Urban Active Fitness / Billed after two year membership canceled

I finished a two year gym membership with this company and signed papers ending my membership after the two years was up. After the contract had ended I was still being billed but it was not coming out of my bank account. I had moved and when I filed for change of address had received a bill from this company for back pay. When I called them, I was told I only canceled half of my membership; the tanning portion!!! When trying to resolve this situation with no luck, I was then told that before I can stop the monthly billings I must pay off the balance! I have been in contact with the Chambers of Commerce and the BBB about this situation! So much for being a loyal member for two years! It didnt pay off!

Gr

Comments

30th of Nov, 2009

I'm having a similar problem. I cx'd, with 30 days notice, after my 2 years were up, but was charged an additional month. I don't have a tanning portion so this sounds like bogus standard operating procedures to me.

I called my credit card company and disputed the charge so I will be reimbursed. I will also file complaints with BBB and KY Attorneys General. FYI, the State Attorneys General will investigate a business after it receives a number of complaints. So if you've had similar problems, write to them.

I have several concerns with the way UA does business.
    1) The contract, in very small writing, states that the two year contract actually continues beyond the two years and must be cancelled in writing with a one month's notice. That usually gets the company at least one additional month's fee.
    2) I was told at the time that I cancelled, that I actually owed a $10 cancellation fee ! Even though I went through the full 2-years. They showed me where it stated that fact - the last item on the back of the contract. Fortunately, my contract was old and did not have that item.
    3) How do you like the $45 service charge every time you add additional training sessions ?!

• Wa
      27th of Feb, 2010

i'm hispanic, and at the moment of contracting 2 years ago the lady who attended me spoke in spanish too... and she practically pushed me to sign up... after showing me the installations and make it interested... she assured me it was a month to month contract...and i trusted her and... I also signed for letting them take the money from my husband's bank account... (They wait 3 times until the date of payment was due... and they took the late fee money also...)
    They are not honest enough at the moment of contracting...
    Is somebody there with a similar complaint? thanks.

• Rl
      3rd of Aug, 2010

Don't try calling headquarters 877-824-3571 for cancelling your membership. I am on hold and no one answers. I will make three tries later for calling the cancell line and then the new membership line and see what the average time is. I had such a bad experience with the Hilliard OH location. They are very unfriendly when you try to cancell the membership. They also don't tell you the truth either. We are moving, but want out of the contract, they didn't tell us we can buy our way out, $250 or 15% which one is greater. We had to dig for the contract and read the whole thing to find that. They wanted us to transfer to the New Albany location, wich would have been a 16mi trip, they told us, and is within the 25mi radius and we can't cancell. I still need to look if this is in the contract. Do not get a membership there, the equipments don't get fixed, and they started charging extra for maintenance, which again is not in the contract. There should be a clause that if they change something on the contract, we should be able to cancell the contract.

• Mi
      24th of Dec, 2010

I am also one poor customer of urban avtive fitness club. I have been told from marketing person of Urban Active, that you are on Month to Month Membership, so you can cancel your membership any time and we will not charge you anything. Then while joining for fitness trainer programm, the marketting person told me that if you dont feel it worthy, you can cancel trainer programm any time, you will not be charged for that. Now after one month when I told Urban Active people that I want to cancell the training programm and dont charge me from next month onwords, they said that you have to Buyout the programm and it will cost me $250 to cancel to memebership as I have enrolled for one year membership. But I have never been informed about that. When I asked them that I have enrolled for month to month membership, then they said NO, we have your signed contract and it show that have signed the one year agreement. But i never signed it. So i told them that i never signed it, then they printed out one agreement which show my sign on it. After looking at that agreement I come to know that that sign they took on Digital Pad and I never signed it on paper and they never showed me that contract. But when I told them that I signed only one month contract, that time they took print out and then showed me that contract, till then they never gave it to me. Even while signing that contract on Digital Pad they showed me only joining fee and One month fee on the screen and the 1 year fee which is on the print out, they never shoed me before on that computer screen. So Like that Urban Active cheating their customer. Urban Active is a BIG SCAM. They should be banned, because they are not at all transperent. They cheat their cutomer. I would like to let the people know that never join Urban Active fitness club. And never ever take the membership of fitness trainer. You will be in big trouble if you take trainer membership.

I would also like to get help from some one who know how to get money back from Urban Active Fitness club and Terminate membership.

You can call me on 513-442-1243 if you want to help me. If i dont pickup call please leave voice mail.

~ Mitesh Patel.

• Ct
      20th of Jan, 2011

I ALSO HAD A MONTH TO MONTH CONTRACT, THINKING IT CANCELLED ITSELF AFTER 2 YEARS. I HAD FROZEN MY MEMBERSHIP WITCH IS A $10 CHARGE, NOT KNOWING YOU CAN ONLY DO THIS FOR 3 MONTHS KNOW !!! BEFORE IT WAS FOR HOW EVER LONG YOU WANT. I WAS CHARGED AFTER MY MEMBERSHIP EXPIRES THE MEMBERSHIP FEE ALONG WITH THE $10 FREEZE CHARGE. I DID TALK TO JOE @ THE MAUMEE, OHIO CLUB AND THEY DID NOT HAVE A FOR TO FILL OUT TO CANC MY MEMBERSHIP, I HAD TO PUT IT IN WRITING THAT I CANC MY MEMBERSHIP. JOE DID NOT MENTION THERE WAS A $10 CANC FEE. MY DAUGHTER HAD TO GO ON LINE TO GET FORM AND THAN THAT WAS HOW I FOUND OUT ABOUT THE $10 CHARGE. THIS IS B---S---!!! THEY ARE JUST LIKE A CELL PHONE SERVICE THAT GETS YOU FOR EVERY STUPID THING. I FEEL A CLASS ACTION SUIT SHOULD BE BROUGHT AGAINST THEM. THE CUTIE THEY GOT WORKING FOR THEM NEED TO BE MORE KNOWLEDGABLE AND INFORMATIVE ON GIVING PEOPLE INFO ON ALL THE HIDDEN COST. WE NEED TO STOP THIS AND FILL SUIT AGAINST THIS TYPE OF PRACTICE. I WOULD LIKE TO BE INFORMED IF AN ATTN WOULD BE WILLING TO DO THIS. CONTACT ME AT 419-265-2021 LEAVE A MESSAGE.

• Je
      3rd of May, 2011

Urban Active sucks I also signed up for a 2 year contract. I was just charged for anther month of $37.36 threw my checking account. I have been billed wrong several times. They also cancelled all there classes after I was stuck in my contract so why is it they can take stuff away, but will not allow a customer to cancel there contract?

• Ru
      21st of May, 2011

Urban Active has some very manipulating sales tactics. To tell you the truth, I don't know what type contract I signed. What I do know is that I inquired about going month-to-month for $19.99 but was tricked into paying over $60.00 up front...something about having to pay the last month and application/initiation fees. Not only that but within 10 days of joining I'll be hit again with an automatic withdrawal for another $19.00. So that's over $80.00 if I never use the facility. Furthermore, when I decided while in the office signing up that I wanted my money back, I was told that I would have to wait for a manager and also that there isn't a number for their corporate office. Ruben (502) 403-6719