UPN ServicesUnauthorized billing

1 Review updated:

On Sept 24th me and my husband went to the bank to withdraw money from our account to start a little Christmas shopping. When we went to take money out it showed that we were in the negative, so we went into the bank to find out what happened and the bank teller told us that there was a check withdrawn of $399.00, it stated on the check authorization on file. Thats when we called the number and talked with someone to ask them what this company was. The lady told us that it was an identity theft protection. We stated to the lady that we never purchased this and that we wanted our money back, she said that they will send us a letter with a referral number on it and to call them back. We still haven't received a letter from them, we went to our bank and switched our account, filed a fraud complaint and told our local news paper.

More UPN Services Complaints & Reviews

Comments

Oct 05, 2008

Hi. I just read your post and wanted to convey my experience. The EXACT same thing happened to me. On September 24th, I went to check my account balance to ensure I had the amount I needed to pay the rest of my college tuition and discovered that an electronic check for $399 had cleared my account! (I'm just a waitress and college student, so, that's all I had in the account.) Frustrated, I clicked to see the photo of the check and called the number for "UPN Services" that was in the "comment" section of the check. It was very difficult for me to get ahold of anyone and, when I finally did, I was given the same story. It's incredibly frustrating! I've yet to have this resolved.

Don't the banks have some responsibility in this? I didn't authorize any such transaction and, just because some unknown third party states that my authorization is "on file, " they just extract the money from my account? Shouldn't there be some sort of verification for this type of thing?

• Ro
      Oct 07, 2008

I had an old account with wachovia and hadn't used it for about a year, I only had $1.62 in the account so imagine my suprise when I recieved an over draft notice for $399.00. I called the bank and told them that was impossible and the reason as stated above. The bank representative informed me that this has been happening alot lately, I asked how they could do this and she told me that they had gotten my routing number and account number and did a check by phone. She said they probably got the information from my using the internet to pay bills. If this is the case how did they get the information when I usually use a credit card or debit card and this she could not answer. The bank did not charge me for the over draft and put a hold on the account and suggested I close the account to avoid further problems.

I did so the next day.

Oct 10, 2008

I live in Ohio, just recently moved back to Ohio from Kentucky. I also received a charge of $399.00 to my checking account. The withdrawal posted 10/08/08. I filed a compliant with the Bank (National City Bank) and requested that the charges be reversed.

I have no idea how UPN Services obtained my checking information. I did not give this company my information. I recently lost my job and would not consider purchasing anything at this time.

I called the Bank back after I searched the web and realized that this company has made several unauthorized charges to other individuals. I requested that the Bank post an alert regarding UPN Services and their fraudulent charges. The Bank informed me that they would make sure to pass the information along to ensure that nobody else is taken advantage of. I have no way to determine if this information will be communicated to other Banks or not.

Oct 10, 2008

I live in Wisconsin, I also have been a victim of UPN Services. My checking account was hit for $399.00 on Sept 29th. I feel the banks share some of the responsibility for processing these bogus charges. What was processed thru didn't even look like a check at all. It was quite obvious to me that this was a fraud. I have yet to receive my money back and as the days go by I become more frustrated. I did file a report with the better business bureau but that doesn't put the $399.00 back in my account.

• La
      Oct 13, 2008

Miss Russell, No your Bank did not relay the infomation to any other banks because I just had $399.00 sucked out of my account
    on 10-9-08. When I contacted them (UPN SERVICES) they said they would be happy to cancel the service and would send me a refund request and told me to sign it and return it to them and I would get my $399.00 back (we will see).
    p.s has anybody noticed that the check # they used was the last four digits of your phone number?

Oct 14, 2008

UPN Services also tried to get my grandmother but lucky for her the bank thought the check looked counterfeit and called to verify the charges with her before cashing it. Im sorry everyone else on here was not as lucky in that. We live in Tennessee, and to add to Larry's post.. yes I did notice they used the last four of her phone number. I have no idea how they could have gotten her info, she doesnt make payments online or over the phone either one. She banks with US Bank.. someone called her a few times claiming to be with the bank and wanting to renew some type of protection on her accounts. She just didnt think something about it sounded right so she didnt give out any info. That is the only odd thing we can think of that may have related to this.. did anyone else have any calls from someone claiming to be with their bank beforehand?

