Vita Novus New Life Recovery Center / Neglect & False Advertising

detox. None of the members who own, operate, and run the facility were ever readily available.

Director - John Haines, Assistant Director - Linda Maggiocommo, Counsellor - Matt Bulai, Interventionist & Life Coach - Marla Goldman Weinder LPC & CAC, Psychologist - Dr. Jonathan Siegel, Head Counselor - Dana Helmer BA LPC CAC, Medical Practitioner & Addictionologist - Dr. Trevor Gilmore. Out of all of these trained and certified specialist, I saw on occasion the Director, Assistant director, and Counsellor Matt. Matt, was the main person I saw, who provided no counseling, only once I was able to track him down, would he call the director, and tell me it would be over an hour for assistance. I once on one occasion, had an opportunity to speak to any other employee besides the director.

I was placed in a room in the basement alone, and if I needed any assistance through my detox whatsoever, I was directed to get up, walk down the hall, knock on the ex-heroin addict CHEF's door, who would then call the directors to arrive back at the facility for help. This process could take several hours at a time, being as the operators were rarely at the facility. If they did happen to be there, I would have to go looking for them on a huge property and then I would be told that they will need about an hour to talk and would be downstairs after this hour passed to have a discussion or give assistance to me. This is completely outrageous for the amount of money that the program costs. For the amount paid, care and support should have been provided around the clock. I should have been checked on and monitored regularly. I can honestly say, they knocked on my door once. Any other time, I personally would have to get up and good look around an extremely large property that has several lakes, a labyrinth, and multiple buildings. For someone detoxing, finding access to help in a space this large alone, is outrageous.

The photo's on the website are a complete misrepresentation of the patient rooms. They should nice double beds, with couches, and dressers. I saw none of this. I sat in a basement room alone, in a single bed, with a small night stand and small dresser beside me. The support, care and comfort they advertise is a complete lie, and misrepresentation.

What was even more bothersome than all of the above, was the lines of [censored] they were all feeding my family during this time. I had spoken with all family members and voiced my concerns about lack of care clearly, but each time, they would phone them back after I was back in my room, and tell them I was full of [censored]. I understand someone in recovery may not be the most reliable person to listen in a time such as this, but they were fully dishonest and flat out lied about the level of care and availability that was provided to me during my stay. I truly felt as thought I would have been safer at home where I have access to family support, to an ambulance and hospital if I needed any assistance immediately.

I would not ever recommend this facility to anyone who is seeking a comfortable facility, with any access to care. Each person there was a great salesman, and used every tactic to convince not only myself of their high level of care before entering treatment, but also my family. This was a complete deception in a time where truth, care and healing are required.

Ke

Comments

• Bg
      Jul 12, 2010

COMPLETE [censored]!!!
    I was there the same time as Kelly, who I am sure wrote the above false statement. I graduated this week and then googled the Vita Novus to show a friend in need and came across this complaint. Kelly was there less than 2 days who came to the facility to detox for what she said was a week and she was there less than a day and asked me for some drugs to help her through so she could get through her withdrawal...I was in a room just like the picture on the website and she was also...i guess she forgot to mention she was in a detox room with a 50 inch big screen TV and all satellite access and was checked on every hour as well i made her some fresh shredded ginseng tea as well. I know for fact she was downstairs with 2 employees beside her in adjacent rooms incase she needed help. I asked her why she wasn't staying for program fully and she said she could do it on her own as she just wanted to detox quickly and return home. Vita Novus is a great place with a great program that has helped hundreds if not thousands of addicts and I would recommend this place to anyone.
    The only lies and deception are in Kelly's [censored] story above. She was upset when her family and husband wanted her to stay and seems she told these lies so they would come and get her and not give her [censored] when she got home.
    Kelly Get a sober life!!!

