USB Organization / baiting phone calls

1 SC, United States Review updated:
Phone: 803-957-5715

Company calls businesses and asks baited questions of person answering the phone. When bill shows up on local phone bill and we questioned it, our secretary said she did not authorize this. When we called USB Organization they claimed they had authorization from our secretary on tape. We asked for them to play it and it is clearly a baited conservation.

More USB Organization Complaints & Reviews

Comments

• Ab
      20th of Feb, 2009

I received a letter from USB indicating that my "High-Speed Dial-up Internet Access Account and [my]Web Site" were already active and that I would be billed "starting approximately Mar 18 2009 9:47PM".

I did not ask for an account, nor was I contacted in advance about establishing an account. Had I assumed that the letter was simply an ad, I might have tossed it without opening the envelope.

This is clearly a scam. I phoned the company immediately, cancelling the "account" and informed the receptionist that I was reporting the "solicitation" as a scam.

• Wf
      15th of May, 2009

I to was scammed by these people. They called and asked the receptionist to verify some info about our website which she did and the next thing I know we were being charged for our new website that they built for us that We had no use for whatsoever. It had been going on for 7 months when I caught it. The person that call was speaking with an Indian (from India) not American and you could not understand much of what he was saying. Clearly a baiting conversation. Item was being billed on our phone bill and was not noticed.

• Wi
      2nd of Feb, 2010

Our company also was scammed...in fact this phone bill has charges like this from a dozen different outfits doing the same thing. Since our hospital's phone bill is about four inches thick, it's easy to see how this can happen but it is a horrible practice and I can't believe that "someone" isn't closing these folks down. Don't know who "someone" is, though.

• Se
      17th of Feb, 2010

I am on a national no-call list, however I keep getting calls from India for "... fill in the blank... yellow pages/ free online listing". After 2 years of monthly and weekly calls, repeated assurance that my name would be taken off the call list, and hang ups when I asked to many questions, I finally was passed to a supervisor. I demanded to know the parent company name and address. They refused to give a city name or physical address. The supervisor did tell me the name of the parent company was USB Organization. When I was to be transferred to his supervisor, the call was disconnected... big surprise.

I'm going to contact my state attorney general and see if they can do anything or give direction on my next step.

• Wh
      2nd of Apr, 2010

I just received my phone bill and I was scammed too. Like other posters, I was harrassed by these people constantly calling, despite our numbers on the do-not-call list. I told the cust. srvc rep I spoke with I never authorized any of this and I never received anything in the mail. I was completely unaware of any web site. If I check the website, its not there. I canceled the account, immediately checked the website and nothing... I called back and the rep told me as soon as they cancel the account, the website is canceled. I'm not a techie, but that sounds fishy to me.

I am reporting this company to someone and also checking with the phone company to see if they have a way of not adding anything to our services unless they contact us first. If I remember correctly, the last business I worked for did that after being scammed for months by another company.

• Ga
      2nd of Apr, 2010

I never even talked to anyone (I always hang up on the telemarketers) and it still showed up on my phone bill. Cant get through on there "customer service" but was able to contact my phone co. AT&T and they took it off my bill for me. What a scam. Have no idea what they were charging me for but I dont even have an actual land line.

• Sc
      19th of Apr, 2010

04/19/2010 11:02 a.m.
    Our business just received a notice from USB Organization, Inc. stating that our High-Speed Dial-up internet access account and website had been set up and is active. Website: www.myusbo.com. "Should we wish to cancel [y]our account at any time, call (800)765-7906..."
    I called the number and was given 3 options. I had first requested information and was put on hold. I hung up, called again and asked for sales and was put on hold again. Third time, I called and pressed "0" for operator. I was put on hold for about 3-4 minutes and a girl picks up asking for the verification of the number I was calling from. I gave her my information, then she asked for my name..after listening to some random typing in the background with complete silence from the girl, I asked.."Hello?" She replied, "yes?". I asked if that was it for the cancellation and she nonchalantly replied "yes." That was the end of the phone call.
    The source was from the never-ending phone calls that came in about 5-10 times a week from some Indian guy asking for verification of our business information. They assured me the phone calls would stop once the information had been verified and I answered a series of questions with a "Yes" or a "No" answer.
    I'll keep posted on whether our phone bill gets charged or not.

• Ih
      27th of Apr, 2010

These type of scammers simply want a name and a "yes" to any answer. They will use baited questions to get the "yes". If your company name is ABC they might say "Is this ABC company" to which you would answer "yes". They will ask your name. They record this and when you despute their bill, they will play the recording with the person saying their name and yes to accept their service or charges.

I called the FTC and they said they do not act on behalf of individuals or businesses. They monitor and look for patterns. I was told that if they receive enough complaints about a company, they will investigate.

If you receive calls from this or any other company using this type of scam, call the FTC at 1-877-382-4357 and report it. If enough of us do, maybe they will stop them.

We receive several phone calls a week, sometimes in the same day from these people. The only information I have ever been able to get from them was the name USB Organization. When I google it I find only complaints, no contact info.

Document everything from date and time of calls to any letters received. The scammers will not give you any reliable contact information. Thanks to ScammedinLB209 who posted USB Organizations phone number above, I was able to document who called.

• Ri
      27th of Aug, 2010

I was just contacted here, and thankfully hung up on the people midway through. Though I had already gone through the conversation, "verifying information" as I went.

I called the number provided above by ScammedinLB209, and like IHateTelemarketing got a phone menu of three options. I chose 1, Sales, and was put through to Diana.

