Veterinary Care Unlimited / Scary!

84-09 Rockaway Blvd.Ozone Park, NY, United States Review updated:
2.6
I am a former client who experienced drastic employee turnover at this practice and know that all the caring old-timers are gone. If you are a client of this clinic or want to check it out, do yourself a favor and simply ask their vet techs how long they have been licensed. You will find out that they are barely out of school or are not licensed at all. I did!! Only the vet is knowledgeable in this practice, yet 95% of the time you leave your pets in the hands of incompetent staff and management. Another thing, ask where their surgery room is (they won't show it to you!) but it is downstairs where no trained staff monitors your pets before and after procedures.
Je

Comments

St
  20th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Why even dignify these remarks with a response...why indeed. It is quite apparent, by form and content, that these are nothing but ranting diatribes, author(s) truly unknown, which lend no credence in and of themselves, and should be recognized as such.

Veterinary Care Unlimited has no cause for concern over these unfounded accusations...

I have been a client for over ten (10) years and have never had grounds to doubt the professional abilities of the doctors and staff at Veterinary Care Unlimited. Doctor Paoloni, and all of the support staff of VCU, work tirelessly to provide quality care to each and every one of their patients; which in turn affords peace of mind to their clients. They are entrusted with our pets well- being and it is an undertaking that is not treated lightly.

Whether bringing my cats in for routine check-ups or dealing with a serious medical health issue; which is now the case, I know my pet is receiving the best care that can be provided. At one point early last year hospitalization was necessary for my cat, and while her condition was of concern to me, her treatment and follow up care never were. From Ria handling Hospital Administration and care, to Doctor Paoloni monitoring and treating my cats condition, up to and including the responsibilities of the technicians and support personnel in between, which helps make all of this possible, my cat was able to fully recover.

It offends me as a client that the doctor and staff should be exposed to this kind of bitter and small minded innuendo, because I know better. Everyone at Veterinary Care Unlimited provides their services with heart and soul, you cannot do what they do without it, and they are; as they should very well be, proud of their work and accomplishments. It takes a tremendous amount of courage to work with sickness, life and death in everyday circumstances and still do it with character and respect. This is the essence of Veterinary Care Unlimited.

Our main goals as responsible pet owners should be to ensure that we provide love and proper care for our animals. As in seeking out a qualified doctor for our own health and well being, we should also be seeking out the best veterinary care for our pets, and that comes in the form of Veterinary Care Unlimited.
Rp
  4th of Feb, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
This must have been written by the "Hospital Administrator" herself. The technicians are not licensed. The animals are left without licensed techs when there is no veterinarian around. This place is a mess. I used to take my pets here until it became all about the money and the quality of care went right out the window. What a shame, in her younger days, Dr. Theresa was a fantastic veterinarian. Her administrator became her downfall!!
  20th of Oct, 2009
We brought our canines for over 14 years to Dr. Theresa Paoloni at Veterinary Care
Unlimited. Dr. Theresa Paoloni is a great veterinarian, and Vlasta and Glen are an
asset to her office.

Unfortunately, the front end staff and office manager Dawn leave much to be desired!
It is these women that are ruining the kind and loving office that it was years ago.

Imagine putting your dog to sleep, at our last visit and the receptionist comes into the
room, when you are holding your dog in your arms waiting to be put to sleep and asks
you for the money for the injection.
When we asked if we can send a check in, it was not an appropriate time, she responded
it shouldn't be a problem but she would have to ask the office manager, Dawn, Ria was
not there at the time. The receptionist came in and demanded a check at the request of
Dawn.

I find this to be the most cruel and insensitive act on her behalf. We have been seeing
Dr. Theresa Paoloni since our dogs were a few weeks old. In 14/12 years I did not leave
any balance ever on our account and bills were always paid at the time of our visits.
We have spent endless amounts of time and money at Veterinary Care Unlimited and
feel a grave injustice to the way we were treated on that day when we put our dog to
sleep there.

We also had an appointment at 7:00 p.m. and was called at home to say they had a
cancellation and to bring our beloved animal in at 6:30 p.m. instead.

We had our animal petrified in the car outside shaking for one hour before she was even
brought in to an examination room, where she laid for another 40 minutes before being
seen, petrified, shaking.

Once the decision to put her to sleep was made to put our beloved dog to sleep, it was
another 45 minutes to administer the injections, this in itself was horrific.

It is a sad reflection to think that after 14/12 years of care from Dr.Theresa Paoloni
that in our dog's final hours with us we were treated with disrespect!!!

It is a sad reflection to think that after 14/12 years, in the final hours it was all about
MONEY!!!

It is a sad reflection to think that after 14/12 years you resulted in hiring the most
insensitive and inappropriate staff, yes Dr. Paoloni you after 14/12 years have
diminished to a person that we don't really know and just can't comprehend, because
after all, you are the one who gives your staff the protocol to follow and sets the rules.