• Sc
      Oct 14, 2010

I agree with the complaint for the most part.
    Matt is less than 2 yrs clean and should not be working in that facility. By Vita Novus' own admission, those with less than 2 years of clean time are considered to be in "early recovery".
    It is true that those persons detoxing have limited supervision. Based on my own experience at Vita Novus there is not one person qualified to handle a medical crisis. We did have one such crisis when a gentleman was going through detox and had a seizure. NOT ONE staff member was prepared for this unfortunate event. NOT ONE staff member even had basic first aid training. NOT ONE staff member was able to assist EMS when they arrived as to his medical condition. Where was the doctor/addictionologist, that I NEVER did see, or a registered nurse (there are no nurses on staff, period) to assist in such a situation???????
    All the counsellors are ex-addicts or alcoholics. None, save one or two, have any professional training whatsoever in addictions.
    Management IS elusive at the best of times. They ARE there for you and provide a great sell BEFORE you get into Vita Novus and give them the cheque. Once cheque is in hand and you are a resident look out!
    It is true that the faciltiy does have nice amenities. BUT, we are not there for a holiday! We are there to get better. Vita Novus claims to have an over 80% success rate. Success at what??? Making MONEY!!! Since I left this facility I would have to say that over 80% have RELAPSED!
    Also, there is a young child (10-12 yrs old) LIVING at this facilty. This child is the owner's son. What kind of environment is this for a child to grow up in??? This child knows more about drugs than I do for Christ's sake!
    I could go on and on with issues about this facility.
    As for a recommendation of this place; a definite NO. Lives are at risk at Vita Novus with no medical personel or trained staff.

• Rc
      Oct 14, 2010

I also just completed a program at Vita Novus and don't agree at all with the statement by Scrutiny.
    I was there the same time as the gentleman had a seizure and the counsellor did exactly what he was supposed to by turning him on his side and clearing his throat so he wouldn't swallow his tongue, 911 was called right away and he was asked what had happened and he explained as well as provided the EMS people with his file and chart.
    I was there even most recently when all staff members were updated and certified with St. John's safety and first aid course.
    As for the Doctor, I saw him and another twice a week.
    And by the way I even asked during my stay what the counselors crudentials are and each counselor is certified and educated as well the owner/director, program director and head counselor have psychology degrees so I have no idea where this person says the lack of training in addictions is...and for them all being in recovery themselves, I for one was very happy to know that they were not only educated but had been where I had been and could relate not some nurse or other health care worker with no self experience with the disease I suffer from.
    I think the above individual was one that was discharged or didnt complete their program because they thought they themselves could do it better...I graduated and was back this past week for aftercare of which my family attends the family program and cant say enough good things about their program and they were very happy to hand over a cheque for the program and say its the best money they ever spent.
    As for the program itself I got my life back thanks to Vita Novus and Scrutiny sounds like you should show some gratitude as I feel thankful for my life and you should too and since you are writing a comment here it sounds like you are still alive instead of out killing yourself with drugs and alcohol which is what you would be doing if you didnt attend a program.
    Maybe you are one of those that relapsed and are bitter that you didnt do the work you were supposed to while you attended nor listen to what you were told.
    I for one am thankful for my new life and for Vita Novus being there and my family that got me there.
    I guess you can't please them all though...right scrutiny

Oct 26, 2010

I for one can attest to many of the complaints mentioned above. There is in fact a twelve year old boy living on the facility. The person who handles the medication is in fact a three month recovering addict. The owner does in fact have a great sales pitch but once the money is received, the services are not properly administered. I understand that the statements of the recovering addict should be scrutinized but my loved one spent some time at the facility and eventually had to leave because he felt such despair. He had only a few days until graduation but couldn't deal with the nonsense that was continuously taking place and adding to an already fragile situation.
    The "program" is a farce. In one of the family meetings a parent of a child became quite upset because his child tested positive for drugs while at the facility. The men are supposed to sleep in separate quarters than the women but this is not the case. One male counselor sleeps downstairs with the women. When John was pressed for answers as to how a patient could test positive while at the facility, he had no answers and tried to quiet the complainant.
    When the client that had the seizure collapsed, the "trained" staff was totally unprepared. It was in fact another client that assisted the fallen addict while someone else contacted 911. The addict returned a week later and acknowledged to my loved one how appreciative he was that my loved one had taken such swift action. The "trained staff " was so shook up that he completely froze.
    The pets readily ate out of the plates that were for the residents and whenver problems were addressed to the staff, nothing was done. It was construed as the resident having anger issues. Well, it is easy to blame the addict because quite naturally they have no credibility and John relies on this fact to hide behind the truth. One has to realize that all addicts are on different levels and particularly when they are in the recovery phase it is crucial to not play head games with the residents and to address their very pertinent and relevant concerns.
    I find it alarming that many of the complaints that my loved one had and has had during the course of his stay were comments that another family member had researched and presented to me. Now, the two of them don't even speak to each other so they couldn't have possibly corroborated each other's stories. This is an expensive "last hope" for many families and it comes at great personal sacrifice for many families.
    When my family goes back on Tuesdays for the "aftercare" John always has a little smirk on his face and refuses to address my family or my loved one. Well he is 20 thousand richer and my loved one is still in the fight of their life to be clean. The owner/director is a liar and a very dishonest individual. While his intentions may have started off honarably, he is clearly in this for the money he gets. There is no "medical staff" on site. The meetings are conducted at a Police headquarters. The staff is untrained and absolutely unqualified and I would challenge John to present qualification on every member that is a part of the staff...from the medication dispenser to the chef to all of the "counselors". I guarantee you, he cannot present any client, resident, or potential client's family with credentials for everyone that draws a paycheck at this place. Treatment isn't about bilking families so that you can have the nicest facility...it is about getting to the root of the problem that is causing the addiction. Lastly, the dig made to the elderly parent of the resident and the name-calling was unprofessional at best and disgraceful at most from the "so-called" ower/director. I wish you no harm, just be truthful in your disclosure and a resident facility is no place to raise a twelve year old child. He knows more about drugs than I teach my health students in high school!!!

