Vacation Property Services / Took money and not responding

I paid $1,410.00 to list 2 timeshare properties April 10, 2006. They have stopped taking or returning my calls. I don't see them listed on their website.

Comments

• Lo
      17th of Oct, 2008

Vacation Property Services -- the entire company -- is a den of thieves. Gedeon Tirado left numerous urgent-sounding messages on my voice mail. Believing he was from a company I had contacted (he was not), I called him. We had several conversations, during which he told me he had buyers for my timeshare (a weekly at a lake in Iowa). I pointedly and repeatedly asked him to clarify whether he had buyers or if he just wanted to help me sell the property. At least three times he said, “I have a buyer.” He claimed that Vacation Property Services had sent “the buyers” on a week's vacation to my property and had given them a “virtual tour of RCI” (resort association). The "buyers, " he said, had offered $15, 000. "You could counter-offer, but I wouldn't. That might scare them off." He told me I'd incur no costs except for deed and title, for $702.

He transferred me to the Verification Department for a taped monologue, during which the woman never once mentioned advertising. A week later, I received an "Advertisement Confirmation" letter, not the "Welcome Packet" the woman had mentioned. At the bottom, I saw my $702 had gone for "advertising." And my time to respond and cancel? The day before I received the letter.

I immediately took the matter up with Discover, who gave me a temporary credit but then reversed it when VPS provided "documentation, " including the script the phony Verification Department employee never followed. I sent them the notes of my conversations with Gedeon, along with a copy of a five-page letter I wrote to the Economic Crimes Division of the Florida Attorney General's office, which had been investigating VPS for these deceptive practices.

James Caudill of VPS called a few days later, saying that the Attorney General's office had contacted Frank Perry, the president of VPS. Mr. Caudill said he "had" me on tape, offered me a $100 credit and additional advertising, and said he could put me in touch with buyers. I asked him if he was insane. "Why would I need advertising when Gedeon told me he'd sold the property? And he never mentioned advertising. I work for an ad agency. Don't you think I would have noticed if someone had mentioned advertising?" He couldn't have cared less.

In a recent letter, the Attorney General's office told me they'd closed their investigation but forwarded my letter to VPS, who "may or may not" take action. So, the crooks are the ones who get to decide whether they'll keep my money? Again, insane.

This has gone far beyond the measly $700. These people have no principles, morals or consciences. They don't deserve to do business anywhere! And if I can stop them, I will. If that means hiring an attorney to pursue a class-action suit, I will.

Too late, I discovered that VPS is on the Timeshare Council’s blacklist (http://www.timesharecouncil.net). I contacted my home resort, Village West, who will publish a warning in their next newsletter. I also plan to contact RCI. I filed a written complaint with the Federal Trade Commission’s Bureau of Consumer Protection. The dispute department at Discover is watching VPS and will yank their account if other people file complaints. (So if you've been scammed and used a Discover card, call them!)

Lori Towne

• Kr
      16th of Nov, 2008

We have been talking to a Gidian Gaud...I guess a different Gidian although he has given us the exect same story. Before agreeing though I wanted to check things out on the internet and cam across your complaint. Thank you.

• Nn
      16th of Dec, 2008

I'm glad you posted, I just got a call from the VPS with the same lines that they have buyers for all three of my timeshares and all I got to pay is $702 for title transfer plus $1, 022 for them to proceed.

• Vi
      30th of Jan, 2009

I have also paid this company money, but mine was for advertising. I own several timeshare weeks and like to rent out some to help with the maintenance fees. I have been promised several things on the phone, but nearly 5 years with them and NO ONE phone call has come from an ad. I have rented units through other companies that charge much less, or through Craigslist which is free.

Emails are not being answered or returned, ad change requests are not being made.
    This company is one to avoid.

• Ce
      31st of Jan, 2009

I too spent $500 in 2004 to advertise/rent my timeshare. I have never heard from this company again. BEWARE. They now won't respond to my letters or emails either.

• Ho
      7th of Feb, 2009

Again I spent $499.00 to advertise with this company in November of 2002 and I have never received any correspondence with
    anyone after the initial expense. No one will return my phone calls or emails. The person that took my money was Walter Woods an
    "advertising executive". EVERYONE BEWARE THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM COMPANY.

• Me
      3rd of Mar, 2010

Thank you for posting your complaints. I just received a call from a Jessica Sawyer with VPS who said she had a buyer for our two timeshare weeks at Powhatan Plantation in Williamsburg, VA at no less than $22, 500. We would need to pay $1200 upfront to go forward. She made it sound really good, but when she wanted the money up front I questioned her and told her I had heard of too many scams and would not do it unless she could send me a legal document in the mail... I then searched on the internat and found these complaints. THANK YOU!!

• Dn
      4th of May, 2011

THANKS FOR THE HEADS UP, JUST GOT OFF THE PHONE WITH THEM, AND THE DEAL SOUND TO GOOD TO BE REAL. OF COURSE THEY WANTED $993.00 BUT WENT I SAID THAT WAS TO MUCH THEY CHOP IT TO $527.00 THANKS FOR YOUR HEADS UP CAUSE I STILL HAVE MY $527.00 IN MY POCKET.