US Bank / overdraft charges

1 Spring Valley, CA, United States Review updated:

My Family and I am a new account holder in US Bank, for past month each of my family and I have been charged overdraft for at least twice. The bank system is so confusing that in one day your account shows positive balance and in matter of a day it shows negative balance. I am sure you are thinking that we are not managing our account correctly, but this is not the case, US Bank is a professional trained thief, they will live of the overdraft charges. This Bank is stealing your money without any mercy. Shame on us that we put our trust and money in the hands of this crooks. The US bank charge my 14 years old son account $120.00 overdraft fees for the negative account of $1.95.US bank customer service, including branch Manager, District Manager were no help. They told us we can not close the accounts at least for six months; if we do, we will be subject to pay early closing fee up to $250.00. US bank is sucks...US bank is surviving of the overdraft fees and Shame on all of us that we let this bank to take our hard working money and could nothing about it

Re

Comments

• Va
      13th of Jun, 2008

First I will say that I have had my account with US Bank for 1.5 years and never overdrew my account. I made my deposit on a Saturday. Us Bank lets you have $100.00 of your deposit for immediate use. I made 6 very small purchases totaling $60.00. These should have been paid. I made the mistake of paying my Comcast bill on Sunday (the bank didn't release the balance of my deposit until Tuesday) for $150.00... this WAS my mistake, however, when these hit the bank they paid Comcast first so that they could charge me $35.00 for each transaction. These charges totaled $245.00. My grandson and I live below poverty level... this lost is devastating for us. I called the bank and they would credit me back only $80.00. When I E-mailed the main office and they told me that it is their right to post largest to smallest and yet they claim that they are not doing it in the banks interest... MY B**T!!! If they were a moral business they would not do it that way. The proper way would be to post smallest to largest. I will be changing banks as soon as I get my next check. I urge everyone to avoid US Bank and transfer your accounts to another bank before this happens to you.

Also, that policy of holding the rest of the deposit until the next morning is bunk because that still doesn't give them time to find out if the check you deposited is good... that takes at least a week. There is absolutely NO reason for them to hold your money overnight.

• Ek
      12th of Aug, 2008

i agree with you. I know they do this stuff. The problem you have probably already discovered is that this is actually legal, meaning ALL the banks are going to do it. Think lobbyists and lots of money to turn things in their favor, which the "little guy" can't fight. By the way, the rule is generally to give you back 80 bucks with a phone call. But the branch managers can give it all back if they want to.

26th of Apr, 2009

MY HUSBAND AND I HAVE BEEN WITH US BANK FOR AT LEAST 40 YEARS. MY HUSBAND PASSED AWAY FOUR YEARS AGO. I HAVE KEPT ALOT OF MONEY INTO MY ACCOUNTS PRETTY GOOD SINCE HE PASSED. BUT RECENTLY I HAVE A PROBLEM WITH MY ACCOUNTS. I AM LIKE EVERYONE ELSE HAVE TOO MANY DEBTS. I HAVE TRIED NOT TO I SWITCHED JOBS 10 MONTHS AGO AND NOW GET PAID EVERY TWO WEEKS WHERE AS BEFORE EVERY WEEK. AND I AM AT FAULT BEING OVER DRAWN AND GETTING OVERDRAFT CHARGES. BUT RIGHT NOW I AM VERY OVER DRAWN BECAUSE OF THE CHARGES. I HAVE HAD OVER 2, 000.00 IN OVERDRAFT CHARGES SINCE THE FIRST OF THE YEAR. I AM SORRY HOW DO THEY EXPECT ME TO TRY TO KEEP MY HOME. SINCE I LOST MY HUSBAND I REALLY DO NOT WANT TO LOOSE MY HOME. AND AS SOON AS I CAN GET CLEARED UP I AM LEAVING THIS BANK. I HAVE ALOT OF MONEY THAT WILL BE COMING IN WITHIN THE NEXT SIX MONTHSAND IT WILL NOT BE GOING TO US BANK. PLEASE IS THERE ANYTHING THAT CAN BE DONE WITH THE CHARGES TO MY ACCOUNT. THANK YOU MS. M.

