University Alliance / Fraudulent practices

PO Box 20402Tampa, FL, United States Review updated:
4.2
Phone: 800-874-7877

In trying to enroll in Florida Tech online, I had to go through University Alliance/Bisk Education. With classes starting Monday, I have no insight into my transcript evaluation or financial aid award. I have lots of financial obligation building and the last day to withdraw is October 24th, interesting given that classes start 3 days later. Furthermore, I can get no one to return my phone calls or emails this past week, again an interesting turn of events given the upcoming deadlines. It would be interesting to learn how much of their revenue is earned by students who pay for classes and services they never get because they start classes and then later learn they receive little transfer credit and/or no financial aid award.

Comments

An
  29th of Jan, 2009
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I have some real issues with the high pressure sales and lack of financial disclosure. It just does not make a lot of sense.

Florida Tech is a reputable school, but University Alliance that enrolls and adminsters the on-line program seems to be taking the Florida Tech reputation and running it in the ground.
Ge
  18th of Sep, 2009
They screwed me real bad. I was enrolled no financial aid was awareded i withdrew thought everything was okay . Four month later today i get a debt collection call for 3000 dollars from university alliance. F that!
Ri
  4th of Feb, 2010
I am also receiving calls from University Alliance saying that I owe them $1514.00 for a class I never took! They said I have to contact Financial Aid and straighten it out. I told them I shouldn't have to do this, since I never took the class in the first place! However I leave a message for Financial Aid, since they didn't answer the phone. The message said that my call would be returned within two business days. So far I have not heard from them.
Pe
  10th of Feb, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
University Alliance screwed me bad. They are tarnishing the reputations of esteemed institutions like Villanova that has outsourced its online courses to University Alliance. I enrolled for their 3-subject certificate program and gave my credit card information to them. After taking out one payment, they stopped taking out the payment for 3 months and removed me from the program without any intimation, whatsoever. They agree that its their fault but refuse to put me back on the course till I make one huge payment of nearly $2000. The enrollment manager as well as the reps there are giving contradictory statements. The enrollment manager says whatever comes to her mind. She first told me any credit card decline generates an email which is sent to the student. But since I did not receive any email, she said it must have gone to my husband's account. How did she come up with that??? Who hires such people?? And they will never call you back, even though they promise you that they will. I am the one who always calls them back. After dealing with them and getting no results, I have now decided to pursue this with higher authorities. Beware of this institute.
Ja
  4th of Jun, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am having the same problems with the University Alliance and Florida Tech right now!!! They are trying to charge me for courses that I never attempted and discussed in great detail over the phone with a University Alliance representative about withdrawal. Something needs to be done about this scam.
Rh
  25th of Jun, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I am having the same problem with University Alliance. I am being charged for books and materials I sent back after telling them to withdrawal me and not to send me any books. Now I'm being contacted by Debt collectors to collect for the books.
Ba
  27th of Jul, 2010
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I received my MBA through Florida Tech/ University Alliance with no issues at all. Sorry you guys have had experiences. I hope you get your issues resolved.
St
  27th of Aug, 2010
University Alliance is a scam. The representative answers detailed questions with canned answers that aren't even relevant to my questions. Additionally they don't have a tuition deferrment program which most schools have when dealing with employees of company's that offer that benefit.
Tr
  16th of Sep, 2010
I was also rushed, rushed, rushed. Start now, pay later. Well today, September 16, 2010 after 11 weeks of busting my [censor] to do everything asked for financial aid, doing all the work for classes and earning 2 As and a B for the first term, and doing well in the second term, I found out that my financial aid would be in the form of $14, 000 worth of student loans that MIGHT get me through 8 classes. I made $12, 000 last year. I have no job, what would make them think I wanted a $14, 000 loan? I started the financial aid process back in May, with the intention of seeing what I qualified for, and going from there. After being repeatedly reassured, that I WOULD qualify for financial aid, I was informed today that thus far I owe over $2, 000. I can't decide whether to cut my losses and run or take a deep breath and jump in so today I am looking over the reviews online.

I already have had more bad experiences than good, and serious issues with communication with 3 out of 5 instructors. In reading the reviews, it seems like Florida Tech is very solicitous until the loan is signed, and once you are hooked, you are dinner. I am thinking for $460 per credit hour, I should not have to teach myself. When professors don't answer emails, or explain why you are wrong when you ask, then you aren't learning. I have found mistakes on tests and emailed the professors citing the wrong answer on tests on MULTIPLE occasions using the test question and number, and a reference to the book. Two professors admitted it was wrong, the other two never answered me, and it happened in each class more than once THAT I NOTICED.

The B I received was from one of the instructors that did not return email. After I was finished all of the work plus 8 extra credit papers, I received a 88.9, that is 1.1 point from an A. She gave me the A, then, after the course, I complained about the emails that weren't answered, and, she changed my grade to a B.

My second complaint is about the test I failed last week. I emailed my teacher on Sunday saying I obviously was missing something. I had no idea what I was doing wrong. She called me on Tuesday to tell me she wouldn't be able to help me until Wednesday. That help came in the form of an email to the whole class this morning saying she was having foot surgery and would be unavailable until the weekend. My personal feedback on my failed homework and exams consisted of, "I have reviews your work. If you have any questions, please don't hesitate to contact me."

I don't think that I want to owe so much money for a school that having a good experience at is like playing the lottery. If I had financial aid, maybe I would stay, but if I am paying, I am taking my money elsewhere.
Ar
  14th of May, 2011
Agree Disagree +1 Votes
I was also screwed by the University Alliance, I feel this is not fair and I hope something is done so we as student can be reinbursted our money, it sad they rip off students trying to get and education.
Ra
  9th of Oct, 2015
UA won't allow you to take more classes. I told them I want to graduate early, and they said "no you can't I sent in CLEP exams but to no avail. One scammer told me three weeks into the term, I would have to spend five years at school, not four. They lied to me to string me along. I dropped the idea of attending FIT and enrolled at a state school online, where they give you more control over your course choices and how much you want. And don't bother calling FIT, because there is a big disconnect between the school and UA. FIT is like an alien to UA, trying to get their help won't work. FIT is out of touch with the online students, they need to get their act together and drop UA. All I wanted was an extra undergrad degree, I already have another degree, well this seemed to confuse them, and they said I needed a CLEP, confusion central is all I can say!
Tb
  21st of Oct, 2016
University Alliance/Florida Tech. is more a scam that I first thought when I applied. Unlike most of you, though I have an Attorney that hates "scammers" like this, and I contemplate a long and arduous fight especially since Florida Tech. probably have any idea the tactic's University Alliance uses to get your money. For those of you who have had the misfortune of applying to School with these people, do whatever it takes to protect yourself from them.