USPS / carrier refused to to take outgoing mail

Houston, TX, US Review updated:
Phone: 7134178119

I was driving to the mailbox because I had an envelope that was too thick to fit on our outgoing slot on our bank of mailboxes when I saw a woman Mail Carrier delivering mail to a mailbox at another building. I asked if she would take my envelopes and she refused saying, "No. I'm done for the day." I asked if she wasn't going back to the Post Office barn to drop off her truck and she said, "There is another truck that comes around and picks up the mail during the day. You need to put it in the mailbox." I said, "I thought you could save me an 8 mile round trip to the mailbox." She said there was a mailbox right up on the corner and I informed her that it has been gone since February when they removed it. She said, "Well, I can't take it because I am done for the day." My reply was, "Well, there is a first time for everything." I will tell she was at the mailbox for the bank of town houses including 2105 Greenbriar Colony Dr. 77032. It was 08/25/09 around 6:15 PM. I hand oversized, but not overweight, packages to the mail carriers in my neighborhood all the time since they removed the big blue collection box 6 months ago. I use the outgoing mail slots regularly for the envelopes that will fit, but sometimes I have to mail something that is too thick to fit in the 1/2" wide hole, and the carriers have never refused me until today. Is this part of your decreased service to save money? I really need to know because I am required to send samples on an almost daily basis as part of my business. If they are not going to pick up the outgoing mail they should block off the slots or remove them. IF my packages don’t get picked up I will lose money, too. Our company uses the US MAIL 99% of the time for sending packages, regular, Priority and Express, and I would hate to have to switch to FedEx or UPS. Please let me know if it was just that one woman being snippy, or if it is anew practice of the USPS to not collect outgoing mail. I get different mail carriers in this neighborhood every few months and she is the 4th one I have seen since February. I think she needs some more training if nothing else, if she was mistaken about the policy of collecting outgoing mail. I am 54 years old and the carriers have always taken the outgoing mail with them when they were delivering on their routes. Sherrye Fuentes, 2136 Hazlitt Dr, Houston, TX [protected], [protected]@comcast.net [protected]

Comments

• Fa
      Oct 28, 2009

Unfortunately, if you can't fit the envelope in the outgoing slot, they don't have to take it. They can refuse for oversize/overweight envelopes, or if they don't have room in their truck...etc. You probably caught her at a bad day, but in any case, she is in the right. They don't have to pick it up unless it's in the box, easily accessible, with the red flag up, or it's in a cluster box on the curbside.

• Wa
      Dec 16, 2010

Postal workers are notorious for and have been witnessed on countless occasions sitting in an empty parking lot, drinking coffee, waiting out their time clock and being paid taxpayer money to basically pass gas in the truck. This explains much. My postal carrier at my current address is mentally disabled, for instance. Complain, however, and you will be scolded by the postmaster and your mail will be even more difficult to obtain.