Verizon Fios / what a disappointment!

Red Bank, NJ, United States Review updated:
Let me preface this by saying that I am very pleased with my phone and internet service provided by Verizon Fios. That being said, I am completely dissatisfied with their cable service. First they promised me services they cannot provide. It seems that no one has been properly trained on how the equipment works, one person will tell you a feature is available and the next will tell you it is not. No two people under their employ will give you the same answer.

I wanted HDTV service in 3 rooms with a multi-room DVR so they can all access the same recorded programs, the representative processed the order as such and the technician installed it. As soon as I attempted to use the multi-room DVR I discovered it did not work. The same day as the extremely lengthy install, I spent an eternity on hold waiting to speak to a tech support representative, who informed me that the multi-room DVR will only work with standard set-top boxes, not with other HD boxes. So I decided to swap out the HD boxes for standard ones. The representative told me I would have to go to my local Verizon location (about 15 miles) and make the swap. I made the swap and upon hooking up the new receivers discovered that neither of them worked. I, once again, had to spend an extended amount of time on hold only to be told that they would have to send another tech to my home. The technician came out, replaced and programmed the receivers and apparently while doing so disabled one of my other receivers. I made the dreaded phone call to tech support who explained to me that the receiver in my possession (based on the ID number) was, according to their system, still in their inventory. Additionally he told me that I was still being billed (2 billing cycles) for the 2 additional HD receivers that I returned. He corrected the billing and said my next statement would reflect a credit and told me he would have to connect me to tech support to fix the receiver. Tech support was unable to correct the problem and said another location would have to handle it and that they would call me the following day. That evening alone, I spent 1 hour and 20 minutes on hold and on the phone with the representatives. The following day, I did get a phone call and finally it seemed all my receivers were working.

Now let me briefly tell you all the things that are wrong with their DVR. The scheduled programs all cut off about 2 minutes short of the end, so I have been forced to extend the recording time. The pause button is nearly for show, 3 out of 5 times if you pause a program, when you attempt to resume it, it starts over from the beginning. The fast forward feature works very similarly. I fast forward and when I attempt to resume play, it starts the recording over. The DVR does not recognize that a particular episode/movie is already on the DVR and will record it over and over, so that you will find it taped the same exact thing three times. Pause, rewind and fast forward live TV only works in the room with the DVR. You can only program the DVR (delete, record, etc..) from the room with the DVR, cannot access these functions from satellite rooms. Actually it seems the remote TV’s that access the DVR don’t work particularly well at all. I previously had Dish Network satellite service with the multi-room DVR and all of these functions were available and worked perfectly. Additionally, one of the phone representatives told me, “it would be ideal, but this is not an ideal world”.

Lastly, my bill has come in at nearly $300.00 two months in a row, when they told me the total amount for all of my services would be $210.00. Now even with the $60.00 credit that they are going to issue for the last 2 months of over-billing, it is still substantially higher than I was originally quoted. Unfortunately, in order to speak to billing you have to set aside an hour during the week between 8:00 am and 6:00 pm (the same hours that I work). It seems I have spent so many hours with their technicians and on the phone with their customer service that I should be on their payroll.

Verizon has many kinks to work out with their cable service. They seem to have bitten off more than they can chew. I agreed to a 2 year contract and desperately hope that they can fix their many issues in a timely fashion. Finally, on a positive note, their HD picture is great, it’s just a shame I cannot enjoy it on all of my hi-def televisions.

Comments

Pe
  8th of May, 2008
I agree it is a big difference what they say and what they give you and the price. They promise me i wheel pay 124.99 a mount if i switch to fios triple freedom and now i pay 254.26 and when i call they say o but the rest is extra what rest i ask for everything include
from the beginning and they toll me 124.99 plus taxes so DO NOT SWITCH OR SELECT VERIZON FIOS FOR CHEAPER OR BETTER SERVICE NOT GOOD.

Verizon Communications Logo Verizon Communications