Vinevidence.com / Carvinevidence.com / Fraudulent vehicle history report

1 unknown, Canada Review updated:

I generally pride myself as careful and not easily frauded, but today this scam almost got me. I put an ad on Craigslist selling my car and a person identifying as "Jeff Potts" expressed an interest in seeing my car. Given that he/she/it appeared to want to see the car in person and asked credible questions, ie asked if I had service records and if my price was firm, I had none of the usual red flags one gets when dealing with a scammer.

The final of the three back and forth e-mails I had with "Jeff" was this one.

"Jeff Potts

Hello again,

Fine, that seems good to me. However, I'm interested in seeing a vehicle history report for your Mazda. If you don't have one, I'd appreciate it if you can provide me it from carvinevidence.com – just to be sure that everything is okay with your car.

I'd get it myself but i don't want to risk it being bad and just end up wasting my money. I would like to arrange exact time of our meeting if report show that everything is ok with car's history.

Hope to hear from you soon, Jeff"

Yup, the request and e-mail exchange seemed reasonable and indeed I did not purchase a vehicle history report yet, so being a little too trusting and not checking for reviews or history regarding "carvinevidence.com" I just naively went to the site, read their own claims about themselves, their years of service and keyed my vehicle's VIN number into their site. At this point some correct information "year, make, model" came up really leading me to believe this service is legit.

I sent my $34.00 and got back a rather fake looking vehicle history report and the accident my car was involved in was not on the report either, even though it resulted in an insurance claim. Interestingly "Jeff" who was so eager to see my car vanished too and all communication with him/her/it ceased. Then I got a little suspicious and did what I should have done before giving my credit card to the website, I googled the so-called company's history. Contrary to their claims on their website, they have not been around for years, rather according to scamadvisor.com they have only been around for 17 days.

There are also testimonies out there of people who have had their credit card information stolen from the site. I had to immediately cancel my credit card and put in a dispute to get my $34.00 back. Consumers beware!!!

Bi
Nov 12, 2016

Comments

12th of Nov, 2016

Hi,
    I experienced the same thing.
    Here's the message I got after 3 or 4 back and forth e-mails:

"Thank you for offering me carfax report. However I really don’t believe that company because my father had very bad experience with them – he had serious accident with his car but that report didn’t show it. They are expensive and they are showing only what sellers want to see. I would really appreciate it if you can provide me history report for your Audi from carvinevidence.com – just to be sure that everything is okay with your car. They're cheaper than previously mentioned company, and you know how it is “every dollar counts”. I don't want to get it myself because if it's bad then i just wasted my money, but you can still use it however it turns out. I would like to arrange exact time of our meeting if report show that everything is ok with car’s history.
    I hope you consider this and get it, hope to hear from you soon, "

They are middlemen providing a report taken from a cheaper service and getting their share for almost doing nothing other than buying the report cheaper and send it to you.

They are probably scammers!
    AVOID AVOID AVOID!

28th of Nov, 2016

Same thing here just this past week. The new one is usvincheck.com.

The original emails back and forth have all been from someone allegedly named Kristina Greene. Now this last one was Jose.

"I would really appreciate if you could provide me with a history report for your bike from the uscheckvin.com. I’d like to be sure the bike is completely good and with a clean history. The website I’ve sent you is twice as cheap as Carfax and many others. I don’t want to get it myself since if it has been in any accidents in the past I won’t buy it and the report is useless but you can use it however it turns out to be. However if the report turns out to be clean I would like to check the bike in person, whenever you’re free to show it.
    Hope to hear from you soon, Jose. "

• Cr
      5th of Dec, 2016

I've also just had this happen to me. This is the email I got today and I'm so glad I've googled and found these emails from all of you. I've exchanged about 7 emails and they all seemed legit until I got this one and it made me want to search this site (because my work blocked it).

"Hello again Crystal,
    Can I come on Friday to see the car if that’s okay with you? Also, I would appreciate if you could send me a report from checkvehiclevin.com, I just want to make sure that everything is fine with the car, and since it is my request I will repay you the money for it once I come to see it, no problem.
    If the report Is clean, I am willing to offer 17500+25$(for the report). Hope that is a fair offer, let me know what you think!
    Cheers!"

I will not be running a report and told this person i'd happy run a carfax and if they want another report, they could run with their own money. Thanks for everyone who posted.