Vacation Travel Club / False Promises

1 IA, United States Review updated:

Vacation Services of America promised that as members of Vacation Travel Club, we would be able to get the lowest rates on hotels and motels as we traveled. Fact, we got better rates just walking in without a reservation. They also promised huge savings on first rate condos. We did get a good rate on a condo at Ft. Morgan, Al but it was poorly maintained. The plumbing fixtures, faucets and water control, were hanging loose through the wall. They were operable but very unsightly and in danger of breaking loose.

Ga

Comments

• Va
      14th of Jul, 2008
    Vacation Travel Club - Unauthorized billing
    1600 Corporate Ct Suite 140
    Irving
    Texas
    Phone: 214-614-7300
    www.vacationtravelclub.com

On 6/16/08 I received a automated phone call from West Star advertising claiming that I hand enter my name somewhere and won a 4 day five night cruise all inclusive, and a 300 dollar gas card. All I had to do to obtain the offer was go to their grand opening of their new location in Irving Texas, be married or living with partner (co-habiting), 25 years or older, and have a credit card with a Visa or mastercard logo. I accepted the offer.

That afternoon I received a from call from Lauren at West star and she again confirmed the details listed above and also mentioned that I would have to attend an hour long presentation and the only reason they needed the credit card was for identification purposes only and she gave us a confirmation code. She stated that I could go pick up the gifts and attend the presentation that next day on 6/17/08 at 6:00 pm or 8:00 pm. I chose 8:00 because I don't get off of work until 6:00. Me and my fiancee arrive 30 minutes early, excited that we would finally get to go on a cruise which we could have used for our honeymoon!! When we arrived I noticed that we were the second couple there. The receptionist asked us for the confirmation code, to see our ID and our credit card. Let me remind you that I was told that any credit card with a VIsa or Mastercard logo would work, so I handed her my debit/credit card that included a Visa logo. When I gave it to her, she asked me if I had a 'major' credit card, I replied yes, but they're in my other purse and explained that I was told that the card I had was okay to bring. she told me that it was not a problem and gave me the application to fill out.

As soon as we sat down, a guy by the name of Craig approached us and asked how did we here about them, I told him that we received a phone call that stated I had entered my name somewhere. He insisted on knowing. He then asked, well, do you think it was on craigslist or backpage. I told him that I didn't remember, all I know is I received the phone call from West Star Advertising and he replied 'Oh that makes sense'. What ever that's suppose to mean. So we finished the application and handed it back to the receptionist. A couple of minutes later she returns and asks us what gifts were we offered, I told her, then she preceded back to her desk. At this time more couples have shown up. We had been there about 30 minutes and we were noticing that all of the people who arrived after us, all except two African American Couples and and a Caucasian couple who happened to be sitting right next to us.

Ten more minutes had passed and then a guy comes up to us and tells us that they can't let us in the presentation because we did not provide a valid credit card. I explained to him the same this that I explained to the receptionist and I also told him that this was a waste of time, the receptionist should have told us that at the beginning. I told him that I had two major credit cards at home, I brought my debit card because it just happened to be in the purse that I was carrying that day. I also told him that my fiance could run back to the house to retrieve it. He said that they were about to start but he would go and speak to his manager. The couple next to us over heard the conversation and told us that they didn't have a major credit card either and they were told that any card with a visa, master card logo would work. In the middle of our conversation the same guy that we were talking to called them to the side room. When the couple left the room they told us that the reason they wants your credit card was so that they could bill you every month for the 'free' cruise. After they told us this, we got up and headed for the door. I told the staff while we were heading out, that the whole advertisement was a crack of bull and they shouldn't judge a book by it's cover. Craig came behind me explaining that they were about to ask us to come back to the presentation while at the same time ripping up our application.

