Virgin America / Unreasonable Credit and Refund Policy

1 CA, United States Review updated:

I purchased 3 tickets that cost around $1, 500, and my partner had a serious medical emergency that prevented us from taking the trip. I canceled two weeks in advance, and requested a refund. The refund was denied. I was unable to use the credit due to this ongoing health condition, and because I rarely fly. They were unwilling to refund even after I faxed in a note from my partner's doctor. (I have since faxed in other verification of several other hospital stays.) During one communication with Guest Services customer service rep, I was told that the credit expired in August, when, in fact, most of it expired one month earlier. This led to most of my credit expiring. I have asked for an extension on the credit, so I could try to sell the credit to a third party at a discount. (I wish I could use the credit for flights, but, I'm just not in a situation where we could do that.) So far, the request has been denied and I'm losing hope.

I think Virgin America is being unfair -- I canceled on time, and did not preclude their re-selling the seats. I acted in good faith on the information I was told. I think the policies are unreasonable and the staff and management are being inflexible and inhumane in this situation. Virgin America is profiting $1, 500, getting my money without rendering any service.

Jk

Comments

• Ve
      2nd of Aug, 2009

The time to decide if you think their policies are unfare is before you buy the ticket. There is not one airline that I am aware of allows refunds on discounted fares. There is no cancelling "on-time", because the fare you purchased had a no-refund policy. If you wanted full refund privledges that $500 ticket probably would have cost you $800-$1000.

You can fax everybody and their brother until the cows come home and they are under no obligation to refund your money. You have no special right to a refund and they are not obligated to do it because of your "special situation". Because everyone who wants a refund has a "special situation".