Utopian Travel / Unable to cancel!

1315 NW 185th Ave. #113Beaverton, OR, United States Review updated:
4.05
Phone: 503-643-0227
We purchased under pressure late on Friday 1/4 and tried to cancel on Monday 1/7. We have been given the run around for the past two weeks by Utopian and Vacation Travel Club.

Comments

Re
  12th of Feb, 2008
We also purchased from VTC, Utopian Travel (a corporate membership costing $16,995)! We made a down payment but after doing some investigation the next evening we determined we were misled and even lied to during their sales presentation. Even though we called within 3 days to cancel, Utopian is refusing to respond to us. We are working with our credit card company to rescind the payment, but let other potential buyers beware. They are not a reputable company. They did not respond to a complaint by the BBB and refuse to refund our money. Do not do business with them!
Ro
  16th of Feb, 2008
you should not have signed a contract that is non cancellable.. maybe you should read what you sign if you are going to hand over your credit card... and I doubt very seriously you were pressured... that store is well known for their patience with their customers giving them ample time to consider.... you just have buyers remorse.. you had a reason for the purchase the day of... what has happened since.. maybe you should try using it and get some value out of it... silly...
Ro
  16th of Feb, 2008
first of all . first mistake... contract is all sales are final... shouldnt have signed. second. if the contract was cancelable.. everyone knows it has to be by certified letter... you made a phone call... does not work that way.... you should read what you sign....
  2nd of Mar, 2008
Roger Rabbit you should be ashamed of your self agreeing with this fradulant company that steals from comsumers who work hard for there money. You people don't know what work hard work means. You people just take. Agreeing with this VTC Scam, you must be Jamie Wilson himself or his long lost Arkansas cousin or shirt tail relative my god!! We got scamed also just like Rebecaa & I did send a Certified letter, after 4 weeks VTC has not responded yet. We won't stop until we get our full refund back.
Ju
  5th of Mar, 2008
Utopia Travel is a SCAM Company under investigation for fraud as they like another company who also uses the same tactics named Sun Coast Travel both use high pressure tactics for unsuspecting buyers, then they never deliver on the contracts and no one ever gets any services from them and they go on to the next town to scam others.

File a complaint not just with your credit card company but also with your States Attorney General.

I hear Utopia Travel is on on their way to Seattle
{KATU Portland did a follow up on them tonight while they ran off}...Someone should contact the news stations in Seattle as Portland Oregon has investigated both of these company's and found them to be fraudulent.
  6th of Mar, 2008
'GREAT WORK' Laura G. Exposing the Wilsons. Now if we could just get our money back. Now there Utopian sign is down & they must be on the run, shows them for what they are THIEFS and COWARDS!

Beaverton travel agency hit with complaints
by Laura Gunderson, The Oregonian
Wednesday March 05, 2008, 12:39 PM
More than a dozen Oregon consumers have complained to the state Attorney General's Office about a Beaverton travel agency selling memberships to an out-of-state club promising discount airline, cruise and vacation packages.

The state Attorney General's Office said it has launched an investigation.

Customers of Utopian Travel say they received savvy, pressured sales pitches for memberships starting at $11,000. Nine customers, some paying negotiated prices of as much as $4,500, told The Oregonian that they soon found the club offered no significant savings and asked for a refund but were refused. At least 19 customers have filed complaints with the state and many others have posted negative comments on several online travel Web sites.

Customers also claimed that the promises of free airline and cruise tickets used to entice them to sales pitches are bogus - or too difficult to obtain. Janet Wilson, who operates Utopian with her husband, Troy James Wilson, said customers are not pressured and she has many happy clients.

"A lot of other customers have gotten on (the travel Web sites) and read the negative comments and made a decision about us without trying our service or without calling us," Wilson said. "But we take pride in our business and we have nothing to hide."

Wilson said representatives with Attorney General's Office have sat through Utopian's presentations and "are fine with it."

No response from that office was immediately available Wednesday morning.