Oct 14, 2008

Everyone should go to this link.. It has very good info on how to get your money back from the bank. Goodluck I hope it works!

/URL removed/

RANT:

I believe the banks may be purchasing stock in these fraudulent companies hoping to have a percentage of people who never notice the money gone missing. This is ridiculous.

• Ug
      Oct 17, 2008

This is a recurring theme. My mother, an 81 year old retired school teacher, was contacted by her bank last week after getting a $399 electronic check from UPN Services. The back was stamped "Pay to the order of Landmark Services." Luckily the bank suspected fraud and put a stop on the check. I'm on the account and am presently going through records for any previous transactions from this company.

• Ed
      Oct 18, 2008

On 10-14-08 It happened to me and I just noticed on 10-18-08. I am going to ensure my bank goes after them. This is rediculous! My wife and I were scratching our heads as to what it could be but did not come up with anything. Until I decided to search on the web and found this page. WOW what a surprise! We have to get them to stop.

Oct 20, 2008

I take care of my in-laws' finances & the statement they received today had the same charge dated 9-25. It seems they are being targeted by either different companies or the same company. Unfortunately, my mother-in-law has given out her information before & they have already closed one account and opened another to try to remedy the situation--to no avail. I don't know if the banks can even help--they're still trying to get money back from another company that did this & my m-i-l hasn't given any info. since. We also had someone pose as a company working for the bank & the man actually had the nerve to get mad at her for not having the info he needed. When she said I take care of everything he told her that that's not right! Good luck to all her are still dealing with these situations--I can't take this anymore.

Oct 26, 2008

Good day to you all. I am James Thorn, a managing director with Complex Consumer Services and I had a contract with UPN Services as well to process with me. We have been cut off since alot of bad things were going on. If anyone is in need of a REFUND, please e-mail us RIGHT AWAY. We are not in the business of taking peoples hard earned money, and will take care of all refunds.

[protected]@gmail.com

• Pe
      Oct 27, 2008

$399. fraudulent check on my mother's account written to UPN Services; Landmark Clearing.

• Wi
      Oct 30, 2008

On Sept 24, 2017 UPN Services stole 399.00 from my checking account. After several failed attempts of trying to reach them I called my bank and disputed the charges. I also called the Police dept and filed a report with them also. Has anyone got thier money back?

Dec 01, 2008
    UPN Services - $399 2 mo in a row- different Co.
    M & J Processing
    Mississippi

In Oct. (2017) my dad's checking account had a fake check processed for $399 from UPN Services. In Nov. another one processed also for $399 but from a company called M & J Processing. Both used the last four digits of his home phone number as the check number - which is NOT in his sequence of checks. I am not a "banking" expert, so I'm not clear how a check can be processed without a signature and not even in his sequence of check numbers. This was not an EFT it is a CHECK! Does that mean there is some clearing house somewhere that is processing these? According to /link removed/ there are many other victims in many states! The bank personnel is saying my dad must have given his bank routing number and account number out. That sounds like 'passing the buck' excuses. For all we know someone photocopied one of his checks when he wrote one of them and then "sold" this information! Bottom line is the banks programs should have some verification checks in place to stop this. An affidavit was sent in the Home office for his bank, and he is SUPPOSED to get the money back. I'm not holding my breathe on that yet!!! We opened a new account, but I'm not convinced this will not occur again.

Dec 04, 2008

Today 12-3-08 i to have recieved a debit on my account for 399.00 from complex consumer services also known as upn!
    i went right to the bank with all this information and they posted a stop payment just curious has anyone recieved a credit yet?

• Ju
      Dec 04, 2008

The same thing happened to my mother. 1st it was UPN which "stole $399" (then filed bankrupt), and exactly 1 month later M & J "stole $399". It has to be the same scam. I don't understand why nothing can be done to stop these people. They belong in prison. I believe M & J is just getting started and there will be a lot of victoms soon. My mother has been able to get her money back from the bank, but she feels very victomized. No wonder our banks are in such a mess.

Dec 04, 2008

The exact same thing happened to my grandmother. October $399 stolen by UPN Services - November $399 stolen by M&J Processing! The bank will not give her the money back - insist she gave the numbers out over the phone! She barely answers the phone - my parents care for her and live right next door!