To be honest, I feel as though we were being discriminated against. We were one of three African american couples that were the only ones remaining in the waiting area. One of those couples they told they could not attend because they to did not have a major credit card, the other couple they let into the presentation. Its my assumption that they let the other couple in, which arrived right after us, because they had no other choice. I'm sure they had a major credit card and they didn't have anything else to single them out. Another question that I would like to know is why did they call the caucasion couple that did not have a major credit card to the back to explain to them the criteria if you didn't have a major credit card but automatically were telling the african american couples that we couldn't attend the presentation. Were they going to let the caucasion couple go to the back if they had excepted the terms or was it because they automatically judged the african american couples as low income people who are unable to afford their cruises? Your guess is as good as mind but whatever the case may be, no one regardless of race, age, ethnicity, or gender should be treated the way that we were!! They need to own up to the offer that they promised and maybe this letter will give them a wake up call. I would hate for someone to endure the humiliation and embarrassment that we did with this company!! They should just post a sign that says' If you are a minority you can not attend the presentation but if you have a major credit card 'which is suppose to be for identification purposes but we really need it so that we can sell you cruises and bill you, then this is not the place for you.' We will not give you a free cruise or $300 gas card because we will not get anything in return' The only way to get this items is if you are willing to PAY!!!

20th of Jul, 2008
    Vacation Travel Club - Reneged on everything promised
    2655 M-63 N.
    Benton Harbor 49022
    Phone: 1-800-524-6240
    www.vacationtravelclub.com

We went to a presentation of Vacation Travel Club and were promised a free gas card and two free airline tickets. The presenter said we had one year to book the flights but when we tried to book them several week later they did not respond for two months. When we finally heard from them after numerous calls and emails, they told us it was too late to give us the airline tickets or the gas card.

We went through their prices and they weren't any cheaper as they'd said and they wouldn't give me a refund of any part of the initial membership of $3, 314.00. I will report report them to the better business bureau of Michigan and I am taking them to small claims court.

These people are scam artists and thieves.

• Mi
      29th of Jul, 2008

I was happy to know that the Caribbean has great affordable vacation trip like charlisangels adult and erotic vacations resort. I spent four days three nights in the sex resort private beach villas at an all inclusive packages.

25th of Sep, 2008

I too feel that we have been riped off by Vacation Travel Club. They had poor response, bad deals and will not refund my money. I would like to see a class action lawsuit against them. I personally complained tO the Michigan Better Business Bureau and the Washington State Attorney Generals office. That didn't do me a damn bit of good. I haven't received one dollars worth of service or vacation planning. If you are thinking of joining, BEWARE.

• Dd
      25th of Sep, 2008

We filled a complaint with the Florida Attorney General a few months back. We heard for the office this week that they are in meetings with United Vacation Network/Suncoast Vacations Attorneys. They hope to meet with the owners shortly. Their comment was that they are working to shut this company down and get money back for those who have filed a complaint. If you haven"t filed a complaint please do so today.

22nd of Oct, 2008
    Vacation Travel Club - Terrible experience
    vacationtravelclub.com

I have a rental unit in Florida and received an e mail about it. After researching where it came from I found out that Vacation Travel Club was trying to rent my place. They said it was for a client of theirs. What they are actually doing is renting from me, bumping up the price and scamming their clients into paying more for the unit. I only do business directly with clients and told them that. I got a nasty e mail back from them saying they do business this way a lot and they won't bother me again. Beware of where you rent from!

• Ka
      4th of Nov, 2008
    Vacation Travel Club - Reneged on everything promised
    vacation travel club
    2655m-63n
    Benton Harbor
    Phone: 1-800-524-6240
    vacationtravelclub.com

the web site only list a few deals. and when i did try to book a trip with them, they never returned my call. we paid almost $5000. for this service.

• Ds
      12th of Dec, 2008

For All Vacation Travel Club Scams
    File a complaint with the Better Business Bureau, Attorney General in Michigan
    Also file complaints for the travel company that sold the membership.
    We need to stop these people & their companies.

