US Passport / Delay of US passport

Can we take legal actions against the us department of transportation? Applied for passport in march, paid for expedite and overnight delivery services... Still no passport! Traveling in 7 days for honeymoon! I finally reached a call center representative by the name of dawn in the new Hampshire office. She stated that our trip would not be reimbursed, as it's not they're problem! They can only pay the money that we spent on the passport services! I feel that this is false advertisement! She stated that the agencies are short staffed! Well that's not my problem! Did the government not know this when changing all of the policies??? They're just trying to get over and the government find another way to get extra money, i guess to fund the war!

Ae

Comments

Ke
  12th of May, 2007

I'm in the same board. I have tried many times 1877 phone and talk to representative. Those representatives always told me to wait the next couple days. Right now, it's still no any results. Maybe I have to change my traveling schedule.

Ju
  20th of May, 2007

I am having the same problem and am extremely frustrated. I applied for mine and my sons passport on March third. I am scheduled to leave for the airport on Thursday. Today is Sunday and we still dont have it. I have called every day and keep being told they are working on it and it is not being held up for anything, it is just processing. The info on the web site and the recordings state you should receive your passport in 10 weeks. It has been longer than 10 weeks for us. It was very difficult to even book this trip since I am a single parent and do not have $$ to throw away. I have never been able to take my son on a vacation when he was young so I tried really hard to take him before he turns 18 (he is 15). It infuriates me that I will be out all that money for something that is not my fault. I also would like to take legal action if possible so if anyone knows how I go about it please let me know. Good luck to everyone still caught up in this ridiculous red tape.

Pe
  22nd of May, 2007

I just went through the emergency passport process in Houston and it is pandemonium. There are hardly any instructions given to anyone and the security is too busy answering questions that they give their patterned answers to (i don't know), so they aren't watching who is cutting in line which causes the most amount of chaos.

So the emergency passports can have a turn around of 24 hours or so, but the regularly applied for passports are taking 12+ weeks? H-I-R-E P-E-O-P-L-E!

The regional offices wouldn't be inundated with hundreds of people if the national offices would just do their jobs and/or hire some more people to do the work.

Ru
  22nd of May, 2007

We applied March 07, 2007 for passport renewals. Our plane departs in 12 hours, and still no passport. Frustrating does not even begin to describe the situation and this agency.

I have made eight calls over the last two-weeks, and several unanswered emails. At first, passport agency employees assured that our passports would arrive before our departure. Today, 12 hours before our flight, employees are saying that we will have to reschedule costly international flights and domestic flights within Peru. Actually, they say very little and accountable for nothing. I also inquired about a compensation policy to reimburse for additional charges that would incur. Of course, there is no recourse.

Many people online have suggested emailing their congressional representative. No reply as of yet from my congressman. I find it hard to believe that a passport renewal can take so long. I have traveled internationally-extensively-since 1987. There should be little question of who I am.

I have been checking the Internet for other travelers who are in the same situation. I am not the only one. Good luck to people who need their passports soon.

Va
  22nd of May, 2007

I am beyond livid!! My boyfriend applied, payed the extra money and was told two weeks, we are now in week FIVE and still no passport. We finally got a hold of our congressman's office and now we can pick is up in Houston-- a mere THREE HOUR DRIVE or wait until Thursday - which is two days after we were supposed to leave. Now I not only get the privilege of making a 6 hour round trip drive, I can now pay an extra grand to start my vacation a day late. On unrelated note-- never-- ever use travelocity. I've been trying to make this change for a three hours, I am sure that it would go faster, but I don't speak Hindu.

Va
  23rd of May, 2007

I am all for forming a class action lawsuit. Check out my complaint and we can both do this. I figure that if we can get at least 10,000 people, the us passport office will have to do something.

