US Bank / visa gift card

Dublin, OH, United States Review updated:

My mother had purchased several gift cards for me. On the back of the card, apparently is a disclaimer that the bank can steal your money that you paid for to use as a gift card. Gift cards are just that - money to be given for a gift that you already gave the funds to the bank to buy and give a gift card to someone. Why would anyone have the right to deduct money from it.

Now we aren't using a bank and they got the money for the card when purchased... no account fees' no maintenance, just a card with the gift money on it.

So, the tiny and I mean tiny print on the back states that this bank states that they will take out money each month not used. so by the time you use it, there's nothing on the card. My mother paid for the card, and the bank kept it ALL - ( and remember when purchased it comes in side a cover so you can't even see the back)

so, actually consumers are simply purchasing VISA gift cards, and donating all money to a bank - no person will ever use it.

She purchases them and then hands to those of us, when she forgets a present. Gosh I'd hate to think what monies she's paid cards for - that no one has benefited from.

I think this type of Gift Card is fraudulent pure fraud

I try to call the number on the card - it's invalid
I try to contact anyone at US Bank, Nothing
I put in the gift card number - it's invalid.

How many people has this been done to? Please please help me.

I would like a response and would like this to stop so others do not get hurt.

US Bank

Ke
Jun 11, 2016

Comments

• Ke
      Jun 11, 2016

I don't know what you mean what is my attitude toward complaint.
    My attitude about my complain? someone is using gift cards to take money from people just trying to give gifts. The cards have already been paid for.. and are to be used as gifts. when someone tries to use them and the bank listed on the back - us bank takes all the money off the card.. do you think that's fair? my mom has purchased a lot of these cards, and thinks the gifts she is giving someone is legit. The cards have no money on them so my mother is just paying for a gift card and then when someone tries to use the "gift" - there is nothing there. I believe that us bank needs to put all the gift money back on the card. that is the only legitimate and legal way to proceed. Those are gift cards, not bank cards subject to bank terms? help me please

• Co
      Jun 11, 2016

The laws covering gift cards are state specific. In my state gift card are redeemable at face value for seven years. In Ohio For single-merchant gift cards or affiliated-merchant gift cards, sellers cannot impose fees for two years.
    For prepaid network-branded gift cards, which are redeemable at any merchant who accepts the brand, fees can be administered once a month after a 12-month period of inactivity. In other words, sellers do not have to wait two years as they do with single-brand gift cards. This is because Ohio law, which prohibits fees for the first two years, does not apply to mall cards, bank-branded gift cards, or credit-branded gift cards.

You might want to contact your state senator and complain. If enough people complain they will change the law.

•   Jun 12, 2016

The bank does not take any maintenance fees until at least 30 days after purchase. This information is listed on the packet when you buy it, and the print is not that small at all. Every, I mean every single bank backed gift card works exactly the same way. The only way to avoid fees is to buy a store use gift card.

•   Jun 12, 2016

This explains why bank issued gift cards have fees:

• Me
      Jan 19, 2017

SAME PROBLEM... MY US ACCOUNT IS STILL ACTIVE( ALL 5 OF THEM) NO CLOSED ACCOUNTS. BUT CARD IS SAYING INVALID. THIS WAS A GIFT FROM US BANK. CONS COME ALL SHAPES AND SIZES!!!