Oct 26, 2010

I forgot to mention how John lied about the contents of a phone conversation that took place between my self and my loved one. When John attempted to describe to my parents the contents of the conversation and how abusive my loved one was to me, my mother quietly called him on his lie, stating firmly to him that "John, you have the wrong sister, that type of conversation would never have taken place between these two of my children. They don't ever speak to one another in that manner" You see, John was against a wall and my loved one was demanding to leave and being told that he couldn't and refusing to release medicine and medical records. My mother then called me and shared with me the lie about how the conversation went and that is when it was confirmed to me that this whole ordeal had been a sham. Once John had been busted in his lie, he quickly recanted his statements (because for all he knew the call had been recorded) and tried to smooth over the situation as he so often does. His tune really changed when another client was on the doorstep awaiting orientation. Boy, everyone got really cooperative then because they didn't one the new sucker...I mean the new resident to get wind of the truth before the check was cashed!!! So very sad!!

Oct 26, 2010

Oh I see again a disgruntled person decides to jump on the wagon...I wont mention names but "Concerned loved one" I was in the room next to your loved one when he was being DISCHARGED for his anger and rule violation and heard all his anger when John brought him the phone to talk to his sister...this guy(former client) was so disruptive that I couldn't even get the very program that was being taught while he was in class...which he used to storm out of and argue in all the time. He didnt leave early cause he felt dispair he got kicked out for totally disrupting each and every time he stayed in class. He had problems with everyone while he was there and including me.
    As for the staff they all hold crudentials and they are now all displayed in the facility as well the person handing out the meds not dispensing them has over 5 yrs of sobriety and should you care to know its our own prescribed meds we are given and we take them ourselves.
    Also John's son doesn't live there he was staying over in another part of facility and since going back to school and living in their home we didn't ever see him not to mention that John works almost around the clock at his own facility caring for clients and making sure we were looked after.
    As for the individual that had the seizure I was right there and the staff didn't freeze but the other client gave assistance not took over and in fact that individual completed his program and I keep in touch with him every week and he attends aftercare and is doing amazing as am I THANKS to VITA NOVUS and my family would say ALL your written misinformation is just that WRONG the family program is great and hardlined and to the point as some family members are sicker than we are. My family loves John and Vita Novus as do I.
    SO SAD that people like the above can't accept that their loved one is more screwed up that most.
    Check Cashed and would do it again!!!

