Valentine and Kebartas / Unprofessional

I just wanted to give everyone a heads up about a collection agency that I have been dealing with. It's name is "VKI", I believe it stands for Valentine and Kabartas.

Here is the situation... when I decided to join a debt counseling service I had to contact VKI and let them know that I had to cancel the current plan I had made with them and set up a new one because I was trying to pay ALL my creditors back at once (because I found that trying to do it all on my own wasn't working) and this is what happened...

On the first call to them I explained to the woman who answered that I had to cancel the current plan I had to make a new one and she transfered me to a "manager" then I had a rude man pick up the line and say "WHAT"? he did not say hello or give his name, he just knew that I was calling to cancel the current plan for a new one so he was rude.
I ended up having to end the phone call before the current plan was canceled because he had me in tears by the way he was speaking to me, like I was a piece of trash. All I was trying to do was pay EVERYONE and try to be responsible. ( I explained during this conversation that I was in fact going to pay them just in a different manner!)

SO, the next day I toughened up and I called back. I told the lady who answered that I needed to cancel the current plan because I was entering a debt counseling program and she replied with " I have to transfer you to the manager". I then explained to her what had happened the prior day and that I could NOT talk to the same man who put me in tears and she (almost in a giggle) said "let me see what I can do" and then proceeded to transfered me to THE SAME RUDE MAN who answered like this "I thought we went over this yesterday" (in a yell) Again, I recieved no hello or my name is...just a rude answer! So, I simply said "I need to cancel my current plan" and he then YELLED "you are refusing to pay" and when I tried to respond and defend myself he HUNG UP!

At that point I was SO relieved that I did not have to talk to him anymore that I let it go for a little while UNTIL VKI debited my account anyways.
These people are so unprofessional that they put a women in tears and they don't listen to anything that you are trying to say! They just CUT YOU OFF mid sentence so that they sound like the right one and they treat you like garbage.
Thanks to them debiting my account, I had a negative balance and had to pay overdraft fees. I wish I had been recording the conversation because you WOULD NOT believe the way this man was talking to me!

And I just want to make something clear, I was in no way REFUSING to pay. As a matter of fact the whole reason I joined a debt counseling service is to re-pay ALL my creditors.

But the problem with the conversation I had with VKI is this...they were recording the conversation and when the rude man said "YOU ARE REFUSING TO PAY" and then he HUNG UP on me, this didn't give me a chance to defend myself and say that I AM going to pay!!

I am going to contact the Federal Trade Commission and also if they have the audacity to call me again I will let them know that they are in violation of the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act!
I have been doing my research because of their inappropriate behavior and because they debited my checking account without my permission!
I hope they get shut down! They are in violation of fair practices acts and should NOT be allowed to keep treating people this way.
I made all my own mistakes that put me in debt BUT I am trying to be responsible and repay everyone now.

More Valentine and Kebartas Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ta
      Oct 16, 2012

They called me and said they were not the collections agency, and the sense of urgency I had till 12 to make my decision, I was told that they would not give me their information till they had my information, I told them that was not happening, that my sister recently got scammed, so they sent me a letter, which stated they are debt collectors, I have read horrible things about them all day, and I am not paying them $1, not scamming me and taking advantage of me, sorry for the girl that was crying, they were very rude too me too, they act like there so high and mighty, way to go, piss people off, you will not get anything, the internet is too easy for us to get your bad information.

• Th
      Nov 01, 2012

"YOU ARE REFUSING TO PAY"
    First of all this is a stupid statement that has no legal bearing or teeth. But when you don't know your rights under the federal laws FDCPA and FCRA this statement sounds so legal to you.

So what first thing to do before you talk to any CA is to learn your rights. If they sense that you don't know them they push you around and even make you cry. Also keep in mind you are dealing with high school level derelicts who cannot get a professional career because they never amounted to much in life. That is why they talk down at you. Take back your power. Google these and become an informed consumer.

1-what to do when you are contacted by a collections agency.
    2-your rights under federal laws FDCPA and FCRA
    3-Validation of debt (VOD), cease and desist (C&D), CMRRR
    4-Your state's Statute of Limitations (SOL) on debt.
    5-post your questions at debtorboards dot com if things get thick

Scenario A
    Now you are ready to engage. Use CMRRR mail, don't use the phone. If you have to phone do so only if you can record the conversation and tell them you oare doing so if you want them to behave. And oh boy do they it's impressive.

Cancel your current arrangment and then send them a CMRRR cancelling it. They can never deny that you did.

Scenaio B
    Never ever agree/accept/acknowledge a debt. Where SOL may be expired the debt is noncollectable. If you agree to it you will restart the clock and thereby re-activate the debt. Instead demand a VOD-it has to be the original contract with your signature on it, not some letterheaad stating some amount you owe.
    If you get the VOD and everything is ok, i.e. you rightfully owe, SOL is not expired, etc, obtain a letter of settlement stating how much you will pay (first negotiate the amount to a third of it they always take it, it's better than zero).
    Don't pay anything with out the settlement offer first, no matter what they say, the deal is off etc, just say fine. Click. They will call back, they have sensed $$$.
    Submit payment via CMRRR mail (or signature required) ONLY, check or Money Order only, no electronic access to your bank account. They will clean you out.
    Keep all the payment documents for life. They resell your paid off debt and then it's the same collections story all over again.
    Avoid talking on the phone (and if you must, then record, you may or not tell them you are doing so. But they behave if they know you are). Keep all the evidence. If they violate federal law each infraction you can prove is worth $1000 to you.

And do me a favor next time a collector tells you "YOU ARE REFUSING TO PAY" laugh at their face and tell them indeed and put that in my file. It means nothing.

• Th
      Nov 01, 2012

Neece2208, I would not recommend that route you want to take. Instead look at Dave Ramsey 7 baby steps. Either way it's still worth your time anyways.