24th of May, 2007

I'm so LIVID right now! I mailed out all my information in PLENTY of time. So now here I am in the final hour, I leave tomorrow STILL no passport. I did the whole call 14 days in advance, I sat on hold everyday for 14 days from anywhere between 45 minutes to 90 minutes. Every time I talked to someone they would say "Oh they're doing it today, it will be at your house in 2 days" Well that was two weeks ago. I had to take 3 days off of work to drive into Boston to sit in line and hear the same thing over and over again. The best part is every single one of them LIED to me. They all said, once it's done we will Fed Ex it OVERNIGHT to you. I heard that from at least 6 people!! So last night I finally called and they said it shipped, REGULAR MAIL!!! So I'm completely screwed. I'm supposed to leave tomorrow morning (5/25). So today I need to try and figure out what I'm going to do now, but I will say - The Government should be held responsible for the money thats going to be lost here! I can't get refunded, it's minimum of $200pp to change the ticket never mind what I'll loose in hotel costs!! I am just beside myself I can't even think straight.

El
  24th of May, 2007

My advice to any of you that still have time is go to the nearest passport office and get there early. I leave for the Bahamas today and made the 14 hour round trip drive to New Orleans yesterday to get my kids' passports. The applications were put in 12 weeks ago and I've been told everyday for the past two weeks they would be here in time and they would be FedExed - yes, after holding for 60-90 minutes each time and getting cut off several times.

I live in Houston, but have heard that the office is much more congested and I was less likely to get it done same day. I was in the New Orleans office by 6 a.m. (I was 4th in line) and by 8 a.m. - when they opened - there were already well over 100 people in line. I brought additional copies of EVERYTHING I needed - birth certificates, pictures, applications. I had my children's passports by 12 noon that day. They say you need an appointment, but it only gives you a minimum advantage over those that just show up.

Jp
  24th of May, 2007

My girlfriend is in the same boat that many of you have been. I will spare the details, as they are similar to many of the posts here, needless to say she needs to get her passport ASAP in order to get a visa, which is another lengthy process. In the event she doesn't get her passport, she will owe her university $6,000 as well as have her diploma revoked.

The most frustrating thing about this situation is that there's no way at present that anyone in the entire passport bureaucracy can be held accountable for their inaction and deceit - this is what they hide behind and this is why nobody in the system really cares.

A class action lawsuit is in order. Nothing will change otherwise. The congresspeople don't really seem to care much about the situation - not enough to push for change. I'm interested in organizing the law suit in question or being a part of it. Please contact me with the pertinent details.

Cl
  25th of May, 2007

I am very uneasy right now with the same situation. We have sent applications for our passports (3 first time and one for renovation) back in march 7th or so. Still no passports! We are supposed to leave on June 4th to the Dominican Republic. I live in Utah, and I haven't seen my family in 8 years, we are taking our children so my father and the family can get to know then for the first time. There is so much involved in this trip, beyond pleasure, it is a sentimental trip. Our tickets are not refundable,and so much will be lost, THOUSANDS of dollars! imagine the cost of a trip like that for a family of 4! (including the passports prices themselves. )

I get up at 5 in the morning so I can get a chance to get through the busy phone lines there, and I feel as if they are hiding something. I feel there's something they don't say. I've been told by them that they are expediting our passports and doing everything possible, but I still feel they are not saying ALL they know. They keep asking me to call back in a few days to "Check" again. If they mess up our trip, there will be war ,because we'll move heaven and earth until they refund every penny! the damages will be emotional as well as financial. So many years waiting for this opportunity, dreaming for the day we could afford such a vacation...now everything paid for CASH means we'll lose all our savings and all our hopes!

Cr
  26th of May, 2007

I put my expedited application in on April 23 and was assured I would see the passport within two weeks, or four weeks at the very most. I am one of five Americans who were accepted to an astrophysics graduate student summer school in Portugal. My flight was supposed to leave today, but after spending a whole week on the phone with the passport agency and being assured it was being actively worked on and would arrive before my departure, it still has not arrived. In addition, the passport customer service representatives have not been recording our conversations, and now the passport is being mailed to the wrong address. Now, my flights have had to be put on hold, and all of the fees (as well as the expedited passport service!) are draining my pocketbook. Because of the passport agency, I will not be able to attend the summer school, and my reserved spot is going to waste. I can not even express my disgust.