27th of Apr, 2009

Vacation Travel Club secures the lowest rates for its members. VTC has never marked up any Condo unit(s) it finds for its members. This complaint is unwarranted and should not have been posted.

VTC

27th of Apr, 2009

Vacation Travel Club does not get involved with marketing or sales. The trip(s) that were promised are not through VTC nor did VTC promise these trips to any clients. People who write in these complaints should be more careful of who they are pointing a finger at because there is a good chance they are accusing the wrong company. VTC has been in business for almost 20 years and have an A+ rating with the BBB.

27th of Apr, 2009

Members have some special listing destinations to choose from on the web, but we like our members to call in to get the best price available at the time of booking. VTC can secure thousands of destinations for its members in various locations worldwide. All phone calls are now logged in and recorded for quality assurance. Please call us back for up to the minute quotes from an experienced Travel Professional.

21st of May, 2009

They are vey hard to get hold of. has all the earmarks of a scam. I'm two weeks in and they still haven't given me as much as a reservation

21st of May, 2009

That having been said, vacation travel club's service is exceptionally poor. I signed up May 9, gave them a trip to book then, and still haven't seen so much as a reservation despite chasing them numerous times.

The people we signedup through, Paradise travel of Melville, NY, certainly fit the profile of the scam artists desribed here. And until I see some service out of VTC, I don;t see the need to separate the two.

• De
      19th of Jun, 2009

I hope this posting helps consumers who may not have the time to do the research. We hope you carefully consider what we have found.

I also got the same "voucher". My husband and I went to the presentation on April 14. We figured we would listen to the presentation just to see what they were offering. No harm in becoming educated on any new travel programs out there right? We listened to the one hour presentation and it looked very impressive and all prices were WAY below the rates that are current. (I always look for travel deals when surfing the net...mostly for fun.) Our presenter, Lance, was very enthusiastic always clear to comment that you could join now (which was better) or at a later date (for lesser benefits). After the presentation, we were brought into a small office for the "pushy" part. Similiar to a timeshare plug. The price went from $7995 for four weeks, NOT including the $399 fee for "activation" and the $199 for yearly maintenance. The saleman left the room so my husband and I could "talk and decide". Here are a few of our observations regarding this whole experience. I took several pages of notes to ensure the accuracy of the information.

1) In my husbands opinion, this was a makeshift office. He felt it looked like they "set up shop" for a few weeks. It was not the way a "full service" travel agency would look by any stretch of the imagination.

2) After several hours of internet research we found (or did not find) the following information.

**Paradise travel is NOT listed on the Better Business Bureau website as was stressed in the presentation.

**There are NO websites anywhere with any key words listed in the presentation i.e. Paradise travel or VTC. (Strange how this is the "largest" service in exsistence".)

**The presentation stated that the "mother" company is in Michigan. I did not find any agency in Michigan that had the title "Paradise Travel". There are several other agencies in different states that use "Paradise Travel", but none that offers these services.

3) I called the original 800 number who made the reservation for us. The evening supervisor named Chris was unable to find any website information. He and I will speak later and I will update this site.

4) The free gift voucher is a bit of a scam. After reading the print--all of it--there are so many restrictions, you will never be able to travel. The evening supervisor Chris asked for a copy of this voucher because his company is giving misinformation. I was told when I called that yhse tickets were good year round. Here is what the fine print said.

"Surcharges will apply for "peak months". Are you ready for this? Here is what is considered "peak" travel. ALL of the following months" March, June, July and August. Also peak is considered to be the week prior, during and after a major holiday". What the hell does that mean? I'll make it clear for you.

If you wanted to go away for a getaway in October, remember that Columbus day is October 12. So--you cannot travel the first week of October, the second week or the third week without a "surcharge or extra fee". That's most of October! Well here's the kicker--November 11 is Veterans's Day and you cannot travel the week before etc. Therefore, you only have one week to travel if you can get it, and that's the last week of October. All based on availability. (FYI-I have a call in to the company who issues the vouchers--and will update when the info is received.) I would like to know how much the "surcharge" will be!

