Verizon / pays h1b visa holders but not us citizens during recurring layoff period

1 VA, United States Review updated:

Hello recently we were told there will be two-week layoff periods starting in July and again in October. Verizon will not be paying its US Citizen workers during the recurring layoffs but they will continue to pay their H1B Guest Workers their salaries (even though they too are technically "laid off" during this time. This is an unfair business practice and it makes no sense why our Govt would allow this!! We are US Citizens if you are paying your foreign guest workers but not your US Citizens then DAMMIT you have NO BUSINESS here in America! Who do these companies think they are?? Import people from India into American MIDDLE CLASS jobs, and then even when there is a layoff they STILL GET PAID THEIR SALARIES??? But Americans dont?? They say they have to do this as this is a policy Obama put in place when he assumed office unter the TARP bill.
So its ok for some NON US CITIZEN to still be able to pay his bills but me who worked his WHOLE LIFE to get the job he has, I get to go without because I am not a foreiger?? this worlsd really ished up and im steamed, slumdogs

Comments

• H1
      23rd of Jun, 2009

I disagree with this .. as where i work ( verizon business ) in maryland .. they have just last week lay offed most of the Indian foreign workers .. but they have retain citizens ... and trying to push citizens in the projects where even their skills don't meet the project requirements ...

• Wa
      13th of Aug, 2009

I see a lot of this in my Verizon office. Many H1B Employees who not only seem to get preferential treatment, but I actually had a Director tell me that he "Could not even consider RIF'ing one of the H1B EMployees because "they could get deported if they loose their Job". This was regardless of any status, skills, years on the job, performance, etc.
    I was told that my Manager made a statement that he "prefers to hire and retain persons here on H1b Visas because "people from India middle eastern cultures make better IT Professionals". It is disgraceful that I have to consider that my job is less secure than another person whom is here on an H1B Visa just becuase of their status and prejudicial bias by a
    Manager. I have seen preferential treatment for these Employees first hand. I have nothing against any of these Emplyees and I look at them in the same way as any other citizen, many of them are my friends.

It's incredible how many Jobs have been outsourced oversea's by Verizon and not only how it has hurt Americans job wise, but in customer support dissatisfaction as well. This H1B Situation seem to be just another side of American Jobs going away, only not always overseas, right here as well in some respects. I know that a lot of the money made here by H1B persons goes right back overseas to families in other Countries from what they tell me.

When the U.S. Government states that it's concerned about Jobs and the economy, can we really take them seriously ? Is it the American people that they are concerned about helping, or just big Companies/CEO's and persons here on H1B Visas and the economies of countries abroad.

• Me
      13th of Jun, 2011

not only are the people holding the H1B visas hired over a US citizens, but these days Student visas are easily converted to H1B visas and can easily enter the workforce

• Te
      11th of Oct, 2013

Title: SAP functional AP Resource with 9+ Yrs. Exp (Only H1Bs)
    Location: Dallas, TX & CA
    Duration: 6+ Months

Must Provide Visa Copy At The Time Of Submission

Good overall FI/CO experience is a plus; but must have in-depth AP experience.
    SAP AP Functional,
    Conversion Experience and interface Experience are required.
    CAN YOU BELIEVE THIS ### FROM VERIZON ONLY BECAUSE THEY DON'T HAVE TO PAY OVERTIME