Vietnam Postal Service / Taxing packages

1 Atlanta, GA, United States Review updated:

The Vietnam Postal Service is a sham filled with corruption! After taking a trip to Vietnam and being well taken care of by a local family in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City), I decided to send some gifts to to the hosting family. Unknown by me at the time, it came along with some unintended consequences. They all love things from the US, especially things that they can't get there. I decided to send clothing. When it arrived, my friends were told that they have to pay a tax on the gifts by the Vietnam Post Office. They didn't give a reason and didn't even open the package. I sent maybe a $100 USD of clothing, but when it arrived they had to pay $1 million dong (approx $60 USD) just to pick it up. I was very disappointed and disgusted that my gift had cost the family so much money and that the corrupt employees of the Vietnam Postal Service would take advantage of the Vietnamese people. $1 million dong is a lot of money for most people in Vietnam and it was certainly a lot for my friend. That was about 1/3 of her income for the entire month. Vietnam continues to be corrupt and takes advantage of it's own people with this type of scam. Hopefully someday they can get further away from all the corruption that goes along with being communist, but for now if you decide to send a gift there BEWARE, it could come at a high cost the recipient. Think about it before sending anything to Vietnam through the postal service!

Ma

Comments

• Si
      24th of Sep, 2012

I've been living in Vietnam for the past year as a 'Viet-Kieu' (basically means a Vietnamese person residing overseas), I made about 10 purchases on eBay from different countries (UK, Singapore, Hong Kong, USA) my last 4 purchases never arrived. I suspect either Customs officials or Postal employees have pocketed the goods.
    The Customs officials are required to open and examine the parcels & determine whether a tax is to be paid on the items based on how the examiner is feeling on the day.
    I can tell you that most government officials (if not all) are corrupt and that to get a job in one of these 'highly valued' positions (such as a 'Canh Sat' or police officer) up to 10 million dong is handed over along with your Resume/C.V. of course.

• Da
      29th of Nov, 2014

Dear Sir my Name is Daleep Kumar.
    I send my Document to london but still there not yet reach and i sending my document that lady not give me anything because she say normal post nothing give any receipt and now nearly 3 months but still my documents pending kindly tell me about my documents
    Name Daleep Kumar
    Phone Number 01286380281
    241 Pham Ngu Lao Ho Chi Minh City Vietnam.
    send to : Healthcare International 95 cromwell Road, London United Kingdom

• Da
      29th of Nov, 2014

my Documents Still Pending i send more than 3 months but not yet Reach i send to london
    From Daleep Kumar