Utopian has solicited Oregonians through postcards since September and has held many evening sessions to pitch Vacation Travel Club in an office park on Southwest Koll Parkway. Utopian customers say they were told club memberships provide at least 10 percent - and as much as 50 percent - savings, compared with airfare, cruises, condominiums and other vacation packages found online or through other travel agents.

Vacation Travel Club is a separate company based in Benton Harbor, Mich.

Utopian customers say they're told they must purchase memberships the same evening and when they asked to see the deals online, customers say they were told Utopian's computers were broken or the club's Web site was down for maintenance.

Dean Adams said he and his wife purchased a membership to the club on Jan. 5 believing they could get good deals on flights to Japan, where their daughter lives. However, after spending $4,500 on a membership, which requires an annual $199 re-up charge, he found the travel deals were no better than those that he could track down on Web sites such as CheapTickets.com or Expedia.com.

"I'd called my daughter all excited to tell her that we'd be traveling together," said Adams, who said he has asked Utopian for a refund and has been refused. He's in the process of disputing the charge on his credit card. "I had to call her back and apologize. All that, the vacation plans - everything is down the toilet."

For more on Utopian Travel and its customers experiences, read a detailed story in The Oregonian later this week.

-- Laura Gunderson; lauragunderson@news.oregonian.com
Ma
  10th of Mar, 2008
We received the postcard in the mail and were skeptical due to the fact we have been solicited several times in the past from timeshare companies. Nonetheless, we attended their presentation and were wildly surprised to hear that we could trade in our timeshare for vacations!!!! We are happy customers and I recommend that you give them a chance. Its not the hotel stay the is the deep discount but the ability to trade in unwanted timeshares and their vacation packages are where the real savings are. Make sure you are comparing apples to apples when checking other websites too. These deals give you the nice rooms with views. Not the parking lot view or the part of the cruise ship near the boiler room. Utopian is getting a bad wrap. The customer can say no by the way.
Ca
  10th of Mar, 2008
"Deep discounts", "cruise ship near the boiler room", "apples to apples". All phrases heard regularly on the sales floor at Utopian Travel. Hi Jamie. Oh and Roger Rabbit- Hi Troy.
  11th of Mar, 2008
The "You can trade in your Timesahre.", is another scam of its own. Why would you trade a deed for air?
Jb
  12th of Mar, 2008
Thanks all of you for your warnings. We fell for the enticement of free air tickets (from Certs) and went to a UTOPIA travel club presentation in Beaverton, Oregon. (However, their information was contained in a VIP Travel Services folder and VIP has its share of complaints filed, as does CERTS!) As noted, Utopia is being investigated by the OR Atty. General, since those people who signed up for the exorbitant membership fees were not given the 48 hours right of rescission under state law. Anyway, we'll tear up our CERTS voucher form and learn from everyone else's experiences. They'll not get any of our money nor waste any more of our time!
  13th of Mar, 2008
If you have a complaint about a company that offers to resell timeshares, write to:

Correspondence Branch
Federal Trade Commission
Washington, D.C. 20580

Although the FTC cannot intervene in individual disputes, the information you provide may indicate a pattern of possible law violations requiring action by the Commission.
Ku
  13th of Mar, 2008
No. No one is on the run or moving to Seattle.

As of the mailer received yesterday, March 12, 2008, the company has moved to:

15275 SW Koll Parkway, Suite A
Beaverton, OR 97006

And they have a new 1-800-number, so web searches don't find the 6 months of bad comments posted here and elsewhere.
  13th of Mar, 2008
Can you let us all know what the new 1-800 number is that is on your mailer?
  13th of Mar, 2008
WE ALL NEED TO BAN TOGETHER AND GET A GOOD LAWYER WHO DEALS WITH SCAMS FOR A 'CLASS A' LAWSUIT AGAINST UTOPIAN TRAVEL CLUB. WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER TO FIGHT THIS AND GET OUR MONEY BACK SOME HOW. I CAN SEE US GOING NO WHERE RIGHT NOW AND NOT SURE EVEN AFTER THE ATTORNEY GENERAL INVESTIGATES IF THEY WILL ACTUALLY FORCE UTOPIAN TO BACK ALL THE MONEY BACK TO US CONSUMERS. ANY IDEA?
  15th of Mar, 2008
Gosh, I need to check my spelling better. It's just that I am so mad at Utopian and mad at myself for letting them rip us off.