Oct 26, 2010

I am unsure of what "crudentials" you are speaking of?? Perhaps this wasn't a typo, and you did mean just that "crud-entials". I looked on your profile and saw that you have been a member of the complaints board since July of 2010...so sorry to see that Vita Novus was unable to move the program along any faster for you.
    I must correct you when you say that my loved one was discharged. There was a young lady that was discharged when my loved one was a resident, however that is because she tested positive for drugs in Vita Novus' drug free facility. I don't see you commenting on the tongue lashing that John took at the hands of her parents about this anomalie? Nor do I see any response to the fact that a man (supposed counselor) was sharing living quarters with the women and John didn't seem to have a response for her angered family. He was quite red at the time and only seemed concerned with keeping the proverbial "cat in the bag" in front of the rest of the clients.
    But wait, after five months perhaps you were working at Vita Novus and no longer a client??? That seems to be the general practice.
    Now let's keep it real, no one who has recovered from a treatment facility spends their time monitoring the complaints board to make sure that the reputation of the instititute charged with (now stick with me, I am using some intelligent sentence structure...and I do have "crudentials") complaints has their reputation protected!! The turn around of the responses on this site from everyone that complains is almost immediate and anger-filled as well as self-serving. I am not a recovering addict so I can only assume that a recovering addict has bigger fish to fry than to monitor this site and stick up for Vita Novus. This brings me to my next obvious point...you quite obviously are a "plant" or the check cashed you are speaking of is just that...your pay check. I am sure you would do it again...that is bilk unsuspecting families out of their money under the guise of helping the addicts. Finally, please (and this is a legit concern)someone please watch out for the twelve year old boy that LIVES at Vita Novus. He must learn that it is inappropriate for a child to run around and demand services from the chef and others as though he runs the place. God and a legitimate treatment facility will see all of the addicts that Vita Novus has lied to and bilked for thousands of dollars through this very real and very painful ordeal. But for you (plant) I wish you nothing but Good Luck and God Speed, for you see, I unlike you cannot wish ill will on another human being...even though obviously you are not cut from that same cloth and have no problem lying to this forum to continue to gain funds!!

Oct 26, 2010

You know...just to drive home my point...everyone look at the response above to R C Fine. The same individual that responded to RC Fine also responded to Concerned loved one and similarly mispelled the same word...that darn word "crudentials" The correct spelling is credentials...so please if you are going to monitor the site and refute all of the complaints atleast for the love of God, pick up Webster's dictionary!!! CREDENTIALS!!!

Oct 26, 2010

Well "recovering addict" cat got your tongue or have you been exposed for the fraud that you are???

Oct 26, 2010

Exactly!!! Busted!!! Now address the infractions at your facility and the lack of education that your staff possesses and move it along. Don't continue to harass the people that have legitimate concerns and attempt to make them out to be liars. We all know who the real liars are!!! Or...perhaps this "so-called recovering addict" that cannot spell has decided to go back to school and fulfill all of their hopes and dreams of becoming the English teacher that Vita Novus has prepared them to become...or not. Scripts Spelling BEE...Google it, you would likely be out in the first round because you can't spell a simple word in two responses pretending to be two and three separate former clients!!! DISGRACEFUL!!!

• Re
      Oct 26, 2010

Hello Concerned, I am a former client and a female that was there when your brother Ian was there and would like to comment on your belligerent comments, oh and yes I have the "credentials"... ask your brother sometime he knows who I am and will tell you I tell it like it is withholding nothing.
    1st, there were no males cohabiting with any of us in any rooms.
    2nd, your brother, who by your own description of drug addicts, must have you fooled into believing these outrageous allegations.
    3rd, if your family feels cheated out of their money they should look no further than their own family and the addict himself as the program that I was part of was one of great knowledge and saved me in the turmoil in my life as an addict.
    4rth, the young woman that tested positive did so as her boyfriend brought her in drugs on a visit.
    yes after all we are only addicts and since you seem qualified to comment so much you should look into an Anger Management course and take your brother along with you.
    Good luck

Satisfied and Recovered!

Oct 27, 2010

I see what we have here now is the War of the Words. Let's be clear...John puts his name out there for the public and when he chooses not be a straight shooter, he opens himself up to complaints from the public. The clients on the other hand under the law recieve a level of protection known as confidentiality. I do find it disturbing that yet another profile has been immediately created to attempt to discredit a legitimate complaint once again. I also find it extremely unprofessional that someone at the facility would attempt to respond under the guise of a client. I am unsure of the person who you named above. Since this "satisfied and recovered" is so thrilled with her success, why didn't she give her name. I'm gonna' go out on a limb and claim that she wishes to remain anonymous. How is it that someone who is recovering has so much time to be on this forum and create new profiles and refute every claim that is made. Well, it's one of two things, the staff is on and monitoring this site and responding by creating new profiles or the staff is on and monitoring the site and contacting these people to legitimately refute the complaints. I expect it's the first rather than the latter. How is it then that the staff has so much time to monitor the site one way or the other...aren't they busy saving lives and changing the world? Let's talk a moment about the drug sniffing dog. Since you are going to blame it on the family, why didn't scruff the crime seeking dog stop the perpetrator in his tracks...or is he recovering also and missed the boat? How is it that another resident knows so much intimate details about what goes on with every other resident, so much so that they can respond in great detail and with great specifics as to what other residents personal program and information entails? Well, let's be clear...that's because someone is sitting by the computer watching the site. Someone that knows everything that has been recommended to every client in close personal conversations away from the mainstream of the facility. Someone who can only stand to gain by keeping this sherade going. You've been outed, now deal with it!