What is rather scary to us is that no information is out there regarding this company. And, you can always find the info on the internet--even one piece of info. The only information I found was this web blog. Now that's pretty scary. My husband feared that if the company did exsist and they went "belly up", where is the one time fee of $7995?"

Consumers BEWARE!!! If they are the largest, would we be able to find a shred of information about them? Look at RCI for time shares--they are the biggest and they are all over the internet!!!

I will update when I get any new information!

25th of Jun, 2009

I have since had a little more experience with Vacation Travel Club (VTC, the Michigan company behind Paradise travel), not all bad. They were able to book me a 2BR apartment at a rate that was indeed about 40% cheaper than a 2BR suite hotel room was for the same week in the city I am going to visit.

That’s the good news. They said in our presentation that they can save money on condos, cruises, and packages, not airfare or cars. That too is true- they don;t do anything special on flights. They have a requirement that you send them a signed form for every air travel booking. Instead I booked the same flights on Orbtiz faster, and about $10 cheaper.

And they continue to be very poor with overall service- takes them forever to answer your e-mails. Waiting a week for them to get back is not uncommon, vs. booking something while you look at it on the web. So I’d have to say in my case (assuming the apartment is actually there when I visit!) they can do what they say they specialize in, but they are poor at service, and probably not worth what we paid for it.

• Ju
      18th of Jul, 2009

That's funny. Why is it when ever something negative happens to someone of African American descent its automatically because of their color? After reading this complaint its quite obvious what happened. They were invited to a SALES presentation with the offer of a gift as incentive for attending. Now for those of you out their with half a brain this will make all the sense in the world. THEY WOULD NOT LET YOU ATTEND BECAUSE YOU DID NOT HAVE THE FINANCIAL ABILITY TO PURCHASE WHAT THEY HAD. You brought a debit card and the manager was playing the odds. Most debit cards have a daily spending limit of some where around a thousand dollars. What they were selling either cost more then a thousand or required a down payment of over a thousand dollars. It would not have mattered if you were black brown purple yellow or orange. All they see is green. Which you obviously didn't have. I am so tired of every time something bad happens to a black person its automatically racist. IF YOU DON'T LIKE AMERICA LEAVE! Racism will only be done when my kids qualify for the black college fund.

• Do
      22nd of Aug, 2009

We purchased shares of VTA while in Branson, turned over our paid time shares from Florida. VTA took the time shares, but did not pay the annual maintenance fee, but we were not aware. The Florida time share turned us into a collectio agency for the maintenance fee; then we received notice. When I followed up with VTA, they sent my call back to Branson, they told me if I paid the maintenance fee, I could use th paid time in return. In order to get my name off the collection agency I paid the fee; then when I called the Florida time share to use the time (as promised by VTA) - I was told the time share was no longer in my name, and could not use it. I was duped. Paid the maintenace fee to get myself off the collection agency report, and when I did VTA turned in the deed and got the property turned over in their name. Slick - they not only received our paid time shares, they managed to get another year of maintenancefee from use, and charged us another $2017 to buy the VTA package. Beware - DO NOT BUY INTO THE PROGRAM> IT IS A SCAM!!!

6th of Feb, 2010

Amen! You hit the right color. She needs to be glad that she did not have the fine oppourtity of attending this scam of a meeting. We did and we are now cancelling and we can't find the Vacation Travel Store in Irving, Texas or Keller, Texas. They don't exist!

• Cy
      7th of Apr, 2011

I and my husband got misled by them too. the deals offered in their member website after we signed up and paid several thousand dollars were no where match what they advertised in their sales pitch. i don't know about you guys. we are suing them. they are running a scam. i will also report them to FBI too. Please get on board. Here is my email address: [protected]@hotmail.com My name is VTCvictim1000.

• Cy
      7th of Apr, 2011

Contact me and we will file a Class Action lawsuit against them.
    [protected]@hotmail.com