VCA Animal Hospitals / rip off

1 Florida, NY, United States

I took my cat here. I knew she was very sick, we adopted her after her original owner died. We had her for only 1.5 years and nursed her back to relative health. We took her here because she was having a hard time breathing. The vet said the diagnostic tests, just 2 x-rays would cost $165., then if they couldn't find anything from that they would have to put a camera down her throat... I couldn't afford all this. He gave her a shot of cortisone saying this would help her but just for a short time. It did and it gave us time to think what to do. They said euthanasia is $123 when i asked. But the next day, her breathing became so labored again so I brought her back the next night to euthanize her. I told them when I came in what I needed, that I needed her to be put down. The girl brought me in the room and called a vet. in. I told him what was going on with her, and what the vet said yesterday and told him I needed to put her down, I was crying. He said he would get his stethescope. He listened to her, we talked for a bit, I thought he was just being nice. I told the girl I wanted to be with her while she was put down, and they had me fill out a paper on what I wanted to do with the remains. I asked if any of these options cost more and she said no. Then she took my cat, saying she was going to start the IV. They brought me to the front to pay and asked for $230! I was shocked. They said the extra was for the vet to examine her. The vet came out and we argued about the unanticipated cost $100 for him to listen to her lungs but they took that cost off. Then they were going to charge me $75 for them to dispose of her remains when earlier they told me it was no extra cost, so I told them I would take her home and bury her. Then, the girl who took my cat to start the IV comes out with Samantha wrapped in a towel, again I was shocked and said, "I told you I wanted to be with her" and took my cat and ran out the door.
This place is horrible. Not only a rip off but a bunch of liars. They are predators who try to prey on you when you are vulnerable. Please, spread the word, never take your animal to this place. A horrible experience, it was horrible that Samantha died, scared, without me with her. They took that away from me.

Tr