Oct 27, 2010

I was going to post a detailed complaint, but seeing as there's name dropping going on...and the verbal assault that was launched at the previous complany i will at this time withhold my grievances...

So do you claim too know who i am also???

• On
      Oct 27, 2010

wow the words right about the complaints. out there. I am not here to side with anyone, i am not in the place anymore i did my program and actually did get to spend time with some of the people supposedly mentioned in this complaint board. Sure i had my ups and downs, there were many things i did not like at Vita Novus, but I have to say if it was not for my counsellor i would not be where I am, i do owe this person a lot because they helped me tremendosuly, do not put everyone in the same boat, the person I worked with did have credentials, can't speak for everyone else and not going to !!! However the person that helped me the most did everything they could for me above and beyond. As for the facility sure i had issues but for me i actually got my life back. No i am not on payroll and no i dont work there, I actually found what I want to do in life and this one counsellor gave me a lot of inspiration. Why and how do I know about this board, well lets put it this way many people that have left we still communicate and words is alway's out when somone is complaning. I hope that your loved ones find thier path and gets the peace they deserve.

Oct 27, 2010

I think that Concerned love one is correct, it does seem like the responses are coming from Vita...

The Tuesday night meeting is now over so now we are getting a response...

How very strange. On my path...how interesting that you have now just chimed in... you had success with the program... but yet you are searching out complaint boards... yeah right...come on you just joined...Please try again, the word is out??? Who you kidding Vita...

i came here to make a complaint that is how i found this.

Trust me if i had success like you my friend, i sure would not waste my time here!!!

I'd love to add thing that have gone on...but who wants to be outed!

• On
      Oct 27, 2010

Actually plstelthethrth reason i commented was not to get into a who is right who is wrong, but actually got a call 2 weeks ago about this complaint board and at the time I actually wanted to complain about some [censored] that went on there as you may not have noticed i didnt disagree with anything or anyone that has been said. I just stated a fact dont put everyone in the same boat there. plstelthethrth be honest as your name states you can honestly state that no one there helped you in anyway ??? Anyway even though you think you outted me sorry you did not. Reason i declined from putting a complaint up was i decided Vitanovus is not a part of me anymore and i need to move on and decided to withold my grievances but when i reread this board this eveving actually took me hrs before i decided to comment...

Oct 27, 2010

Understanding the English language is not first on your list... That is for sure as what i hve written and what you have commented on makes no sense. Your response Vita... is very much like BG's Bull---- response...you got a call two weeks ago... about this...WOW!!!

Vita there was nothing here two weeks ago...nothing but 1 or 2 complaints...lol So who told you about tonight???

You had nothing better to do then sit and read the new post??? How did you EVEN know about these Vita???
    Outed you Vita, you outed yourself... been there with most of the people that have posted... i bet you were...You'd have to be if you WERE working there...were you there with me???
    You must hve figured out who i am??? Vita look at the client files you should be able to figure it out..."you needed to move on??? " Then why you still here???

Vita are you even allowed to use the computer during work hours??? Wait a minute you are working... you hve to stay on top of this board... job almost well done!!! Try a bit harder... now go look up the files...WHO AM I VITA????

Oct 27, 2010

Wow what a bunch of [censored]...here is plstelthetruth calling onmypath out cause they just made their profile today when plstelthetruth just made their profile today as well...this is all just ridiculous and is now considered a forum it seems. And by the way the reason we answer so quckly may be because we get a message from this complaints board via email that someone responded to this post but I guess only a few of us use our real email when we signed up. Oh and by the way I dont work at Vita but since I finished my program I lived in the transitional house and attend Vita more than once a week and yes just came home from aftercare tonight and as I said checked my regular email and low and behold a few emails saying that someone responded on here. I for one say everyone will have their gripes about treatment and if we look deep down inside us and see if we failed ourselves or took the gift that was being offered and worked it to the best of our ability or just go back to our old way of living with drugs and alcohol and just become a waste of space and get hammered and [censored] on a complaints board and deflect blame to someone else and not see forest for the trees!!...plstelthethrth go use some more as I am sure we will see another stupid mindless post soon enough from you!!

Oct 27, 2010

Hey Vita" the reason why" we" answered so quickly is because "we"(we meaning you, Vita) are all the same profile.

