Villa del Palmar Flamingos Timeshare

4.25
Villa del Palmar Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta
Mexico
Dear Sir/Madam,

We are a family living in Orange County, California, USA. We recently had a vacation to Puerto Vallarta Mexico on August 26th, 2008. We became a victim of timeshare fraud and ask you to please help us get our full refund deposit of 3, 075.00 USD and cancel our membership.

This is a summary of what happened. We will send with this letter a detailed timeshare cancellation request we sent to the timeshare company.

We booked a vacation package with Expedia.com. On August 26th, 2008 we landed at Puerto Vallarta Airport and were greeted by a group of people called themselves Expedia.com. With so many lies and deception, fraudulent and misleading information, they took us to “the presentation” and pressured us to sign a timeshare contract. We called, emailed to rescind our contract on September 1st, 2008 when we were still within five days cancellation period as allowed by Mexican law. We had to call back and forth between the resort and the San Diego office up until September 7, 2008 at 8:45am when the resort personnel named Ivon Zuno finally contacted us and stated that they cannot cancel our membership since it passed the five- day cooling period and offered us to buy another timeshare which they called a down grade package from what we signed up for.
We wanted to cancel the timeshare membership and get full refund of the deposit. However, they again used tricks and lies to refuse to do so.

Please help us.
The timeshare company is: Villa del Palmar Puerto Vallarta
Blvd. Francisco Medina Ascencio
KM 3 Puerto Vallarta, Jalisco MX 48300
Tel: 011 52 322 224 0635
Fax: 011 52 322 22 68101

The resort Villa del Palmar Flamingos is where we have the timeshare with has the same address. Tel: 01152 322 22 68100, Fax: 011 52 322 22 68101
Their San Diego office: Universal Vacation Club
404 Camino del Rio South, 4th Floor
San Diego, CA. 92108
Tel: 1-800-366-2296
Fax: 1-619-683 2077

Cancellation Request to Timeshare:
We are hereby requesting cancellation of our timeshare membership at Villa del Palmar Flamingos, Nuevo Vallarta since it was based on illegal sales practices and fraudulent, misleading information. This is the follow up from the previous request for cancellation sent via e-mail on September 1st 2008 to sale representative and assistant manager Ron Naylor.

We came to Puerto Vallarta Mexico for a vacation on August 26, 2008. When we just came out of the baggage claiming area to find our transportation service (E-Mark) that we also booked via Expedia.com Travel Service, we were stopped by a group of well-dressed people behind one of the counter who called themselves Expedia Representatives. One young lady came out and said that the ride was coming and in the meantime wanted to invite us to a presentation. We told her that we were not interested in timeshare. She repeatedly reassured us that it was just a 75-minute presentation at a newly built hotel resort and that there was nothing to sell there. She added that they only asked us to “share the opinion about the resort to make their service better.” In return we would receive discount on tickets to Pirate Show and a free Tropical Tour for the whole family. She asked us 100 USD deposit for the Pirate Show so she could reserve seats for us.

The next day we came to the resort (Villa del Palmar Flamingos Nuevo Vallarta). First thing they asked was our credit cards. We immediately became alert and wanted to go home. However a lady called herself Member service supervisor came and she reassured us that she just wanted to know which credit card company (not the card number) so she could get the reimbursement because the presentation was “sponsored by credit card companies” as she stated. We believed her and came back in. There was another lady took us to a breakfast then came back to the room. We were showed on a computer a 5 minutes presentation about the resort. Then she took us to a table and a sale person named Ron Naylor came. I told him that I did not want to buy timeshare. He, like the young lady at the airport, told me that it was not timeshare. According to him, it was actually a very good financial investment and we could write off tax on it.

We still can’t understand why a professional sales and marketing organization would jeopardize their reputation by purposefully trying to deceive potential clients as we feel we have been deceived. By leading us astray with false information and trying to prevent us from reconsidering our decision, you have not given us any reason to expect this from you.

