Viking River Cruises / customer satisfaction

France Review updated:

In 4/2010, we took our 1st European river cruise aboard the Viking Spirit, which comes out of Paris, France. We were aboard when the Iceland volcano went off, grounding planes throughout Europe. At the end of the cruise, we were stuck, without airplanes, hotel room availability in Paris, and a rail strike.

All Viking had to do was leave us at the airport terminal, and drive away. However, what they did do was this: were were allowed to stay aboard, have a room, have meals, and cruise with them on the Seine river. They didn't charge us for anything except bar bills. Viking River Cruises took the high road. We are now patrons for life. This is how all companies should operate!
Keith B.

Comments

• Jj
      2nd of Jun, 2010

So glad that you had a favorable experience during the volcano eruption shut down of airlines, etc. We, on the other hand, did not get to Berlin due to the flight situation. The airline refunded our fare in full; Viking issued us vouchers for less than half of the fare we paid to them and the vouchers must be used by year's end. How many people can afford to lose thousands of dollars to Viking Cruise lines and THEN spend thousands more to recoup the thousands lost??!!! Letters written requesting a replacement cruise, no more, no less, are answered by Viking saying too bad, so sad - you don't get anything more from us.

Guess they didn't really lose - you spent more money on the bar tab and the rooms were paid for by people who couldn't possibly fly in order to reach the embarkment location thus were empty enabling your favorable experience.

I really mean what I said - I'm glad you had a favorable result and am glad someone was able to get some enjoyment on a cruise that week. While you are customers for life, I get a headache just hearing the name of the company and will tell everyone I know just how awful their customer relations have been.

• Ri
      7th of Aug, 2010

Dear jjmnr5, please contact us at [protected]@vikingrivercruises.com. We have been able to assist over 70% of our passengers filing claims with their travel insurance, and it appears that for whatever reason, we have not been able to do the same thing for you. We are happy to let you know that the insurance carriers we work with were able to refund all insured passengers and we were pleased to be able to expedite most of these claims by preparing the paperwork in advance.

• Co
      1st of Sep, 2011

WOW, I WAS CONSIDERING ONE OF THESE CRUISES BUT AFTER READING ALL OF THESE COMPLAINTS AND HOW THE COMPANY HANDLED THEM, I WILL DEFINITELY PASS!!! I HONESTLY AM IN AWE THAT A COMPANY WITH SOOOO MANY COMPLAINTS IS IN BUSINESS. THE POSTS ON THESE THAT SAY PLEASE CONTACT BLAH BLAH BLAH...WOULD NOT EVEN BE NECESSARY IF IT WERE A GOOD COMPANY...THANK GOODNESS FOR THE INTERNET!!!