Vonage / Does not work well with Charter Broadband

In trying out the Vonage telephone service, I learned that It does not work well with Charter Broadband (according to Vonage—after I spent 3ish months fussing with it). I used their router with my wireless router. Just couldn’t ever get it to work for any period of time. I tried canceling the service twice. Both times the customer service reps argued with me. I indicated to one that he wasn’t listening to me I just wanted to cancel the service. He yelled back at me that I wasn’t listening to him. The solution to fix my phone was near. I’m tired of fussing with it. I don’t care if he came to my front door and fixed it that instant. I’m sick of it. I’d rather pay more money than have such horrible customer service experiences. My third phone call in finally proved to be successful. Thank you Pearl. (She tried to sell me again, but she did take no for an answer.)

Comments

• Cr
      19th of Jan, 2008

ALWAYS communicate with Vonage via POSTAL mail (paper).

Vonage is the new MCI: they're good at selling but have ZERO interest in customer service, have ZERO ethics, and don't even have the best audio codecs. You're call quality will suffer with vonage. Most of their money is spent on advertising. Their "support" model is like AOL: paying abusive cretins that use vonage with free vonage service. ZERO accountability!!

You're better off with VoicePulse.com or even voip.com. VoicePulse has the BEST quality audio codecs with the lowest compression. $20/mo unlimited National. They also offer lower bandwidth codecs. I use them. They're a little slow implementing new features. It's been TWO years and no new features.. but they will never screw you like vonage does.

For best results use a router that works with DD-WRT.com firmware!

--quote-start--

VoicePulse is the only service that offers five features to protect your privacy.

* Telemarketer Block stops telemarketers even before your phone rings.
    * Anonymous Call Block stops all unidentified calls. (I LOVE this feature!)
    * Do Not Disturb stops all calls.
    * Filters let you configure who can ring your phone and who can't. (puts an end to abusive family calls)
    * CallerID Block stops others from seeing your phone number when you make calls. (if I don't get to see who it is they are NOT ALLOWED to ring MY phone)

--quote-end--

voicepulse can also email voicemail.

Combine with YouMail.com for your mobile phone -- screw verizon wireless!

If you're techically savvy consider getting OPEN SOURCE asterisk and setting up your own VoIP system that's SIP friendly.. with EVERY FEATURE imaginable..

save even more money!!

asterisk.org

"Asterisk is the world’s leading open source telephony engine and tool kit. Offering flexibility unheard of in the world of proprietary communications, Asterisk empowers developers and integrators to create advanced communication solutions...for free"

asterisknow.org

"AsteriskNOW is an open source Software Appliance; a customized Linux distribution that includes Asterisk (the leading open source telephony engine and tool kit), the AsteriskGUI™, and all other software needed for an Asterisk system. AsteriskNOW is easy to install, and offers flexibility, functionality and features not available in advanced, high-cost proprietary business systems."

The VoIP providers, especially vonage, will hate me for informing you about asterisk! ;)

spread the word and screw vonage into non-existence

web ads suck too. never see another one. get all three easylists: http://easylist.adblockplus.org