BG. onmypath, BCfine, who's kidding who let just stick with Vita, still at Vita i see...Vita??? Must get confusing with all the different sign ons so let me make it easier for you ...lets just stick with Vita... So has Scappy-doo SOLVED THE MYSTERY???

As your reading ability is nil an void... i never said tht i did'nt joined tonight...but as for you Vita... when's your shift end??? Do you ever really get to go home??? WHO AM I VITA??? Vita...your outed again... the only way tht you would get a email is if a response was sent directly sent to BG ...The only other way, tht you would know Vita, is if you are sitting at your desk monitoring this site...VITA YOU'RE A LIAR!!! Hey Vita get some rest ...let one of the other staffers man the computer for the night...

Oct 27, 2010

Wow...OMG...looks like someone has finally also figured out what only took me a short time to discover. The same person or persons is responding to all of the complaints. I read all the most recent posts and can't believe this one simple complaint has opened up the floodgates for every recovering addict in the greater Stouffville area to now respond and vehemently defend the honor of Vita Novus. It's kinda' like defending the honor of a loved one. Certainly one wouldn't want something important to them to be discredited? It's the manner in which the respondent has chosen to attack the character of individuals that I find particularly telling. The attacks are vicious and self-serving. Also, I checked my email to see if any such notification comes in. We can all see how vocal I have been, so if anyone were to recieve notification that there was a response to an email...it would be me. No such notifications happen. In fact the only notification one does recieve is a little box that comes up on the side of the screen letting you know someone has responded specifically to your post. You only stick around to see this "box" if you have some time, or a lot of time to man a computer. Otherwise, you would never be the wiser that someone has attempted to discredit or refute you. You see that Kell123, the first post nor Scrutiny has ever responded. That's because they made their complaint and moved on not ever suspecting that they would get bashed. I on the other hand was on to the game early on and had some free time. I encourage anyone who reads this forum to find any other facility to take their loved on to. Don't be fooled as we were by all the magic tricks and smoke screens. Thank-you plant for yet another confirmation of who is really responding to these posts.

Oct 27, 2010

Not sure i would have got tht on my own Concerned... as i was focused on one thing... to warn others...but thanks all the same!

Thanks also for taking the time to post... Had i not taken the time to read everything, i might have left my complaints, and ran the risk of them outing me... but in fact, as i have posted before...in more ways then one Vita has outed themselves.

Oct 27, 2010

Wht...nothing more to say Vita????

• Re
      Oct 28, 2010

Excuse me but I must be missing something, it took me quite some time to catch up on all the posts since mine yesterday.
    I must say there are some real fine examples of human nature that continue to post time and time again saying the same thing over and over. Do you all even realize how [censored]ic you sound post after post? go back and read, its actually comical that you think one post on this board or many on this forum will get your so called warning across. Tell me Concerned is your loved one still clean and sober today rather than out in the world wasting away getting high? Maybe you should be thankful for just that and possibly weigh the money spent on treatment to the money spent over that last 12 months of your loved one's using? probably not! I will go out on a limb here and say plstelthethrth is one of the failures of program that went back to old behaviors by getting intoxicated and sit at their computer just to post something and look for attention, sad as it sounds I can see they work a fine program that at the end of the day was always up to themselves to either make a conscious decision to stay clean and get a real life or go back to a life of self destruction. What is actually the saddest of all is that whatever treatment program they end up taking they have a choice while they are there to either get well or just waste time and do nothing with what they are taught and even more sad is that that very choice can result in their death. Whatever choice you make you can only blame yourself in the end if you fail. Oh and another thing I read was that someone mentioned receiving an email when a comment is added and that is why I came back and ended up posting as I did receive a couple of those emails from complaints board in my inbox so yes Concerned such notifications do happen. Anyways I will leave you all to continue your warnings or as I see them idiotic rants that amount to nothing more than anger and hate...good luck with all that!

Oct 28, 2010

Thank-you for the kind words of encouragement (right), "Recovered" (aka, plant). I do appreciate you toning down the hostility and venom that has been spewed in all of your previous posts under different aliases. As email notifications DO NOT go out (notifications happen just as I mentioned above), I fully expect for you to continue to monitor this board and continue to post outrageous responses and slander your former clients. I have completed and proven what I set out to expose. Your posts are now fully discredited no matter what name you choose to use. Good luck with all that!

