Vitalchek / online fraud

This company sent my birth certificate, including all my most private info, with Social Security number, to a stranger!! I got a call from a stranger in Oregon (I am in New England), who also ordered a birth certificate from Vitalchek. They got an envelope addressed to them, but with MY certified birth certificate inside. Thank God it went to a decent person, who called my cell phone number, which was with my info inside. They are going to mail it to me. Now, they don't know where their birth certificate is, as they have not received their correct one.

If this info had gotten into the wrong hands, someone could easily steal my identity with it!! It seems pretty ridiculous that I had to get a notarized authorization form sent to the state of CA, proving I was who I am, in order to have the birth certificate issued. And then, it ends up getting sent to a total stranger!

This company should be put out of business!! The internet is full of complaints about them. I only wish I had done my research before using them! DO NOT trust them with your vital, private info!

Ji

Comments

• Ro
      3rd of Mar, 2009

• Lu
      3rd of Mar, 2009

March 3 2009
    I ordered a couple of death certificates about 2 and a half weeks ago to be sent from Connecticut to Canada and paid 56.95 total. Our family needs this information as soon as possible for legal purposes. I hope they will be decent and refund me my money or is this the American way...

I got the impression that they were supported by the government agency that issues these documents. If they don't deliver what I paid for I will try to shut them down.

• Ra
      12th of May, 2009

May 12, 2009!
    In good faith I placed an order and my credit card was charged on March 26th. I have been patient and in contact with thier office numerous times. I have yet to receive even a confirmation that the order had been shipped. The claims you they about delivery time are obviously bogus. I have taken a new job but can not start until I have a birth certificate. It is doubtful the position will be held for more than a few more days.

20th of Apr, 2010

I request a birth certificate to Vital Check and after i was charged they send me more papers to fill out, i believe this is a scam they charge you first and then they drop the bomb that u need to copy paste scan and send them more information. I try to find the phone number to contact them with out luck.
    Really poor service its a shame that the state of Texas referred me to them.
    I'm trying to get my money back and if I'm lucky they won't take it all in hidden fees.

• Vb
      11th of Mar, 2011

I've seen so many complaints and was concerned about ordering my birth certificate through VitalChek, but I needed it quickly and it seemed okay since the county's site said to use VitalChek to pay with card online. So I took a chance and I am very, very pleased. The site says if you order it through regular mail it takes 7-10 business days but I ordered mine on Monday (3/7/11) and got it today, Friday (3/11/2011) in the mail. I'm not sure what's going on with all these people calling it scam and/or having problems getting certificates through VitalChek but I have absolutely no complaints. Maybe some people are not entering information correctly or something? I don't know and I feel bad for those having problems but, in my opinion, VitalChek is definitley NOT a scam. Good luck!

• Me
      10th of Apr, 2011

Son ordered over a month ago. Still no birth certificate despite credit card charge and confirmation. I am reporting to the State Attorney General of Texas