University Of Phoenix / Axia College - Online / financial aid management discrepancies

3157 E. Elmwood Street, Phoenix, AZ, United States Review updated:
Phone: (480)-804-7600

I began attending the University of Phoenix/Axia College - Online Campus back in April of 2008. The representatives I dealt with all acted on behalf of the University of Phoenix and fed me a bunch of lies and deceit in convincing me to enroll with the University of Phoenix/Axia College - Online Campus. The major issue was with the University of Phoenix/Axia College's Financial Aid Department.

I believe that I was financially manipulated and cheated by financial aid counselors with the University of Phoenix/Axia College, simply to get me to continue attending the online courses with their university. I have battled with instructors in my virtual classrooms about how they conducted themselves and how I was treated overall. I was also not happy with their learning curriculum. I felt that the majority of classes that were said to be a part of my learning curriculum were simply implemented to add a value to the course. There were quite a few unnecessary prerequisites involving the course. I also felt that some of the prerequisites with the University of Phoenix/Axia College - Online Campus were setup to "stretch-out" the course and overall cost a student extra and unnecessary monies in the long run.

I continued to be manipulated by the University of Phoenix/Axia College's practices and I listened to the advice of my enrollment counselors, academic counselors and financial aid counselors, only to eventually be financially cheated when I became fed up with the University of Phoenix - Online Campus. They used various tactics to persuade me to stay enrolled in the course and further try to obligate me on a financial level to their university.

Time progressed and I got so annoyed that I had to even switch my said "Graduation Team" with the University of Phoenix/Axia College (which was no different than my original one). My new Enrollment Counselor, Academic Counselor and Financial Aid Counselor behaved in the exact same fashion. They both repeated the process of misleading me and deceiving me to continue my enrollment with the University of Phoenix/Axia College. I was told by my financial counselor that I would receive substantial grants to accommodate my financial disposition at that time, which was not good because of the economy. My Academic Counselor simply followed the lead of my Financial Aid Counselor. I eventually reached a boiling point and I refused to continue to be manipulated by the University of Phoenix/Axia College, so I attended my last block of classes and I could not continue any further.

I stopped attending the University of Phoenix/Axia College back in July of 2009 because of the profuse mistreatment I endured from their staff. Since then, the University of Phoenix/Axia College has manipulated my online records, changed my classroom attendance statuses in some classes and possibly even manipulated some of my grades. I have been unable to check or verify the pertinent details of my virtual classroom history due to everything being kept on their servers and my being denied access. This is how they manipulate things on their end, for the most part.

I have also been experiencing the University of Phoenix/Axia College trying to bill me approximately $3, 000 when all of my student loans were with Sallie Mae and the U.S. Department of Education. I was also not able to officially withdraw from the University of Phoenix/Axia College, yet because they now threaten to cause me more financial hardship with my FAFSA loans by compromising the monies I already received for my subsidized and unsubsidized federal student loans. It is truly disappointing, but I have not given up.

Comments

• Uo
      11th of May, 2010

I work for the University of Phoenix, Office of Dispute Management. We are dedicated to investigating student grievances, disputes, and concerns. I would be happy to have our office look into your issues. If you would like, please contact us through one of the methods listed below:

Phone: 602-557-5566
    Email: [protected]@phoenix.edu

Best regards,

Libby Bailey, Sr. Student Relations Administrator
    for the Office of Dispute Management

• Ky
      20th of Aug, 2010

University of Phoenix / Axia College has ripped me OFF! They lied, cheated me and so on and so fourth... They are nothing but a bunch of scam artist. If you are a victim as well PLEASE send your complaint/letter to me and I will help take action I am working on starting a class action and notifying the attorney general and department of education. You can mail your letter/complaint along with ANY proof to Ms. Staten, 2661 E Adams Court, Cudahy, WI 53110 or email [protected]@yahoo.com in the subject line write Axia Complaint

20th of Mar, 2011

Dear "UoP Victim, " I can't tell if this might be the issue, but I believe that if you do not complete the pre-requisite number of credits/classes, if you do not maintain a GPA average of "C" or better, if you drop, withdraw, fail or do not make attendance, it is my understanding (I have a Masters degree) that you have not earned the right to your Title IV funding as per the policies of the Dept. of Education and a school or is legally bound to return that entire amount of Title IV funds (loans and grants) to the government (or lender) -- even if they have already given you the excess funding to use for educational expenses. How a university or college deals with the "money owed" for class time used after that point -- including and grant money not earned but already given to the student -- and university "drop by this date and there's no charge" policies vary from school to school. I suggest visiting StudentLoans.gov and taking an "Entrance Counseling Interview." It reviews the policies and regulations a student must abide by and achieve in order to earn their Title IV funding. It sounds as though you did not earn your PELL grant (did not complete enough credits, dropped or failed classes, let your GPA drop below a "C" ) and your loans didn't cover your cost of courses. Hope this helps. i would also definitely recommend that you contact that Libby Bailey person; she sounds like she's willing to help.