• Sh
      26th of Apr, 2009

First, I would call you bank and see if there is anything that they can do to help you with crediting you some of the fees back. Especially if you have been a customer for over 40 years. If you let them know your situation, they most likely can help with some credit or other products like a line of credit or a loan to get your account in a positive status. Second, I would stop using that account until everything gets cleared up. Most bank, if you let them know what's going on are likely to help you. So, I hope this helps. I just helped my parents with some overdraft issues as well and they gave credit back and also provided a small personal loan to get them back on track!

• Cl
      21st of May, 2009

I am currently a US Bank checking account holder; for now anyways. My current bank account with them is in a positive state according to their website. I guess not!! Their website currently shows that I have two pending overdraft fees for items that still have not posted to my account. What the bank does is hide this bit information from their new and existing customers as a way of making money. I knew that I may have gone negitive when a check cleared, which is why I set up a checking account advance - to prevent any overdraft fees. ~Here's the good part~ the way the bank makes it money is by having you click on the available balance to find out if you have the monies available. The "available balance" will also show your items that have not yet posted to your account. As of right now, one of those items still hasn't posted to my account. I have incurred $70 worth of OD Fees. Out of Five stars, I give them 0! As I pointed out to the CS rep when I spoke to them, I am using the tools that they have provided to me, check book register and the internet. Yet their lack of customer training is my punishment!

• To
      11th of Jul, 2009

On may 26 of this year my husand and I deposited 2 checks totaling 520.00 with a check was a us bank check, the teller on duty put it in the computer as a out of state check, when we realized the mistake we went back the same day, the bank manager sara, gave us something called a curisty credit of 400.00 until our check cleared, she was supposed to take it back off the next morning, so we went on as usual trusting our bank to do what their paid to do, thinking that she took this back off, 6 weeks later july 1st we get a overdraft notice for 225.00 that we didnt understand considering that we still had over 150.00 in our account, the bank manager that we trusted did not take the credit back until july 1st bouncing everything we had, not only did they take the 150.00, but they expected us to pay 385.00 in fees, that ### is a theif, that bank is a fraud and we are not paying this, if she had done her job and taken this credit off the next day as she should have this would not have happened, so BEWARE!!! DO NOT DO BUSINESS WITH THIS BANK, THEY ARE RUDE, MISLEADING PEOPLE

• Pa
      13th of Jul, 2010

If you kept a check register this wouldn't have happened. You were spending money you should have known would eventually be gone. Chalk it up to bad personal finance management.

• Os
      22nd of Dec, 2010

Regions Bank another thief :
    My Family and I am a small business in Florida with Regions Bank, for past week we have been charged overdraft fee of $490. The bank system is so confusing that in one day your account shows positive balance and in matter of a day it shows negative balance and they are very trick people. I am sure you are thinking that we are not managing our account correctly, but this is not the case, Regions Bank as become in a professional trained thief, they will live of the overdraft charges. This Bank is stealing your money without any mercy. Shame on us that we put our trust and money in the hands of this crooks. The Regions bank charge me $490.00 overdraft fees for the negative account with a positive balance of $527 Regions bank customer service, including branch Manager, District Manager were no help. They told us we can not close the accounts ; for them Monday night is Sunday after 12:00 Regions Bank is sucks...Regions Bank bank is surviving of the overdraft fees and Shame on all of us that we let this bank to take our hard working money and could nothing about it.
    Be alert !

• Bf
      14th of Feb, 2011

US Bank online banking customers beware...I was checking my account online and was surprised to see two overdraft charges, one for 10.00 and another for 33.00, especially when I had a positive balance in my account. So I transferred money from another account to cover these charges and for a future automatical withdrawal for a bill pay. The next thing that I get is another overdraft charge of 33.00, because the first overdraft charges created an overdraft in my account. I call US Bank and ask them why they are doing this when I had a positive balance. She initially told me that I had funds that were on hold which created an overdraft. Then, I told her that the funds in my account had been there for over a week (direct deposit from multiple sources) Then she told me to click on my balance. It popped open a new window that showed that a future charge would overdraft my account. I asked her, how can US Bank charge me for a charge that has not gone through yet?????? I told her that US Bank was double dipping and that I didn't believe that what they were doing was legal. She reversed all of the charges. I have had my US Bank account for 15 years. I told my husband that I think that US Bank has done this to me several times, but I never questioned it, I just paid it. Now...I am looking very closely at every charge. My long term plan is to move all of my accounts to a credit union or to a smaller bank.