• Cm
      Oct 29, 2010

lol "Oh I see again a disgruntled person decides to jump on the wagon...I wont mention names but "Concerned loved one" I was in the room next to your loved one when he was being DISCHARGED"
    This comment is a complete lie. You were not in the room next to him. On one side the room was empty and on the other was a good man who was just released last Tues and I dont think is capable of making up a lie like that.

• Cm
      Oct 29, 2010

Wow did Vita Novous ever screw me over. After detoxing they took me to the doctor and they put me on suboxone. We seen the doctor every tues and fri. The day I was being released from Vita was a Friday and I was to go to the doctors to get my scrip and take it home to my drug store. The doctors office had phone John on that Tues, told him he was going to be away and that if I needed a scrip I was to go see him Thursday. John how ever did not tell myself or anybody else this. So what a way to leave rehab, go home and start detoxing again. Vita Novous also has a three month clean, junkie off the street that takes care of all the medication. I guess the part that pisses me off the most is that not one person there even said sorry for the mess up, they just let on like no big deal, not my fault. Imagine leaving a treatment center after 45 days and going home to a major withdrawl...what a joke that place is.

• 12
      Dec 08, 2010

Cmwtf I know you are agree with you completely . The place is not a facility that you want to send someone that you truly care about. John only wants the money that parents are bringing him, the toys, new car for Linda, house that had to be just right. He is al about the money and not the recovery. I was there when a client Sonja was there amd she spent more time in Matts apt. then she did in her own room. It was obvious to everyone (even staff) what was going on. Robin who is supposed to be the program directoryou never see except for the time that he spends yelling at clients. My favorite words from him were "you are not listening to me" . A very demeaning individual. The only one that was able to tryly help listen and be there for me through my entire treatment, I just learned at aftre care that he is no longer there. Keith was the only Counsellor that I learned anything from and the only one that had any real qualifications. By the way I was told it was a non religious facility Robin made me pray before I ate my food WTF. I don't care about his personal views, The place is not as advertised. 20k woulk have been better spent on honesty.
    And for the ones that will respond that "i guess you relapsed which is why i am writting this" i didn't thanks to following what Keith told me in Groups. I just don't want others to get fooled into thinking it is something it is not.

• Fa
      Jan 07, 2011

Our son attended Vita Novus and I can tell you today he is still very much clean and sober. Myself and my wife continue to attend the centre's family program as does our son attend the aftercare program on the same evening as well attends meetings he was introduced to while at the centre. When we were looking for a treatment centre for our son we went online to look for the web site and did come across this thread ( which was somewhat shorter) but dismissed it after visiting the centre and meeting John and his staff and seeing what the facility had to offer both in amenities and treatment. I must say that John is and has always been involved with us and our son's recovery as is the other staff at the facility including our son's counselor Mandy. My son is in the middle of his aftercare and 10 month follow up as are the other former clients he keeps in close contact with. Vita Novus brought my son back to us and I don't care what others say on here about money spent all I know is that our money was well spent and I would have paid more just to get back the son I was so close to loosing to the disease of addiction. I and my wife are still in contact with other families we met through Vita Novus and have never heard a complaint nor any horror stories such as those posted here. I would recommend this facility to any family in need for their loved one. I am a man of great integrity when it comes to the well being of my family and can assure you that I stand by what Vita Novus stands for and does for those people suffering in addiction. JACK M

Jan 12, 2011

Thank you Riley! Smiles all around. I needed a different experience than I had before in treatment so I chose vita novus. I got a different experience. I learned A LOT! I also got frustrated, angry, nasty even at times, but I know this is the emotional part of recovery.
    It is just beyond me, that, the powers that be, [read: management] knowing the nature of the beast, would allow a forum such as this. It appears to have caused more harm than good, quite innocently by virtue of the nature of its participants.
    Sigh... so much to do!!

•   Jan 15, 2011

This whole blog sounds like one person's terrible experience. Don't you think it inappropriate to coward behind words? Why not go to the facility and mediate the situation properly. Come on people - grow up. The facility should invite and guarantee complete satisfaction, including resolving any issues - in person. Rehab centres have their work cut out for them, it's hard work, long hours and emotionally challenging. Standard protocols are forever changing, depending on the individuals and situations. Whatever the route, in the end, you are there for the care of your client. I am sure Vita Novus is doing what they are trained to do - sounds like they've helped alot of people.
    Maturity and intelligence will go a long way, don't slam each other on a blog!

Jan 20, 2011

Good to hear you Workitout. Thanks.