Hurt and Disappointed
Al
  4th of Nov, 2009
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
I'm sorry for the loss of your beloved pet, Lee and Phyllis. That being said, you said a lot about what was wrong with everything, but did you speak to Dr Paoloni and voice your concerns? Because if you did, you didn't mention it in your post. I would think that after 14/12 years of using this veterinarian you should maybe go in and speak directly to the veterinarian instead of blasting her whole practice online. Maybe she was unaware of what happened to you.
  10th of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
WE did have contact withdr. paoloni, she left a message on our
answering machine apologizing for her insensitive staff and
yet no apology could correct this insensitive behaviour !
The fact of the matter is her staff is inappropriate and
should have been replaced'
This is a poorly run practice and numerous clients have left
her practice because of the poor communication of this staff
Maybe she should hire more respectful and sensitive persons
to run her front office and pay her staff a little more instead of
penny pinching and hiring inexperienced and insensitive staff.
you get what u pay for and Dr. Paoloni will pay the price.
Since I left her as a client I dont pay ridiculous prices either.
Imagine charging $6.00 for waste disposal, and my dog gets
complete blood work-ups for half the amount Dr.Paoloni used
to charge me.
There were many issues that Veterinary Care Unlimited was
in fault with but this was the last straw. Our only regret was
to use her services, and the abuse we took for so long monetarily wise and emotional wise!!!
Fi
  22nd of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree -2 Votes
Its all about the money right...so I guess you all work for free? Why does everyone think that because they are veterinarians, they should work for free but yet, human Doctors rape the insurance companies but thats ok.
You took abuse for 14 years, must have been terrible for you.
Fi
  22nd of Feb, 2011
Agree Disagree -1 Votes
This sounds like a horror show and I doubt that any of this occured. I can't imagine that this tragic scene took place, I've had 2 pets put to sleep with Dr Paloni and I know that for a fact she gives them some kind of sedative to relax them and when they become sleepy, then she gives them the final shot. Both times, it was done with dignity, respect, and compassion and I cant see her doing it any other way man. So why would this happen to you this way? 45 minutes you waited, PLEASE, you make her sound like a walking monster. but after taking abuse for 14 years, then why did you go to her for the final nail in the coffin? sorry for your loss, I know what that feels like, but this sounds like a MAJOR grudge and theres more to this story than meets the eye. Like they say, theres 2 sides to every story and then theres the truth!
  2nd of Jan, 2013
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am currently a new client at Veterinary Care Unlimited due to my current Veterinary office being wiped out by Sandy and they are now re-building. I have experienced that they are more expensive in a lot of areas then the vet I was going to which I do not understand especially when buying dog food so this tells me that the Vets office sets their own price on what they want to charge. There have been times when I have had to call the office several times for my dogs test results before someone getting back to me and then it would be a message Left on my machine asking me to call back and when I do I get message that the office is currently closed so why not just tell me to call back the next day. Now I don't know if this is due to the lack of communication between the front desk and the doctors or if the Doctors just don't make the time to call.
I am also not crazy about the idea that they do not allow you go into the examining room with the pets just for a routine examination.
So I guess for now I will have to stay Neutral on the other postings as I have not been at this office too long. Lettipa324
Ac
  1st of Aug, 2017
Agree Disagree +2 Votes
As a former a client AND employee, I must sadly reaffirm all they care about is money. Their books are so mismanaged they owe thousands to Antech (where they send their labwork), Merial (heartgard and flea/tick prevention), and several more. Have you ever wondered why they mostly don't have your item in stock and ask that you log on to their online pharmacy? Because that pharmacy isn't truly their own so it isn't affected by their piss poor accounting. When a new client calls to make an appointment, the receptionists are trained take their name, address, and phone number so that the client is automatically placed on their reminders call back list...meaning, even if your pet isn't due for let's say a Rabies vaccine, the date entered for the due date is the same as your appointment and if you don't show, it'll show on their books as if your pet is "overdue" and they will call you until you come in or block their numbers.

The supoort staff is also forced to go through weeks of "training" when they're first hired to upsell all clients, how to answer the phone so that if you inquire about a price, the staff isn't allowed to answer how much anything is until they tell you how GREAT they are first. Ria (administrator and also the one who avoids all calls from the companies she owes money to, ironically) scares new hires in to going along with this salesperson/telemarketing agenda by saying she has secret shoppers call at random to make sure we were all answering the calls appropriately.

Most times Ria and Dr. Paoloni (they're married) will have a fight so Ria won't go home and instead, sleep over at VCU, obsess over all the little mistakes everyone made, write a billion post its and leave them literally on every surface of the desk (WHY IS THIS HERE? WHY DIDN'T YOU PUT REMINDERS IN FOR THIS CLIENT? WHY DIDN'T YOU TRY TO SELL THEM FRONTLINE?! etc) One time Ria actually started one of our mandatory staff meetings (every week) with "I hate [censor] stirrers" seriously? That's how you start a meeting?

Besides all that, she would give each receptionists packets of all those fake reminders and whoever called and made the most appointments would get a free manicure! Wow! I'm in this field to help clients and their pets, not be a telemarketer to harass people and win free manicures.

Enough about Ria, let's move on to Dr. Paoloni. Sweet as pie, right? Wondering what your pet's bloodwork showed? Be ready to wonder for at least a week (even though it's in her mailbox the following morning) are you calling to speak with Dr. P? Too bad, she's in an appointment. Not really we just aren't allowed to interrupt her with any calls because she's too busy writing her notes for a patient she saw 2 days ago.

Do I sound bitter? To be honest, I was going to let bygones be bygones but apparently charging emoloyees for exams the doctors never did is the usual and that erroneous balance will follow you around for 5 years and they will hire the slimiest collection company to call not only you, but your family. Funny, didn't hear anything from them for years but I guess they're desperate for any pennies they can collect.

PS: If you find a stray kitten etc don't bring them here for them to adopt out etc, they will tell you one thing and then euthanize it.