Virgin Mobile / beware international roaming

1 South Africa

My son went on a school trip to USA in Apr 09. In an emergency I wanted him to be able to reach us. I called Virgin Mobile to see how international roaming worked. My son has a top up account with a limit of R99 pm. He uses pre pay to obtain more airtime. Virgin explained I need to call them a week before he leaves to activate international roaming. I was told that as this was a top up account if his limit was reached while he was away he would not be able to contact us. I topped up with an extra R300. While he was away I received 3 sms from him and I sent 2 sms, thereafter we instant messaged via facebook. In April I received a bill for R17-40 for outgoing sms for R17.40 and in May a bill for R16.99 for 6 sms. In Sep I received a bill for R2746.86 for 26 calls. He insists he made no calls, the only conclusion we can come to is that some one else used his phone. I have queried the account but am told I am liable. How can a 'prepaid account' suddenly become an unlimited one? I did not sign anything to that effect, nor was told that I could be liable for an unlimited bill. Surely in such cases Virgin is obliged to make the customer aware of this & to sign a document to this effect.