University of Phoenix / dropped me because of hardship then garnished my wages

1 AZ, United States Review updated:

I enrolled in University Of Phoenix in July of 2005. I lost my job a week after enrolling. Three weeks into class and still not able to find a job near home and running out of money to even buy groceries, I took a temporary job for the summer 5 hours from home and I was to stay in a motel they provided. I told my counselor I would try continue if I could get access to a computer. I do NOT have a laptop I have a desktop. My desktop was 5 hours away at an empty house with the 'software' needed for the classes. Which is Outlook Express for the 'attendence participation' (threaded discussions 6 times a week) and to email my professors my assignments, and Microsoft Works to type the said 'assignments'. But I still tried to keep up with the classes using computer access at a library and typing my assignments on yahoo mail. It was extremely time consuming and I hogged the computer at the library trying to post all this. That is IF I could get into the library before it closed. There was really not much I could do about the 'participation" portion and I started failing for bad attendence (have to 'participate' 6 times a week) and even the assignments typed up were not good enough for they HAD to be typed in Microsoft Word and sent to their Outlook inbox in an attachment only. So I requested a temporary leave of absence until I could get back home after the job was complete. My counselor said that would be alright, I just had to clear it with my professors. I sent an email to the professors, via yahoo of course since I did not have much of a choice. And I recieved no reply back from either one. When I returned home a letter was in my mail box on behalf of University Of Phoenix, saying they wanted the full amount of my student loan of $2, 625.00 or it will be sent to a collection agency. When I called my counselor back to ask 'why?' he stated, (coldly I may add now that I am no longer a student my best interest is not at stake) that it was the deciding factor of the professors and they did not approve of my leave of absence and 'dropped me failing' instead of 'withdrawl passing' and if I were to check my OUTLOOK inbox I would have read the denial of withdrawl and the copy of my request, stated I quit participating in JULY (?) and it is now my responsibilty to pay the loan back in full. It isn't as if I wanted to quit. I wanted to finish, but I needed a computer and the professors cared more about being paid than actually assisting a student who was clearly have a difficult time. Now the defaulted loan has been sent to collections and there was a GARNISH of my federal taxes snd wages.

Comments

• To
      6th of Mar, 2009

You signed a financial agreement stating if you withdrew from class after a set number of days or weeks, you understood you would be financially liable. The contract didn't say "unless you really can't help it". The Federal Student Loan you took out (and it is a governemnt loan, or they wouldn't garnish your tax refund) also has a contract, that you cannot take a leave of absence of over 28 days or you will no longer be considered a student and will have to begin to repay your loan in full. Because you dropped out (regardless of the reason) your student loan would not pay for the class you were in at the time, that's why the school had to collect it from you directly. Any school will do this, not just University of Phoenix.

13th of Apr, 2009

Great response Tolleson,

I wonder what the purpose of this post was? Some are so quick to bash the school and its not even the schools fault. I remember when i enrolled i was asked to write a brief essay and in that they asked what would i do in hard times, no computer, etc...
    Alot of students get back a nice check from what is left over from their grants, loans etc. They are quick to spend that money and when something like this happens they cry foul.
    Participating 6 times a week takes approximately 5 mins to do in a DQ and its not that hard.
    All i have to say is, "Utterly Amazing"

• Be
      1st of May, 2009

to the two that commented on this complaint you guys are very creative.. did you learn that at the university of phoenix?? how to cover things up and act like everything is so perfect. how sorry can you be to come on here and comment the "school" you are apart of. and i dont mean apart of as a student i mean FACILITY should be FAKEILTY. its probably the same person. has any one else noticed that those 2 users just joined. and that the only comments they left on complaints was for UOP and all of them were very defensive of the school. you may be able to fool others but you cant fool me. thats why i never committed myself to this SO CALLED school because i knew it was shady. and i sure am glad i didnt because i can see how yous have ruined the lives of innocent people who just want to further their education and be something in life.I bet yall made a couple extra bucks writing comments about how UOP is such a wonderful and trustworthy school. it just baffles me!

• Ni
      10th of Jun, 2009

Ah, how sweet! Another, I am a drop-out of college because my life is so hard! Very compelling! I am writing as a single mother who attended University of Phoenix, was able to hold my full time job, encountered many hardships and still graduated after much hard work and time sacrifice! College is not for everyone, some just cannot manage the time and hardwork, yet somehow find the time to complain and point blame on everyone else(or in this case University of Phoenix). Get over it, just because you could not hang does not mean that there is not thousands and thousands of graduates a year that CAN do it.

• Ri
      18th of Jun, 2009

whatever you say thief. Don't choke trying to swallow your sausage. I know you are one of them sitting in your butt getting our money. If you call Axia Online "College" than you are so full of it because the name is not University of Phoenix. Maybe if you get some knowledge then you will not be a ### trying to explain hundreds of students why they have problems with Axia Online. You should get a job with them in ripping students off. Let it be heard, first amendment the right for freedom of speech. Don't try to silence us, Liars Liars you won't shut us that easily Nikwy...

• Uo
      21st of Jan, 2010

I was given an incomplete grade at UoP bc i was unable to log in on the exact last day of class. I was in the hospital after giving birth and my daughter was in the NICU. I contacted my professors and tried to reschedule taking any final assignments but they were not willing to help me out. They showed no empathy and acted like I was making up excuses. I wasn't able to log in and ended up getting incomplete grades in both classes. They then told me they returned all my loan money back to the bank. I never received bills or statements. I didn't stay on top of the issue, and now the government is taking over and thousand dollars out of this years tax return. Yes, it was my fault for not keeping up with my finances. However, at a REAL college professors are more than willing to work out issues like this one. UoP is a sad excuse for school. They do not treat students as individuals by any means. Do not waste your time or money on this scam. It's ridiculous that they are even an actual school. Oh and for many people including myself it's not that we couldn't hang, it's that UoP has no empathy or concern for the students lure in with promises of being an better alternative to getting an education.

• Mo
      18th of Jan, 2011

I am having a hard time with UOP as well. I collapsed and had to have emergency surgery. Failed two classes and passed two, but because the grade wasnt high enough to bring my gpa up, I was placed on academic disqualification, then told I had to wait 6 month before I could start again..but I was also told if I was out of school for more than 28 days I would be dropped! After that I never heard from any of my counselors again and then I got a phone call telling me that I needed to pay $1800.00 to them by the next week! So pissed because all I had was less than 24 credits to finish. I just want my degree and Im done with them

• Th
      19th of Sep, 2011

This place is such a piece of crap, i had passing grades in all my classes. Like everyone else i work, have kids and any chance i had i would do my DQ's etc. During the finals i logged on 2 hours before the deadline and sent in my final to a class, recieved a notice saying it was sent and then an hour later it came back. Due to the final never getting to the professor i was given a failing grade, from an A to a F pretty much...To make matters worse it was 1% away from a passable grade. So i contacted the IT department they sent me an email saying they are aware of this issue but there is nothing they can do at the time, so 1- They are aware this is a problem...NOW i contact my adviser, they say inform the teacher of this and they have the ability to accept your test late, the school adviser cannot tell her to do so. So now i contact the teacher, inform her of the ITs awareness of said issue, advise her of what my adviser said. Now the professor tells me she cannot do this...I told her i was told by a school staff member she could. She reviews her rules and tells me no. Meanwhile a week earlier i recieved an email from her saying how good i was doing in her class. So needless to say i get a letter saying i have to take said class over again AND i have to pay it out of pocket...The class is over $1, 000...Obviously i got student loans and grants because i didnt have that laying around. This school is ripping off people and if you want to get your degree you have to give in and pay them.