We are hereby requesting you to rescind our contract since we had requested for cancellation within 5 days and most importantly it was based on illegal sales practices and fraudulent, misleading information.

1) We were told by the salesman/assistant manager Ron Naylor that it was a new kind of investment and we could write off tax on it but we found out later that it was really just a timeshare service. This is misleading information. He falsely told us that we could easily put the unit up for rent and could earn $780 to pay for the annual maintenant fee. We later found out that it was not guaranteed and it was really hard to rent and that we could receive less a 35% marketing cost. We received so many lies.

2) We were told that the maintenant fee was 520 USD a year but we found out that the fee will increase yearly up to 20% of the preceding year.

3) We were told by Ron Naylor that because you “have so many members from the US” so that you have stationed an office in San Diego for better service and that if we have “any issue at all”, we should call the San Diego Office and “they will take care the rest.” However, when we contacted them on September 1st, 2008, the only answer we got was that we had to call the resort to cancel. We immediately called the resort using the numbers provided in the package (011 52 322 224 0635; 011 52 322 297 2097/2098/2093). First two times we got no answer. Third try we talked to a lady who could only speak very limited English and she transferred us to a voice mail of a person named “Chris Vagar.” We did leave a message there. Fourth try we got another lady who then transferred me to a voice mail in Korean language. We were very frustrated. The next day September 2nd, 2008, we tried to call the San Diego office again and ask for the address and phone number of the resort (011 52 322 226 8100). I called the number and talked to a lady named Elizabeth. She told me that the “Flamingos1 timeshare team was closed.”

4) We were told by Ron Naylor that we could cancel the membership anytime but then when we got home we found out in the back of the contract (which we were not showed at the time of signing) that we had to cancel within 5 days. We were intentionally lied to, to make us to miss the 5 day limit but fortunately we were still in that limit. We started calling and emailing Ron Naylor on 9/01/2008 (day 3) but never got a respond from him until 9/06/2008. The next day 9/07/2008 we received a lot of phone calls from Ivon Zuno, one of the timeshare service personnel, stating that we could not cancel the membership because it passed 5 days. She then tried to talk us into buying another timeshare package that she called a down-grade package from the one we had. We know we are not the only ones to have felt as misled as we do and we know we aren’t the only ones to have requested and received a full refund. We have already been in contact with people who have gone through this similar experience. We believe we should have no argument from anyone about this action since we make this request within the 5 days allowed by Mexican Law. We expect the refund due to us as prescribed by law and expect it in a timely manner.
IAW Article 56 of ARTICLE 56 OF LEY Federal de Protección al Consumidor. (Article 56 of the Federal Consumer Protection Law states: “The contract will be perfected within five working days from the delivery of, or the signature of the contract, which ever occurs the latest. During this period, the consumer will have the right to revoke his consent without any responsibility. The revocation will have to be by means of warning or delivery of notice, in person, by registered mail, or another method of average reliability. The revocation according to this article, will terminate the contract. In this case, the costs of shipping and insurance will be the responsibility of the consumer.”
We are aware that our right to cancellation and a full refund is non-waivable (the buyer cannot give it up) and even if the buyer is convinced to sign a document to give it up (waive the right) that waiver is not valid and the buyer still has the 5 day right. Any argument you have claiming that our enrollment fee is non-refundable is invalid according to Mexican law and this has been verified with PROFECO.
Any attempt by you to refuse this request will be forwarded to PROFECO.

5) Ron Naylor also told us that the purchase was under California law and we are protected by California law. In fact, this contract is operated under Mexican law, which we found out later on when Ron Naylor led us to another office down stair away from the sale office where they kept our children. We questioned Ivon Zuno about this. She said, “You are now in Mexico. It is Mexico law. Just signed this. There’s no way you can change your mind now.” We were pressured to sign all these documentations. For the safety of our children, we made no further attempt but bitterly signed these unwanted documents so we could safely return to our hotel. It is illegal to pressure consumers into signing contracts. We decided that the safest way was to wait until we were back to the US and then to call for cancellation. We know that the salespersons are using scare tactics so we have to sign the papers.
We signed the contract only after the outright fraudulent lie about the cancellation period, other lies, half truths and omissions, and the scare tactics.

