USA Scholarhip Services / SCAM!!!!

I got a letter in the mail from USA Scholariship Services, Scholarship Program for Biology Students 1629 K Street, NW Suite 300 Washington, DC 20006. [protected] Fax [protected]. I recieved the letter on November 25, 2008. It reads:
Congratulations,
You have been selected by the USA Scholarship Services to receive this offer to apply for 2008/ 2009 Biology scholarship program. These scholarships are designed for students majoring in Biology at any college or university.
Applicants for the 2008/ 2009 academic year may receive up to $7500 from the scholarship programs in our files. The amount of award will depend on the awarding agency. By completing the enclosed application, USA Scholarship Services will match your application with the scholarship program that best corresponds to your educational needs. You must contact the awarding agency and provide any additional information that may be requested.
Every year, USA provides assistance to about 250 Biology students. In 2008, about 300 students are expected to benefit from the scholarship programs. We are proud of our commitment to the promotion of Biology studies in America. As a 2008/ 2009 recipient, you must complete the enclosed application and return it to our office on or before the date indicated (which was December 19, 2008).
There is a $27.00 processing fee on all 2008/ 2009 applications. This fee is necessary to cover the cost of processing the applications we expect to recieve. However, students who fail to qualify for at least $1000 in scholarships may be entitled to a full refund of their application fee.
So complete the application, enclose a check or money order for $27.00 and mail it in the enclosed envelope on or before the date indicated. We wish you the best of luck in your Biology career.
Sincerelyyours,
Ike Onwo
Director of Scholarship Services

I sent them a money order and the paper that was also in the envelope a couple weeks ago. I have not recieved any information from them since then. I started to get suspicious and went online to look up the company to see if there was a way to track the information, and there is no webiste. I came across information that this company is a scam and also have "scholarship programs" for engineering and nursing. Other people had recieved photocopied scholarship applications that were expired. I have not recieved any information. I called the provided number on the letter [protected]) and spoke to a woman. I told her that I had sent in money and my information a couple weeks ago and that I had tried to look their company up on the internet and that the only information about the company said that it was a scam. When I asked her if the business was a scam she said that I would have to leave a message and be called back tomorrow because their business office was closed. So I asked her again if their company was a scam and she said that it was a legitimate company. I then asked her for a web address and she gave me a web address that does not exist. The address she gave me was www.scholarships.us. When I tried to go to this address it came up as scholarships.com, but not a website for the business. This company is a SCAM!

Comments

Dd
  22nd of Jan, 2009

thank you for a good peace I just received a letter like that but this time they will be no money order! looooosers sound nigerian its unfortunate these people are giving the country that already has bad reputation a worse one

Pa
  31st of Jan, 2009

Never send money to anyone.

Cm
  5th of Feb, 2009

I've received a letter in the mail today also for a scholarship, I knew it seemed funny!!!

Gm
  23rd of Apr, 2009

I got one that said "These scholarships are designed specifically for students majoring in Computer in any college or university." Computer what? Engineering? Science? Also, there is no webpage on the letter. No way to trully contact them. It does say they take check or money order. This looks and reads like a total scam! This is a SCAM!

Mo
  16th of May, 2009

YUP YUP!! I know it is ridiculous thing BUT how come until now NO ONE has stopped them from doing this ###?

Bi
  16th of May, 2009

Any time someone asks for money for scholarships it is a scam. The same is true for "services" to provide college guidance for your high school student or to "help" in filling out the FAFSA forms. Throw away any solicitation that asks for money for scholarships! It's a variant of the Nigerian 419 scam.

Ok
  30th of May, 2009

yeh i got one billion from uncle sam and am ford and citbank and all scam so leave ike alone and go afta madoff

Ch
  20th of Jul, 2009

I am very thankful of these insights. I received the same exact letter except mine was addressing Engineering. I was going to send the money and not think twice about it. Good think I googled the company to look for an e-mail address!

Me
  21st of Jul, 2009

Scholarships are from legit companies giving money to the future (yes, I know it all just a tax write off, but if good comes from it, then its a good thing). A company asking for money to get you money should throw up a few thousand red flags. All people have to do is think before acting. I too just received one of these letters, but mine was for Somputers (can you get much more vague than that...its not like we see computers in everything everyday!). Think...people asking for $27.00 to get you money are only looking to take your money. But hell, if you want to throw more money at someone who will do nothing for you...I will gladly accept!

Si
  23rd of Aug, 2009

I also received the letter for a "Computer Scholarship". I'm not sure why, but I thought I would look it up online and am glad I did. I was also a little erked by the fact that there was no website listed. I will look into what action I can take to shut these people down. Thanks for your input guys.

Rl
  17th of Sep, 2009

Thank goodness for the internet! I received the same letter today from USA Scholarship Services addressed to my daughter who is in nursing school. As soon as I read where it said "Make pmts. to USA", I thought it was weird. And then signed by a foreign name...Ike Onwo???Scammers!!! Somebody needs to stop them, they have probably made millions by charging $27.00 at a time!

Nw
  22nd of Sep, 2009

i just received a letter with those exact words, except the date was changed form 2008/2009 to 2009/2010. and i thought it was too good to be true, thank god for the internet and gut feelings.

Bi
  22nd of Sep, 2009

I received the same letter for biology students for the 2009/2010 school year. Reply was due by Oct 12, 2009. Thank you for taking the time to post. A lot of businesses require a processing fee, so the $27 didn't seem out of line. I'm glad I decided to check them out first and I appreciate everyone's help in identifying this scam.

Jk
  9th of Oct, 2009

I also received the same letter for Nursing, but also recieved a call tonight from them at 9:30, wanting me to pay down $100.00 at a western union to verify that I am who I say, and show a picture ID. I said I don't think so, and hung up, he called back 2 more times, and my husband had to get hateful with him, and he hung up. SCAM, big time!!!

Jo
  19th of Oct, 2009

my name is mark moses.i came across this article and found it hard to believe, because i am one of 1200 students selected to receive one of the scholarships i applied for through using usa scholarship services.the scholarship is sam walton community scholarship funded by the wal-mart foundation.i completely believed that usa scholarship services is trusted and that their service is not a scam.

Tc
  9th of Nov, 2009

I RECEIVED ONE TOO FOR 09/10 BUT THE 27$ IS WHAT THREW ME OFF FROM THE BEGINNING BUT IT TRULY IS A SCAM I DID RESEARCHING OF MY OWN AS WELL! i THINK ANYTHING ASKING YOU TO SEND IN MONEY FIRST SHOULD BE LOOKED INTO!!! I WISH THEY WOULD DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS SOON B/C IT IS GIVING PPL FALSE HOPES TOWARDS EDUCATION AND EVEN CRUSHING SOMEONE'S DREAM TO ATTEND COLLEGE!!!

An
  1st of Dec, 2009

I just received this letter in the mail and I am glad I found this site! Sounded like a scam so I decided to check...This is completely rediculous that they are trying to take money from college students that really need it!

Lg
  11th of Dec, 2009

As usual, if it sounds too good to be true, it is! We just received one for engineering in Dec. 2009. Thanks so much for your posting. I knew it sounded funny. Sending money for a "free scholarship". These people should be jailed for life! I might just waste a stamp to send something really nasty back to them!

Th
  12th of Dec, 2009

It is really ridiculous that these Africans scam all American citizens with this junk..When I see Nigerians I view them as bandits..I am a Black American my self...

Da
  14th of Dec, 2009

WOW good thing i read this! just got the same letter in the mail...not falling for it at all!