vartec / Unauthorized billing

1 US Review updated:

Var Tec Telecom or [protected] has been ripping off my 94 year old mom for months charging $8.30 for a one minute call to California that costs 0.42 they charge a minimum usage fee and other taxes that adds up to over $8.00!!. I called them and complained and they told me that I have to spend $7.50 in calls so I'm not charged the minimum usage fee, or not make any more calls using [protected], so I didn't. The August bill came with NO Calls made, but AGAIN the regular minimum usage fee and other taxes and government fees were charged totalling $8.30!. I called again and asked why these charges were assessed if NO calls were made, they said I had made a one minute call in June (where they already charged me the minimum usage fee) for that month and for July and said they were 2 billing cycles behind in their billing and in addition, they "anticipated" I would spend and charged the minimum usage fee for "my convenience" HORRENDOUS!!! In addition to that the guy "Jason" was extremely rude and wouldn't credit me back, so I'm reporting this rip off to the FCC.

La

Comments

• Bo
      Feb 17, 2010
    vartec - Charging for calls not made!
    Vartec
    California

I have been using this long distance service (1010297) for years and now am experiencing a Minimum Long Distance Charge of $7.50. I never received notice of this change.

Feb 28, 2010
    vartec - Billing scam
    VarTec

VarTec repeatedly tries to bill me falsely for service never requested. I am NOT a VarTec customer, NEVER HAVE BEEN. They a billing to an address that doesn't exist, and a phone number I don't recognize.

Repeated phone calls netted NO satisfaction, except a weak explanation that "their computer system is down and they can't verify anything right now". First bill and followup call were in Dec 09, and now a second bill has arrived in Feb 10, and a second call was as fruitless as the first.

Sounds like a BOILER ROOM SCAM!!! How can they run a phone system that they can't even operate. FCC is my next stop.

Jan 26, 2011
    vartec - Charging for calls not made!
    VarTec

VarTec will not only will they charge you for calls not made (not even home on that date) but they have one of the poorest customer service of any company I have dealt with. They asked how to spell a simple name five times and after repeating myself way too many times and the rep. stating "that you must of made the calls" (not only were we out of town on that day, we know no one in the state listed and when I called the number on my cell phone the number does not even exist) and then they tried to pass the buck to the local phone carrier! After requesting to speak with a supervisor another 5 times the supervisor was even worse!