•   Jan 21, 2011

The public needs to be educated on the nature of addictions before any comments like these. There's alot of help out there be it Private Clinics or Public organizations like CAMH and OATC. The problem is becoming increasingly bigger year after year. Addiction can be helped and people should not be judged. Educate yourselves!

• Gr
      Feb 15, 2011

Very important that this be read before you decide to send a loved one to Vita Novus: The owner John Haines is on charges for insurance scams, impersonating a lawyer, forgery, fraud, illegal documentation and he has NO driver's licence, he uses fake ID...

•   Feb 28, 2011

Greed&Ego - really? I guess Vita Novus will no longer be operating?

• Ig
      Feb 28, 2011

I can't believe this has never been done: Next time someone has to take a "pee" test at aftercare make sure you ask Matt to take one as well. Ask if it is appropriate behavior for an unqualified counselor (Matt) to have a sexual relationship with a client while they are in treatment? None of the staff are qualified to be treating any of the clients, the postings on the website are all "false" advertising. Mandy has no education, Matt is still using and the rest have all been fired and who knows about John's credential's??? There is NO doctor on site ever, no one is qualified to hand out medication, medication seems to always go missing (I wonder who takes it, couldn't be Matt by chance) He says he has been clean for just over 2 years but who really knows? Don't let anyone pee test you until he does as well. What happens to the pills etc.. that clients bring in with them to treatment? Where does it all go? Is John or Matt selling them...? Why all of a sudden do clients have to stay for a minimum of 60 days and some 90, what happened to 45 days? Need that extra cash to pay off your lawyer fees, staff and other scams? What happened to the 10 month commitment that is promised? Once you leave Vita Novus whether you did well or not they don't give a [censored] about you. Why are clients leaving addicted to another drug. I thought treatment was to learn how to live a better quality of life and get off drugs? The program is so far from the truth its scary! Clients are coming into treatment and leaving in worse condition, its pretty sad. Go back to selling cars John you can't screw up someone's life as much as trying to run a treatment center. These are people's actual "lives" that you are destroying!

• Wa
      Mar 01, 2011

Some are sicker than others right Igotmyeyeonyou
    get a life!

• Ea
      Mar 01, 2011

This should have come out LONG AGO! The whole place and everyone who works at Vita Novus is a joke! John is a crook and has NO credibility-no schooling whatsoever, he is a long time criminal-this guy has a LIFETIME ban from ever operating a motor vehicle in Ont., been charged with impersonating a lawyer and numerous fraud charges-NICE GUY. Then we have his sidekick Matt who has his head sooo far up John's butt-its not even funny! He also has NO credibility-no schooling yet he runs the Aftercare program??? He should stick to what he does best-taking female clients up to his apartment(in the treatment center).Mandy who is now the Director since Robin Left also has NO credibility and no schooling-So, these 3 are who's running Vita Novus-Jokes-How can you run a so-called treatment facility with NO QUALIFIED STAFF??? People are paying BIG money for what? Unqualified Junkies advice? John, used to be a used car salesman and he was very good at it, so what does that tell you-he could sell ice to eskimos! And he does-to the desperate parents of the suffering addicts, leading them into believing that they are bringing their loved ones to a Qualified Treatment Facility and charging them 20-40k a pop! Somebody should contact the Better Business Bureau or maybe the Ontario Human Rights Commission and find out how this is possible?

• Ea
      Mar 01, 2011

So-WalktheWalk-aka John Haines, it must be really difficult keeping track of all your Login names, eh? Who are you trying to kid? Do you sit in your office all day waiting to respond to posts on here, pretending to be someone else? WalktheWalk-you should really try this, instead of ALL the lying! So how's that working out for you?

• Ig
      Mar 01, 2011

Let me guess WalktheWalk, Workitout, plstellthetruth and some others are John Haines responding... Your a master at deflecting and not admitting anything. This is all the truth as I have looked into all of it and some even with the police, you have quite the record, you must be proud of that. How you sit in that office day in and day out and pretend to run a proper program for struggling addicts is beyond me and I have no clue how you sleep at night. I want to be there when this all comes crashing down one day and you finally get what you deserve you phony [censored]. 10 years of recovery my ass you might want to rethink step 1... All I want to do is warn people and keep them from going to your facility... Your turnover ratio is starting to speak volumes. I guess it must be hard to keep staff, why is that?

• Wa
      Mar 01, 2011

Wow great lies you spread, perhaps a mad disgruntled employee
    as I said some are WAY sicker than others
    Don't throw stones eatshortz when you live in a glass house!