Re-wrote my comment:
1 days ago by Nancy [send email]
WE ALL NEED TO BAN TOGETHER AND GET A GOOD LAWYER WHO DEALS WITH SCAMS FOR A 'CLASS A LAWSUIT' AGAINST UTOPIAN TRAVEL CLUB. WE NEED TO COME TOGETHER TO FIGHT THIS AND GET OUR MONEY BACK SOME HOW. I CAN SEE US GOING NO WHERE RIGHT NOW AND NOT SURE EVEN AFTER THE ATTORNEY GENERAL INVESTIGATES IF THEY WILL ACTUALLY FORCE UTOPIAN TO PAY BACK ALL THE MONEY TO US CONSUMERS. ANY IDEA? Yesterday March 14-08, I received a letter from Utopian that they are still deciding how to resolve our issue & answer our questions. The jerks! Just give us our $4,500 back now, plus the 199.00 annual fee to keep the darn thing (We don't want it -It's NO GOOD!! )

UPDATE: I seen on NWCN this Sat. am the Sunburst Travel is now in Seattle, 3 blocks from the Space needle and they have already suckered more people at Motel 6. They work fast. The money hungary leeches!! Why does't the Attorney General & BBB shut them down & arrest the whole lot of them I heard That Sunburst Travel & Utopian work together. Until they get in trouble & put in jail they will continue to scam innocent people.
Bo
  8th of Apr, 2008
Everyone interested in pursuing a lawsuit send me your contact information. I will be looking for an attorney this week (April 7th, 2008) to see what we can do. Enough is enough! Regardless of what was signed, it was based on clear fraud and deception. They need to be held accountable. It is easier to "just move on", and more difficult to fight through this and do the right thing! I am out of Salem and very busy, but am angry enough to picket in front of their agency. Hit them where it hurts - the pocket book! bobrochefort@comcast.net
Ci
  29th of May, 2008
We too were scammed by this less than reputable company. We found out early on that the rental car coupon was a joke. We spent $4, 500.00 on a Friday for the same plan. We too changed our mind and figured we had the 3 day recission period. When we went back within the 3 day period, we were told they didn't have a 3 day recission period and that we would have to submit a letter to the board but most likely they wouldn't refund the money. We too say that there were no savings. I have filed a complaint with the BBB and Attorney General's office but nothing good has come out of either. Our credit card company won't reverse the charges either. We would just like to get our money back. Any ideas?
Ji
  3rd of Jun, 2008
Utopian travel has closed their Beaverton office (all furniture is gone).
Does anyone know where this company has relocated (address or phone number). I would like to speak to Jamie Wilson, Andrew or Liz.
From the credit card company I received this address:
Utopian travel
925 A #300
Paseo Del Pueblo
Taos NM 87571-5906.

If anyone get a lead please reply to this board. I will check it frequently.
Pa
  10th of Jul, 2008
We too were scammed. Are they really gone?
A friend of mine who is a consumer advocate sent me this message:

Hi Patrick,
I saw this posted online this morning and thought you might be interested in contacting this guy:

Ok, I have set up an initial meeting with a law firm in Portland that is really interested in a "Class Action Law-Suit" against the Utopian Travel. If you are interested in this, PLEASE e-mail me so we can hit them where it really hurts - they're wallet.
eric@schwarzfamily.net

I am going to contact him tonight.
If anyone else has other plans please let me know.
Br
  12th of Jul, 2008
Give me the details on the lawsuit. My wife and I may be willing to join in after hearing the details. The attorney generals office in Oregon is one big joke. There are laws regarding the 3 day cooling off period. How can one make a contract that has a phrase that all sales are final in a state where that is illegal. I see no results from Hardy Meyers. Our letter basically said we should have read the contract more closely. Thanks alot. This comes from the Attorney General's office. Another attorney in Oregon getting involved? Watch out for another scam...this time from a lawyer firm.