US Engines - Auburn, WA / Nothing but problems!

I purchased a new rebuilt motor for my 1988 toyota 4runner, from US ENGINES in Auburn,WA.

I paid $1450.00 for this new motor with such a great warranty. figured I could not go wrong..
8 years 80,000 mile warranty..

When the motor was installed, the motor just didnt sound right. sounded like the valves were really loose.. had my mechanic who installed the motor. **phams complete auto repair" in burien, WA.

I immediatly called US ENGINES, about this . they told me the motor should be adjusted at 12,000 miles **.10 on the valve adjustments, which was done.

Since the adjustment, the motor has made no difference in sound.. still sounds like its going to fall apart.
Also at 1,000 miles, the rear main seal was leaking oil.. the mechanic at Phams complete auto repair replaced the seal at NO CHARGE TO ME!!!

after the rear seal was replaced noticed oil still leaking. took it back to the mechanic, he said there was something wrong with the crank. that only made one size rear main oil seal..

we called US ENGINES, regarding this matter. they told me , that the mechanic must of not adjusted the valves correctly. and if i had to bring it to them, they would have to charge me for the valve adjustments.. NO matter if under 8 yr 80,000 mile warranty in effect.

also told John,at US ENGINES. which claims is the warranty speacialist..about the rear main seal, still leaking oil

he told me he didht have time to look at it, to wait one week, and bring it in. to let them look at it. after the fact they told PHAM. they wanted him to take out the transmission again. so they could send someone up there to look at it...

John at US ENGINES , also stated he would not be able to even look at my motor for atleast one week, told John at US ENGINES, I COULD bring it in on monday 10.23.06 . John said the shop wouldnt be open, then changed his mind and said , he couldnt look at it till the following friday 10.27.06

This motor has been nothing but problems, from the begining.

Da

Comments

• Us
      30th of Jan, 2007

This is a Toyota 22 re 4 cylinder. The engine has rocker noise because they are solid lifters that require adjustment. When this type of engine is old the valve seats ware causing the valve to become higher. The valve to rocker clearance is less and less clearance will also make less noise. So when a new engine is installed the rockers make more noise than the owner thinks is normal. We did tell the owner you can tighten the rockers past factory settings to reduce noise but this will cause early engine failure. Regardless of how much noise these rockers are making they are set by the installing repair shop in this case PHAMS auto. We do not set these rockers so it would not be covered under our warranty. The rear seal is also installed by Phams auto, again this is his warranty to cover not ours. We did come up and look at the rear seal it was installed wrong. Both of these problems are not ours. This person had no cause to complain we helped and helped. We did not have to come up and look at the rear seal because we did not install it but we did. The rocker noise was normal and was set correctly by Phams auto but we spent a lot of time with the owner on this and instead of thanks he file a false complaint.

• De
      18th of Jul, 2009

Sounds like US Engines is not backing their work. Really disappointing because I've considered using them since they are right by my house. I love how they are trying to say "certain" parts of a motor are not covered. What part of a motor "rebuild" would entail picking and choosing which components are repaired? To me, and I'm sure most rational people, a motor "rebuild" entails REBUILDING of the entire motor and then standing by that work. Shops that like to cite "design" as a means to excuse their short comings are ones to avoid. Sounds like US Engines is one of those shops.

• 4w
      30th of Dec, 2009

I had a 92 3.0 6 cylinder built and installed there. I didn't even get it home before the loose bolt in the water pump shreaded the serpentine belt. The adjusting bracket on the alternator was not attached to the engine. The tension pulley for the air conditioner was not bolted on. The fan shroud was only bolted on one side so it broke off. The transmission cooler was removed and not reinstalled. To top it all off the motor seized after 2, 000 miles. None of this was covered by their 8 year 80, 000 mile warranty. I took them to small claims court and won (they didn't bother to show). Two years later haven't seen a penny. Don't ever go there!!!

• Ho
      21st of Jan, 2011

USEngine said:
    "The engine has rocker noise because they are solid lifters that require adjustment. When this type of engine is old the valve seats ware causing the valve to become higher. The valve to rocker clearance is less and less clearance will also make less noise. So when a new engine is installed the rockers make more noise than the owner thinks is normal"

The above statement is absolutely false. If the worn valve seats had been replaced ( as they should have been, and as your advertising literature claims ) and re-machined to factory specifications the valve-to-rocker clearance would be as it was when the engine was new. ( Provided the rocker arms/rocker arm assembly were replaced with new parts- or did they try to re-use the old ones? )

This is typical of the sort of smoke-screen arguments that owner Michael P. ( Paul ) Crossan conjures up out of thin air in order to avoid honoring his warranty.
    As was noted by another poster, US Engine refuses to pay judgments awarded in small-claims cases. ( see also complaints.com )

23rd of Aug, 2011

I used to date John Crossan, who is Michael's brother. They rebuilt my engine while I was still dating him and the engine blew making the car undrivable. My brother-in-law used to work for them and said they are shady people. It's too bad. I know their business keeps getting worse and they are losing customers. I don't know if they are still in business. The last time I had contact with John Crossan is when he showed up at my door wasted drunk and beat the ### out of me. Stay away from those people.

• St
      23rd of Aug, 2011

Im glad you each took the time to list these statements. I am going to get two new marine engines but will look somewhere else to spend the $8000. Thanks for saving me the trouble of dealing with USEngine. Steve

23rd of Aug, 2011

Maybe you guys should start a class action lawsuit against them.