UPS / ups driver should look for new employment

1 Plano, TX, United States Review updated:

I ordered a very expensive granite kitchen rolling cart from Kohls, for which I paid an extra $90 worth of shipping for "special handling." Well, when it arrived, the driver was all alone. He was complaining that the package was so heavy-and it was, nearly 200 lbs-and asked if I COULD HELP HIM CARRY IT UP THE STAIRS!! (I am a very petite woman, who has medical problems). We live on the second floor of an apartment building, with no elevator. He was complaining the whole time, and proceeded to turn the box on itself to make it easier to move for him. When I opened the box, my expensive purchase was broken in half. I am so furious that UPS hires such losers who can't even do the job they are paid to do!

Va

Comments

• Al
      2nd of Jul, 2008

well i am a UPS driver. The problem with this complaint is this. When most of us were hired the weight limit that we were required to lift was 70 lbs and the demensions were different also. Upper level management (people who do not lift a package) decided that they would move the weight limit up to 150 lbs and accept larger packages. I also know that shippers are not putting the correct weight on the packages and shipping them UPS trying to save money. The driver by contract should have had a helper riding with him to handle a package of that size and weight but as i know management does not allow it because it saves them money and gets them a big bonus at the end of the year. I know all to well because of the slipped disk in my back that happened on the job but in the UPS way it was my fault even though I did nothing wrong.

• So
      16th of Oct, 2009

One thing that should be brought to line in reference to this issue is UPS only takes packages up to 150 lbs. If the package did indeed weigh 200 lbs, you surely can not expect the driver to be able to deliver it.
    Calling him loser for not being able to properly lift and handle a 200 lbs package is a little extreme.
    You obvioulsy ordered it from Khols as you knew you could not purchase it locally and take it up two flights of stairs by yourself. Also, knowing that fact, you were willing to spend the additional money to have it shipped and delivered.
    Give the driver some slack. it appears Khols tried to save some money by intentionally shipping the package, probably at 150 lbs and not at the 200 lbs it should have been, instead of using one of the LTL delivery options available.
    I recently purchased some furntiure from JC Penny's that, had the weight been 150 lbs or less, UPS could have delivered it. However, JC Penny's, knowing that it would arrive in better shape on an LTL, shipped it with a company that employed two delivery men vice the one driver UPS would have used.
    The shipper is as much to blame, if not more, than UPS or their driver. Some common sense must be used when shipping freight or packages. UPS does a great job delivering a normal sized and weighted package. None of the delivery services (UPS, FEDEX, DHL or USPS) would have been able to deliver your package to suit your needs.
    Lay the blame where it belongs, mostly with Khols.

• Up
      25th of Jun, 2010

im a ups driver and ups dont care about wat the drivers got on the van or wat weight its is, they just fill the van up block all the doors and expect u to del, they r breaking so many rules and making people life hell. the driver has a right to refused del if cust dont help, but ups dont tell cust that so the driver gets all the stick, ups r making good workers sick and r bulling people so badly, they make driver break speed limts and make them rush dels so most driver up up with serious back injury, can anyway help me fight this prob ? how can u call someone a loser ?