Assuming that name is correct, it was clear she is working out of her home. It is a common thing to patch phone calls through to people in their homes where they handle these questions. That is where much of today's custimer service reps condut their business. She was flusterd by many of my questions, and tripped all over her words trying to answer them.

When I asked just what services they provide, she said they set up websites and numbers for companies to use.
    When asked where te business was located, she said her "call center" was out of California. I pressed further, and she saud the headquater location (which she had to look up) was in REno, NV. I asked if their invoicing was done by separate bill form the copmany directly, or attached to another bill. Her response was they have a contract with the phone service providers that allow third party copmanies to attach their own charges for services.

This, in my opinion, makes the phone companies just as liable and in fact, culpable, for these types of erroneous charges. Perhaps what needs to be done is to try and take both of them to task.

• Fr
      5th of Nov, 2010

The call starts with "We have a record for verification and accuracy..." and then collects business info including phone #, billing address, and owner's name. At the end a the guy's Indian accent goes off the chart and he starts talking like an auctioneer. USB ORGANIZATION INC IS A SCAM. I don't believe they provide any service at all. I certainly never received a welcome package. But the bill they stick onto your phone bill unless you notice it. At a big company it may float a while. I spoke to "Anna" who let me listen to a recording of a doctor in our office answering what she thought were a phone company rep's questions and then her leaving the phone and coming back to it to say " yeah I understand what you said." They stole $509.12 in that time.

• Fr
      30th of Dec, 2010

This showed up on our phone bill, and when I called, was told that I "accepted a free trial, and never called to cancel." And what did I accept? A Search Engine Optimization Program. Which is a lot of hooey, since we don't even /have/ a website to get optimized for the search engines. I asked that it be cancelled, and I had to press them for a confirmation number for the cancellation.

• Te
      17th of Jun, 2011

As the telecom specialist for a large real estate company, I see over 150 phone bills every month, and see charges like these all the time. The best way to handle them is to call the number and ask who signed up for the charges. If they give you a name, just say that you don't know who that is or the person left the company a while ago. MAKE SURE you ask to (1) have the service cancelled AND (2) be issued a credit for the fraudulent charges. I get the credits about 95% of the time, probably because I'm fairly polite to them and feign stupid.
    The other thing they've tried is saying that they have Suzy Receptionist on recording. DEMAND to hear the recording, and if you can, record it on your end. If they don't have the FULL recording, including their agent and his spiel, tell them that the recording is incomplete and it was fraudulently setup. You can also claim that the person doesn't work there, which has worked in the past for me, though less often. Most of the time they tell you that it will take some time to get the recording (meaning they don't have it) or they'll play only a 10 second snipped of someone agreeing.
    As far as someone "stopping" them, unfortunately what they're doing is legal, per some old communications laws in California (and other states) which allow for legitimate collect calls to be charged to your account. All they need is a hint of agreement and they will start charging you. Another thing you can do to protect yourself is to block third-party billing on your phone bills (which will also prevent collect calls if your company doesn't allow them, which ours doesn't). If you look at the front page of your AT&T bills, it will list a summary of charges on the first page, which will show service costs, usage costs, taxes, and will also list these other charges, which will be in detail on the last page of your bill. You really have to check your bills monthly to prevent this unfortunately.

• Tr
      27th of Jun, 2011

We got a similar call. I asked David and Greg (of course common Indian names) who they were and they tried not to answer. I immediately found this page online and started became extra cautious. I just called the FTC at 877/382-4357 and complained. It didn't sound like they had enough complaints to go after them but they definitely will look into it. If you get get a call and suspect anything (or see charges later) please do call and complain. It took me no more than 5 minutes to complete the process.

• Bi
      6th of Sep, 2011

I was also scammed by this company. billview.com com handles their billing but it appears on my AT&T home phone bill. They played back a tape of me agreeing to a "free" listing of my business in some "yellow pages", but the guy in India rapidly reading the script makes it sound like I was agreeing to a web optimizing service. I do recall hanging up on him two months ago, but I never agreed to such a service nor would I unless I sought them out myself. They are committing willful fraud and should do hard time.

• Bi
      6th of Sep, 2011

I called AT&T and was informed that the federal government requires them to accept third billing for other communication companies. This was done for smaller legitimate communication companies to compete with AT&T. But USB Organization is a complete fraud. The BBB gives then an F rating. Their website is http://www.myusbo.com.
    800-765-7906 1750 Montgomery Street, San Francisco, CA 94111
    I would not E-mail them for fear of being spammed.
    At AT&T suggestion I called them back to find out the amount of the credit and USB Organization denied that I had previously asked for a credit, which is another of their lies. Now they said they will give me a credit. I will peruse them.

Please call your US senators to stop this blatant fraud.

• Ha
      25th of Nov, 2011

The USB Org Inc company made fraudulent charges to my phone bill. They called my business many times everyday for weeks during July 2011– I asked them to stop calling. I told them I definitely did not want any thing they were selling. In September 2011 charges from them show up on my phone bill. I called them and they insisted I agreed to their service ( which I still have no idea of what it is ) they played me a taped phone message of my voice saying yes about 10 times to a voice with so thick an accent you can not understand what is being said. Finally they said they would cancel and I would be credited in “ 2 to 3 billing cycles” and gave me a confirmation number. This has not happened – my phone company referred me to a collection agency because of them – (I had changed carriers just before they started charging me 31.90 per month or I probably would not have noticed.) I see they have complaints for this exact same issue from many people. I have reported them to every agency I could find. - I hope SOMEONE will stop them.