USA Auto Rental and Leasing LLC / Charges appearing on my credit card

1 3251 SW 1 TerrFort Lauderdale, FL, United States Review updated:
Phone: 954-581-1880

I made a reservation online with this company through carrentalexpress.com. When I arrived I phoned the office as specified in the reservation email. I waited over an hour in the hot sun at the Fort Lauderdale airport phoning twice during this period only to be told " just wait someone will be there soon". Finally the drive arrives and as we were getting in the van when a police officer comes up and starts asking the van driver for certain documents. He then tells the driver in front of us that this company may not collect client from the airport and the driver was getting a court notice for trying to do so. The police office then told us that USA Auto Rental and Leasing was not licensed to collect customers from the airport and we would have to take a taxi to their offices if we chose to rent with them. After this there was no way we were going to rent with these people. We did try to cancel with USA Auto Rental but when we called their local number and told the lady who answered she said we would need to pay for a one days rental because we were cancelling too late. Her English was very poor and when we tried to get her name for a follow-up conversation she just said its "lady" and hung-up on us. We tried to call back twice after this and both time the number was busy.

We rented at the airport and did pay a little more. Our car was clean, new and the service was very quick and friendly. No surprises, so I guess the old adage "you get what you pay for" is true.

Two weeks after we got home we were examining our American Express statement and discovered a charge for almost $267 from USA Auto Rental and Leasing. I tried to call them to speak with a manager and was told that there is no manager and the owner was the only person who could help me. I asked for the owner and was then told that he NEVER comes into the office but I could leave a message. I did just that and waited over a week but he never called. I gave him my cel number which displays all calls, received, missed and has an answering machine. Nothing. I called again and was told he was not in and they would take a message. At this point I have a dispute ongoing with American Express. I now feel that I am the victim of a SCAM!!

Comments

• Bl
      30th of Apr, 2009

I had exactly the same experience with them! I booked through the same website and verbally confirmed the reservation twice over the phone. I waited 3 hours for them to come and pick me up and they just kept saying they would be there in 5 minutes, finally they just kept hanging up on me and then had the nerve to charge my credit card! They cost me over $500 including the last minute fees I had to pay through another caer rental agency. They are scammers!!

• Te
      23rd of Jun, 2009

I was going to rent from this company and they wanted to charge me 200$ a day for insurance which is crazy i rented from other places before and was never charged this. The woman at the desk told me that I would not be charged anything and I was charged more than what the rental was. BUYER BEWARE THEY ARE SCAM ARTIST!!!