Me
  26th of May, 2007

OMG!!! I was so furious with the passport agency... Its like dealing with the DMV, however I'm starting to like the DMV more.

We did ours in Feb 2007 which gave them plenty of time to process it.So I waited a week to call since I knew they were swamped.I kept on checking the status online and it finally said that it was being shipped Priority Mail 2-3 days.

So no worries, after the 3 days I'm getting kind of nervous and starting to panic. Several phone calls to passport agency ,Don't worry its already shipped. there claiming USPS has it, I called USPS they have no idea where the passport is.So called Passport agency again there claiming that they gave it to USPS, Usps is claiming they were electronically notified, but doesn't mean they have it in their hands yet... The Passport agency told us they were going to overnight it after screaming and crying over the phone.

Now our flight was scheduled May 11th. It Never FREAKIN came. Called the congressman, they had someone in his office that dealt with passport issues. Said he can try to get me an emergency appointment in Los Angeles if needed. Hello, I'm calling you so I don't have to drive down there. Remember ur suppose to help me. He's definitely not getting my vote..

Needless to say I had to spend extra money to drive down from Vegas to LA to get my son's passport, and trust me driving with an 18 month old is not fun.(cost too much for last minute airline tickets)plus I had to get a hotel, gas, food. Oh and let me tell you, we got there at 7am and there must have been 150 people there already with the same issues. My son got his passport that day around 3pm.We didn't have to pay for it since they lost it, and being that we drove from Vegas the agent made an exception and said we didn't have to pick it up the next day... BULL HONKY I would have raised hell if she told me to pick it up tomorrow. Its not my fault that I did follow the guidelines and they didn't.The lines were horrible it was hot and I feel like all I've been doing is WAITING. WAITING IN LINE, WAITING ON THE PHONE!!IT TAKES HOURS JUST TO GET THROUGH TO THE PASSPORT AGENCY..AND WHEN I DID GET THRU I FELT LIKE I WAS TALKING TO AN 18 YR OLD..PROBABLY WAS!!!HE FELT NO REMORSE, NO APOLOGIES ALL HE COULD SAY WAS ITS NOT A GUARANTEE, OH AND HE WAS THE SENIOR CUST AGENT SINCE THEY DIDN'T HAVE ANY SUPERVISORS TO SPEAK TOO... IDIOT, ONE DAY YOU WILL KNOW WHAT ALL OF US HAD TO GO THRU... HELP GUYS, WHAT CAN I DO TO GET REIMBURSED.After we got back from our trip on May 18th there was a doortag on our door from FEDEX with the date 5-15-07. Ridiculous I'm telling you, if I didn't follow my husbands instincts and just drive to LA we would of missed our trip.They need to get there S*** together.P.s. everyone that we knew that filled out their passport applications after us, got theirs overnighted, one phone call, no problems for them. and we were the most persistent ones.We always called and followed up.BULL is all I can say... MAD MOTHER...

Jo

Folks,

The US Passport web site has wrong information!

The link, above, states that routine service takes 10-12 weeks to obtain your US Passport. We submitted our documents, through a post office, and have not received our passports in over 14 weeks.

If you call, you will not be serviced unless your travel date is within two weeks. If you call their 1-877-487-2778 number, the best you can is to talk to a person who states they will have your passport expedited. Guess what, two weeks is not enough time.

The agency is so back-logged that they can not keep up with their mandatory 2 week prior to travel request.

I know we have been told that it would take a while to get your passport. I accepted this fact however, they need to change their time because people may assume it is only 12 weeks, which it is NOT.

