-paid label was never sent and they said that I must pay for the return of the adapter myself and also, there w0uld be a cancellation fee also, charged to my credit car. Is that a rip off or not? I have since contacted my credit card co. and they are investigating.. My advise, watch out closely at Vonage.

• Me
      19th of Jun, 2008
    Vonage - Terrible customer service
    California
    www.vonage.com

This company sucks. They will not allow you to cancel the service. Their customer service reps are idiots robots. It is a total pain in the ###.

17th of Jul, 2008

I called to cancel my Vonage account and the "Customer Service Manager" kept trying to sell me on other options. I kept telling her "I just want to cancel" over and over but she kept pushing until finally she was arguing with me about why I have to keep the service, going as far as to tell me that the one phone call I made on it last month made it worth while (really?). When she finally put me on hold to cancel we got disconnected, conveniently. When I called back I had the exact same experience with the next person I spoke with. Both women were so rude and argumentative insisting that I keep my service and refusing to let me speak with a superior. Finally she put me on hold and came back saying snottily, "I canceled it for you and it's going to cost you $43.09." When I started to tell her that this was the worst customer service I'd ever received and that I wanted the fee waived she hung up on me. I would not recommend this service to anyone!

19th of Jul, 2008

Hi,
    I have vonage service for about an year now. Reading all the complaints here made me think if these people are really talking about vonage or a different company. Its true that you can only save with vonage IF your cable service provider gives you internet service without having a phone line.
    For one year now I was never charged a penny extra for what they said they will charge, never had any major issues with their service, no hidden charges, no false charges, no dishonesty and no bad service. I once faced a problem with their service. I used to get static while i was on the phone. I call them up and complained about it. They forwarded me to a very knowledgeable technician who helped me fix the problem. Not only this, when i told their manager that there is another VOIP service that is offering me same plan for cheap he offered me a free month of service which saved me the same amount of money i would have saved with the switch which who knows could have its own nightmares.
    I honestly suggest this company to everyone who are able to get high speed internet without phone service.

save with vonage!

• Da
      25th of Jul, 2008

When i signed up for vonage they gave me 3 months free i was excited...Then when i finaly got the equipment and started using it i noticed that you could hear a tapping noise anytime someone was on the internet at the time you were talking on the phone. I thought it would eventualy go away.Then when i would be on the phone people were telling me i sound real far away or i sounded like i was talking in under water. At thi time i was getting frustrated i tred to call and complain several times and each time they couldnt hear me right on the other end. Finaly my last draw with this service was when we would be on the phone and it would drop the call it did that to me 3 times one after the other talking to a relative out of town.I called vonage 2 days before my 30 day trial was up they had me on the phone for 1 hour running test on my computer each test that he ran he said tht the numbers should be higher..Finaly he told me the problem couldnt be fixed.So i told him i need to cancell the service and go back to my orginal phone company, he apolagized and we hung up. i waited for them to either send me a ups label to send back the equipment o for them to call me back to tell me what i needed to do to get the equipment back to them.they never did either one, i called thema week and a half later come to find out they never cancelled me and now i was passed my 30 days and they wee charging me $101.17 for my disconnection fee .When i asked to speak to a manager she said that she is the manager and that i needed to pay the balance or it would go to collections. I refused to pay this amount and i didnt give them permission to take it from my checking account.So i hung up with her and called my bank and told them i needed to cancell my atm card and i needed a new one. I called my bank te following day and they told me that there was a charge coming threw from vonage for a $106.00 i told them i didnt authorize that charge, so now i have to deal with my bank on this matter.

• Ed
      31st of Jul, 2008

this has to be the worst telephone company in the world.

• Pu
      4th of Aug, 2008
    Vonage - Contract and disconnection

When I took there was no mention anywhere that they have a 2 year contract. Now when I disconnected after 8 months, they suddenly charge me a disconnection fee and equioment which they said is free no they are charging for that as well. This is outright daylight roberry!!! Is there anyway I can sue them??

15th of Sep, 2008

I too have been ripped off by Vonage. I canceled my service and had to pay for 2 lines of cancellations of $39.99, and also the equipment for $79.99. I don't want it, but they won't take it back. One phone line was a $24.99 rate, the other a $14.99. But yet I pay the $39.99 for each one. Even though the service was less than perfect. Did not work most the time, not compatible with my internet service at all! When you cancel they harass you to remain a customer. The response team leaves messages for me to call them back, but can never get through. We have been playing phone tag for a week now. I do work, and cannot be home the hours they are available, not sure why they cannot handle it via email! At any rate, I am still trying to get a hold of the response person!

• Me
      2nd of Oct, 2008

DONT USE VONAGE EVER. they tried to charge me a disconnection fee of 110.00 when i never even received their equipment, they had the wrong apt number. and now, i had to cancel my atm card after mysterious charges started appearing (from websites that dont even exist) that i never even made.