We request you to please cancel our contract number G 01009835-000 and credit us full amount of the deposit of 3, 075 USD. We will then return any original documents you so request. We will be sending this document through the mail and carbon copy the addresses below.

We feel it is our duty to tell you that we have started a dispute with our credit card company, and have started a claim with the California Office of Attorney General Consumer Protection Agency who will be contacting you directly in the next few weeks.

We will also be filing a case with PROFECO, US Dept of Justice, the Federal Trade Commission – Bureau of Consumer protection, Embassy of Mexico, Expedia.com.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. We hope this unpleasant situation will be resolved in the next few weeks.

Enclosed: copy of cancellation email sent to Ron Naylor on September, 1st 2008

Cc

ResortCom International, LLC
UVC’s Management Co.
404 Camino del Rio South, 4th Floor San Diego, CA 92108
Complaint comments Comments (35)    Updated: Complaint country Mexico Complaint category Timeshares / Vacation Rentals

Comments

N  20th of Feb, 2011 by    0 Votes
I am still waiting to hear from Nukemall regarding his Cancun experience. As the Developer Representative for Cancun I would appreciate any concerns or issues that purchasers may have regarding their membership being directed to me at mservicecancun@villagroup.com or call 011-52-998-193-2600 ext 645
N  17th of Apr, 2011 by    0 Votes
I have yet to hear from Nukemall regarding his Cancun experience. If he feels he has an issue he should contact me at 011-52-998-193-2600 ext 645 or at mservicecancun@villagroup.com
N  31st of May, 2011 by    0 Votes
How gullible can you be???
N  5th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
For any concerns or issues regarding Villa el Palmar Cancun, please contact the Developer Representative at 011-52-998-193-2600 ext 645 or at mservicecancun@villagroup.com
N  25th of Jun, 2011 by    0 Votes
Dear Members and interested parties, please be aware the number for the Developer Representative in Cancun has changed. If you need to contact the Developer's Representative for any issues related to the Villa Group in Cancun, you may now contact 1-619-342-1369 or 011-52-998-193-2600 ext 645. We look forward to hearing from you.

Developer Representative
Cancun
N  22nd of Nov, 2011 by    0 Votes
my neighbor's aunt makes $76 hourly on the computer. She has been without a job for 5 months but last month her income was $7669 just working on the computer for a few hours. Read this site NuttyRich. Cöm
N  6th of Feb, 2012 by    0 Votes
As of today, I have still not heard from ¨Nukemall¨ regarding his issues with Cancun. If they want to contact me I can be reached at mservicecancun@villagroup.com or 1-619-342-1369.
N  17th of Jul, 2012 by    0 Votes
We also fell for that scam in Villa Del Palmar Puerto Vallarta. They have been sending us "maintenance" fees for a few years and we have been paying them. Finally I got tired of it and stopped sending payments. I have received a letter stating that if we did not pay the late "Maintenance" fees the bill would be sent to a collection company and our contract "Could" be terminated. I called the number on the letter and told them that if I sent them the late fees payment I wanted my name taken off the contract. The lady stated that she would have a termination of contract sent to me from their San Diego office, but that I would have to send the payment first. I have been there, done that, it is also part of their fraud to have someone say one thing and do another. Since nothing is on paper, it is not legally binding.
I told her that according to their letter I would have my contact terminated for lack of payment so then I would be better of by not making the payment until my contract was terminated. She then said that even if the collection agency took action, it was not a sure thing that my contract would be invalidated.
I suppose that the best thing to do is go the whole yard and see what not paying the bill would do.
With the economy the way it is I am just this side of bankruptcy, so that might be the final push. I am willing to pay them if they cancel the contract, but they want to hold on to my account any way possible, truly a bunch of crooks.
N  13th of Jul, 2013 by    0 Votes
Programa de Apoyo Financiero

A partir de hoy y de forma permanente donaremos $1, 000.00 Dólares mensuales a todas las familias que necesiten de nuestros servicios.