Bo
  29th of May, 2007

My son is supposed to leave for Greece tomorrow morning at 10:10 am. We still don't have his passport even though we applied in early March. It's the same story as above. I've talked to the passport agency as well as my congress representative numerous times and we still don't have confirmation that the passport will go out overnight. He worked a long time at minimum wage to earn the money for this high school trip and it makes me sick to think red tape will make it all go to waste. How hard is it to make a passport for a 16 year old citizen? I am definitely interested in any class action suit that happens.

Lo
  29th of May, 2007

We submitted the application for my kids passport on feb 14th. They are supposed to travel in 2 days, and we are still waiting!!! If we don't get them on time we will have to pay around 400.00 to the airlines for a different flight. It was expensive enough for the ticket's and we really can't afford the extra fees.

An
  30th of May, 2007

My mom applied for a passport about 2 weeks ago, but about a week ago we found out that my grandfather in Colombia is suffering from Leukemea and now his condition is just getting worse and worse. My mom is desperate and cannot wait 10 -12 weeks to receive her passport. The problem is that my mom just became a citizen and had to send her naturalization certificate in order to get a passport, now they tell us that without it she cannot get an emergency passport, and ordering a new certificate will take just as long as waiting for the passport.

We keep trying to get in touch with a representative so we can ask what we can do in this situation but all they say is that they are too busy to take our call. My mom is desperate and we have no clue on what to do.

If any of you have any type of information on what actions we can take, or any alternatives please, please let us know.

Sa
  31st of May, 2007

I am so freaked out, I am supposed to be leaving for England on June 4th, I have an appointment on June 1st at the Houston office. Does anyone know if I will get my passport that day? My other passport was stolen from a Federal park 2 weeks ago in San Francisco! I am so nervous. Does anyone know if I will get my passport at the appointment? I can not get through to any representative, and I tried to call the Houston office but there is no luck of an answer! I am a nervous wreck! Can anyone help me?

Ja
  31st of May, 2007

Does anyone know anything about this? About class actions in general? How does a class action go about being filed? How do we join or what would the costs be to start our own?

1st of Jun, 2007

I was searching for the address to complain about the passport office when i found this site. I have just had to cancel my 2 week trip to Europe because i did not receive my passport. Its been 4 months. i was told NOT to expedite, that i had plenty of time. 4 months later, no passport. there are no words to describe the lack of logic and competency that i have experienced while talking (or not talking) to the passport information office in the past 3 weeks. I was told it was in the mail 2 weeks ago, then in the mail, then in the mail, then it was being overnighted, i was even given the name of the carrier that would bring it, then yesterday 2 days before i hop on a plane, oopsy! Its not even done being made yet. WOW. I was given 2 options, wait and see if it randomly shows up hours before i am supposed to leave and risk losing 30k (cost of trip if i don't cancel and use insurance to reschedule), OR collect all passport materials (which would take a day probably, which makes it impossible right there) and drive 6 hours to houston (texas is a big state people) while calling the automated line to see if by chance someone cancels their appointment so i can try to get one made in person. There were no appointments, but hey, maybe someone will cancel on my way down there. Oh and they have no record of ever talking to me to tell me it was in the mail or that i even ever called at all. Or that i sat on hold for an hour and a half listening to one classical piece over and and over and then some service rep HANGS UP ON ME because butter fingers apparently cant answer a phone. So deep deep deeep breaths. I will be contacting everyone i can think of to complain. Why bother? Because if no one complains how can it ever be fixed?

Pe
  1st of Jun, 2007

Sent passport in March 3rd so that I would have it by June 6, the day I leave the country. Today is the 1st of June, still no passport and am fairly certain this condition will remain the same. Clearly, the passport agency knows they have a problem and it is such a problem that the best solution is to ignore it on all levels rather than admitting to an infuriated populous that the lack of competency and use of logic used in determining passport law and time tables is the reason they are losing the money invested in their trips-money that the government claims they have no responsibility to recompense to any and all for their travel woes.

Damn this country!