10:00 AM - 9:00 PM
Furniture

Value City Furniture / misleading warranty - left with peeling furniture

Ma Review updated:
Phone: (708) 422-2900

I purchased a sofa and loveseat in January 2009 along with the warranty and now I am left with two horrible pieces of peeling furniture.
When I purchased the couches the salesman was very nice and very insistent that we get a 7 year warranty. We were not considering getting the furniture warranty since it was a little expense ($119 fabric protection and $69.99 extended warranty. The furniture was only $969.99!) and we do not have any kids or pets. After all the hesitation we decided to buy the warranty. We thought it would cover anything since it covered peeling and stains which are the most important.

2 years and 7 months later... the peeling starts to occur. In a matter of days both couches started peeling. I called the warranty company right away. The requested pictures and a copy of the receipt. I sent the information as soon as possible and all I received back was a DENIAL email. They said the peeling was "accumulated" and the warranty did not cover this. After several calls to the warrant company and the same answers, we do not cover accumulated peeling, I decided to call Value City Furniture directly. I was relieved when I spoke to a very nice sales rep. at the store and she set up an appointment for a repair man to come and take a look at the damage on the furniture. They did not have any appointments right away so I had to wait two weeks for someone to come in to take a look at the furniture. The repair man was only going to take pictures and report back his findings. Before he left I did ask him if the furniture can be repaired to look the same as before and his answer was NO. The peeling was too much and he could not repair it. He said to wait for the store to call with their opinions. The store did not call back so I had to follow up with them. The first day I called they could not answer any questions as the person who reviews the pictures which were taken was no there. I had to call again and after holding a while they reviewed the case a woman got on the phone and said once again... the peeling accumulated and we do not cover this. I called several times to get the store manager on the phone but had no luck. Every time I would call I would get another person on the phone and had to explain my problem again and again and again. They were so unhelpful in every way!

I don't understand is why would they sell me a warranty, a very expensive, warranty which does not cover anything?! And to think I bought my bedroom set 3 months before the peeling began. If I would have known the living room furniture would be as horrible as it is I would not have invested in bedroom furniture at Value City. Now I am worried, what will happen to my bedroom set in 2 years???

Comments

•   Sep 14, 2011

Maggie, I am sorry you are going through this. We want all of our customers to have an enjoyable shopping experience, and we want to work with you to help resolve this situation. Please send me an email at vcf.[protected]@vcf.com. I will forward your email to our Corporate Customer Service. Please know that we are dedicated and committed to our customers. Please send me an email at your convenience.

Sep 15, 2011

thank you for the advise mstitch. I have gone through my warranty and it covers peeling that is why it is very upsetting they are not covering any of it. I have sent a detailed email with before and after pictures (8 weeks apart) to Value City as requested and am waiting to hear back.

Oct 04, 2011

Great news! Value City has agreed that the warranty should have covered! I received a call right away after my detailed email to Value City. The store manager (Joe) was great in handling the issue (he should have been the go-to guy not the manager on duty everytime I called). All he needed was a copy of the warranty which stated PEELING as covered. As soon as he recieved the warranty he issued a store credit! We have picked out new sofas (not leather of course) and just waiting on the delivery for this weekend! After all the hassel I am finally going to get the sofa set I paid for and get rid of the defective set :)