VI Fitness / Failure to close my account

202-4300 Wellington Rd. , Nanaimo, BC, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 250-756-2985

I've spent months trying to cancel my account with VI fitness which has not been a contractual obligation for well over a year. I moved from Nanaimo to Langford and after having a baby no longer had time to use my membership. I contacted the Nanaimo location by phone and was told by that person that they cannot cancel my account over the phone and that I would need to talk to someone in person to do so. I advised that I did not want to drive to Nanaimo just to close my account, and was told I could visit the local branch to do it. In the interim I was billed again. I went into the local branch and tried to cancel my account. Unfortunately (for me) they didn't have access to my account at that branch and I was informed I had to go to the Nanaimo branch. I told the manager there that not only did I not want to go to Nanaimo just to cancel my account, I was told by them that she could cancel it. She said they "need something in writing" but that an email would suffice. I emailed them, and still (2 and a half months later) have never seen a reply. Shortly after the email, I was billed. I called after getting this bill and asked them about my email. The manager said she was miraculously "Just getting to it now" and that my account was already closed. Unfortunately by the time she got to that email I was already subject to a one month penalty? so I had to pay yet another months billing. I was happy to at least have an end in sight. Assuming my account was closed and that the final April payment would be all I would have to tolerate I forgot about it. I then see an NSF charge on my account from VI Fitness, on May 1st. I have difficulty understading how a company can operate under the constraints of the law when they are unable to stop stealing money from people who no longer wish to be clients. If you have the opportunity to avoid giving them access to your bank account, I suggest you do so. You can thank me later.

Comments

• Rc
      26th of May, 2012

I have a similiar story in Campbell River. I was foolish enough to give them access to my visa, and paid my first and last months fees, plus a $50 registration fee and a $20 enrolment fee - whatever that is. Anyways, I cancelled my membership towards the end of February, expecting that I would be able to use the facilities in March without any further billing. Wrong. They withdrew money again for March, I complained, they confirmed my account was in fact closed. I was going to let it go, but then they took another months fees for April just to add insult to injury. It's been two months since, and I have been reaffirmed several times by VI Fitness that "my refund cheque is in the mail". Funny how it was so easy for them to use my visa to take money from me, but it is such a complex process, involving mailing cheques, to get my refund. Then, about a week ago, I get a call to tell me that my file was reviewed and that I was inelgible for a refund. So, needless to say I won't ever be going back there, and neither will anyone I know. And I also will not take this lying down. I have never seen such a shady business practice in my life. Do yourself a favour and do not ever give this business your money, and certainly not access to your bank accoutn or visa. They are a joke.

• Na
      28th of Jun, 2012

I am also going thru the same hoops as you did. But I received an email stating that my contract had been cancelled but charges where still billed. I am in the midst of trying to receive a refund. My husband is also a member, he went to the gym and wanted to give them a note in person, but was told to go back between 10-7 and speak to Justin. The contract doesn't state that. an email has been sent to cancel his account, we are waiting to see if they will also charge an additional month. When I spoke to Justin, he told me that they always charge the additional month just incase you change your mind. I will never be part of this fitness club again, and will tell everyone and anyone that is willing to listen to me to stay far away. They are a bunch of thieves.

• Pu
      18th of Aug, 2012

If you want to get ripped off and have all your money taken from you for a lousy service i recommend Vi fitness. They will suck you into signing a contract with lots of promises but you will not see any change with loosing weight or actually getting fit, No one, not even you personal trainer will check your progress and give you any advice to get better. I promise you that you are in for a disappointment and they will never cancel your contract no matter what your issue. Be warned

• St
      11th of Sep, 2012

I joined VI Fitness in Courtenay in November of 2011 and have had nothing but problems with them since. At least once a month I received a phone call stating they had not received my payment...which automatically came out of my bank account. After about 3 trips down there with bank statements showing they had indeed taken money out every two weeks, I quit answering their phone calls. Last month I received a collection notice from VI Fitness's accounting department for over $700, stating my account was in arrears and would be sent to a collection agency if I did not pay up. I gathered 8 months worth of bank statements, all of which showed clearly they had taken money out (including an extra $33, which was an accounting error on their part) and went back to the gym yet AGAIN. At this point I informed the manager I was sick of the screwups and wished to cancel my membership. The manager filled out a cancellation request and assured me for about the 10th time she would see the accounting problems were fixed and she would call me back to confirm.

No dice.

After a week without hearing back I went to the bank and discovered not only had my account not been credited the money they "accidently" took out, but another payment had been taken out on top of it. At this point I was livid and went back to VI Fitness AGAIN, only to discover there was a new manager who claimed not to know anything about the situation (which was a lie, since later in the conversation, she suddenly knew a bunch of the details. Huh.), except to inform me the ONLY way I could cancel my contract was if I moved. Oh and the money they took? The cheque is in the mail. I suggested rather loudly that as far as I was concerned they had breeched their end of the contract by screwing up my account for the last 9 months including taking out extra money they were not authorized to take (sorry, that's not an "accounting error"...that's stealing). Also, how is it that they can take money out, but they cannot either put it back in or credit my account?

Today I get a phone call from the VI Fitness manager in Nanaimo (apparently the one here in Courtenay is still traumatized by the verbal butt-chewing I gave her last week and does not want to speak to me lol) who informs me the problem has been fixed. And I do not have any option other than honour my contract. Oh, and my cheque (for the money taken from my account months ago) is in the mail. After 9 months of promising "the problem is fixed", excuse me if I don't believe one word that comes out of your mouth. And seriously, there is no one in your head office I can talk to? If the manager in Nanaimo is the final authority, then how can she not be authorized to cancel a membership?

Moral of the story:

Do NOT let VI Fitness have access to your bank account. Their accounting department is apparently staffed by people who do not know basic math and they see no problem taking money that doesn't belong to them and not give it back. But you can bet they'll have absolutely no problem taking money out that you owe them in a timely fashion. Interestingly, someone at my bank informed me that VI Fitness is notorious for accounting errors and continuing to take money out of your account long after your contract is up

Do NOT sign a contract with VI Fitness. Because unless you move or die, you will not get out of it. Even after they spend 9 months screwing up your bank account, sending you a collection notice for money they have already received, taking money out of your account they are not authorized to take and doing absolutely nothing about it except to give an insincere apology, pretending to have "never heard of such a thing happening before, ever!" and cheerfully informing you you have absolutely no recourse.

Hands down, the absolute worst customer service and shady business practices that seem borderline illegal...I'll be making a point of warning everyone I know NOT to do business with them

• Dr
      18th of Mar, 2013

I cancelled my VI fitness membership last January or February, 2012, this was after 2 failed attempts to cancel, or so said VI. I went into the club, paid the past dues even though I had cancelled but at that time I was angry and just wanted to be done with them. Was I wrong, today March 18 VI Fitness called telling me there is a problem with my account. It was not cancelled and I owe money. Enough is enough, this is now harassment, looking at the other comments this seems like standard practices for this company.,