Veritas Communications / Magazine Sales

Veritas Communications
11505 S. Memorial Parkway, Ste 104 Huntsville, Al. 35803
Phone: 256.270.9114
We were on our way out the door and girl named Maria Swafford came walking up. It was dark and there wasn't a car in sight but she said her friends were across the street in the other neighborhood. She was there to try to sell magazines for a class project and whoever sold the most would win an educational trip to somewhere (can't remember). For the most part Maria seemed to be sincere. I looked through her magazine guide and decided to purchase Preschool Play Room for my 3 year old for $48.00. After she left I felt funny about the whole thing and thought about canceling the subscription (since the receipt said I had 3 business days) but then I thought no way did I just get scammed!! Well, 152 days later and no magazine I think I did just that GOT SCAMMED! I am very angry... I've tried calling the number on the receipt and also tried the website. Neither of the two will work. Next step is to contact the BBB just to give them an ear full. Not sure if it will do any good but at least I'll feel a little bit better about the whole thing. I'm taking the time to write this so maybe it won't happen to many other people.

A  15th of Apr, 2009 by
The exact same thing happened to me!! A very sincere young man knocked on my door explaining he was in a debate class. He had to "practice " his skills. We spent 10-15 minutes chatting and after the conversation I wrote a check for $48.00 for a subscription to National Geographic for Kids to help him out. The magazine never arrived and I have been unable to reach anyone on the website or phone! What a scam!!
A  14th of May, 2009 by
The same thing happened to me also!! I spent 48 dollars for a Nickelodeon magazine for my daughter that never came. I ordered it 12/08!! I tried the phone number and the website also, neither of them work. This was a huge SCAM! And I will not order anything like that again...
A  7th of Aug, 2009 by
This Happened to me as well, I would like to ge my money back if anybody has any clue how I can go about it please let me know. Please send any I deas to my e-mail jasonlupton2006@yahoo.com. Thank you.
N  23rd of Sep, 2009 by
Me too. I wanted to help the kid out and I figured I was going to get an ESPN subscription anyway. If anybody gets any info let me know as well. phillyboy8587@hotmail.com
A  8th of Oct, 2009 by
I hate to admit it but I too have been scammed by this group. I did call a number a few times and got a song and dance about my order has been processed and its up to the magizene company to mail me my subscriptions. I placed my order in May its now Oct still no mags. Too make matters worse, the kids told me they were from a local church group. I guess it takes all kinds in this world. I had another group try this and I flat out told them no and the young man got defensive with me. I had to threaten to call the cops on him if he didnt leave the apartment complex. I should have known the first time when the no solicitation signs were violated. If someone comes to your door to sell you magazines dont politly close the door, SLAM IT!!!

Huntsville AL
N  16th of Oct, 2009 by
scammed in Charlottesville, VA. I am so ###ING pissed off
N  10th of Nov, 2009 by
I got scammed in Radford, VA. Some fat ### came by my door and scammed me.
A  5th of Jan, 2010 by
i too feel i got scammed. my 120 days is almost up and when i called the number, it was disconnected. Now i am out $60. not sure who to contact or what to do...feeling scammed!!!
N  7th of Jan, 2010 by
I ordered Men's Health from a Veritas Communications' kid who said he was trying to work on his personal speaking (public relatiions) skills through college... of course it was a lie, I knew that from the start. But, at least these kids are trying to make a living, and not holding a gun to our heads and taking our wallets.

$42 later, I ended up handing him a check (which I was weary about), and I ended up about 3 months later getting magazines, just not Men's Health. I ended up receiving a subscription to Men's Fitness, which is better (in my opinion) then Men's Health.

Was I scammed? Open for debate. Did I get a good deal? Yes, because I would never have bought that magazine otherwise. Would I do it again? No.
N  8th of Jan, 2010 by

File complaints with your state consumer affairs office and the state on your receipt!!!

File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau – www.bbb.org

Call your local police department (there’s not much they can do but make them aware if you get a good investigator they will request your story!!)

And finally call your local reporters (and the local reporters of the city and state on your receipt). I’m also emailing CNN. I don’t know if this will work but if they get enough complaints then they should do something.

Also call the magazine company ask them if they received your order (I bet not) let them know what you are doing. The magazine I ordered is now going to be sent to me from the magazine company (very nice of them).

The more complaints the more accomplished!!!

Complain Complain Complain