Somos especialistas en desvincular a los Socios engañados de sus Clubes de Tiempo Compartido

Reserve su lugar HOY mismo

+ info: 01 555 536-6997 * LADA sin costo: 01 800 558-8639 * www.hlmexico.com.mx

Limitado a 1 servicio por mes
N  28th of Oct, 2014 by    0 Votes
Villa del Palmar’s Sales Practice has a well recognize reputation for the lies, scams and most likely to misrepresented the contract at the moment of signing. Villa del Palmar sales associate like any other sales person will tell you all the wonders you want to hear to make a purchase, most timeshare presentation last 90 minutes, but at Villa del Palmar you can be up to 4 hrs in there. http://www.timesharescam.com/
N  24th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
I've spent a lot of money and i was scammed by other companies trying to cancel my timeshare. My advice is that if you're going to hire a company to help you with the problem, DO NOT PAY ANYTHING UPFRONT, because it use to be a fraud. I did a research on internet and i found some interesting articles, i recommend you to read this one:

N  24th of Jun, 2016 by    0 Votes
It is always best to hire someone skilled to do so, unfortunately in most cases these companies dedicated to cancel timeshares usually cheat for the second time to their customers since they are vulnerable and desperate. If you are thinking of hiring them you just have to make sure you do not have to make any payment upfront.
I found this article that speak precisely about this, you should read it, that might help you to resolve many doubts:

N  18th of Jul, 2016 by    0 Votes
OH dear! I just run into this forum, I SOOOO invite you to read this article,

I think It will pretty much say everything that needs to be say.
I went through the same thing, and I'm out of three thousand dollars right now BUT I'm in a process to cancel my timeshare.
N  2nd of Nov, 2016 by    0 Votes
We purchased our timeshare back in 2010. We keep paying every year. We just want to get out of this mess. I'm willing to give this timeshare to anyone that wants it for FREE at this point and end this horrible experience.
N  20th of Sep, 2017 by    0 Votes
When one purchases a timeshare at Villa del Palmar (at any of their sales locations in Mexico), the purchaser has 5 business days (excludes Sundays and Mexican holidays) to rescind their decision to enter into the contract. The purchaser may rescind their contract in 2 ways: (1) they can return to the sales office where the contract was signed (in this case Villa del Palmar Flamingos in Nuevo Vallarta), or (2) they can send a letter REGISTERED MAIL RETURN RECEIPT REQUESTED. I always recommend sending the registered letter, as timeshare sales organizations have sales personnel trained to salvage the deal. The author of this complaint made reference to the US Department of Justice and the Federal Trade Commission. Federal agencies of the US Government have no jurisdiction over timeshare sales in Mexico. PROFECO (an agency of the Mexican government) is the only organization which has jurisdiction (excluding Mexican courts). Buyers of timeshares need to carefully read their contract documents and familiarize themselves with PROFECO regulations. Timeshare sales offices (including Villa del Palmar) must submit copies of their contract documents to PROFECO prior to utilizing the form. PROFECO, like many regulatory agencies in the United States, reviews and approves these documents. Villa del Palmar contracts are fully in compliance with existing PROFECO requirements. Buyers should not assume they can determine the method of delivery of the letter rescinding the purchasing decision (by using email, telephone request, or a message/comment on a webpage). Failure to exactly follow the directions (as stated in the contract) will result in rejection of the cancellation request.

Your attitude towards Complaint Agree Neutral Disagree