Universal Subscription Agency, INC / Non-responsive to my inquiries

1 PO BOX 15187Chesapeake, VA, United States Review updated:
Phone: 757-818-9497

Watch out people, do NOT have a soft heart for the youth that work for Universal Subscription Agency, INC as you will most likely get taken advantage of as I and many other trusting people have.

Here's some of the details of my regrettable interaction with this company's scam occurring nationwide:

A young man representing Universal Subscription Agency, INC rang my door bell around 8:00PM on Tuesday February 10, 2009. He said his name was Jason Johnson and he was very talkative and said he was part of a youth employment program and would like to show me the program (magazine subscriptions). His smooth “talk” gave the impression that the “program” was legitimate, so I listened and got scammed by the time all was said and done.

Jason Johnson spoke of the company’s point system for sales made and even an extra $100.00 he could earn if he sold magazines totaling 100 points that day. Jason spoke of living a tougher lifestyle a few years before when he lived in Chicago and that he was trying to change his life and was selling the magazines so he could eventually go to Cal-State. Jason Johnson seemed sincere however, I was a bit skeptical once we got through the ordering process and seeing the prices of the magazines that were outrageous compared to other youth/school subscription programs I’ve seen and bought from in the past.

After I wrote my check for four different magazine subscriptions, Jason Johnson explained the cancellation policy, underlined the phone number on the receipt, pointed out that his ID number on the receipt were the last four digits of his social security number, and asked me to call the number listed to give positive feedback as he would receive extra points.

My fiancé had returned home in the middle of the order process and after Jason Johnson had left my home, my fiancé told me a story about an experience he had with a door-to-door subscription company that he ordered from a couple of years prior and stated he never received the magazine he paid for. That got me thinking I was probably just scammed and that I should follow the notice of cancellation directions on the back of the receipt.

I made two calls to [protected] on February 12, 2009 (8:05AM and 3:17PM PST). Both calls connected directly to a recorded message requesting callers to leave their name, receipt number, phone number, and the state they were calling from. I left all the requested information each call I made and never received a return call.

I further doubted the legitimacy of Universal Subscription Agency, INC and looked on-line for company information to find numerous links related to this company – specifically - for complaints, rip-offs, Better Business Bureau, and other negative content sites. After reading some of the comments I put a stop order on my check (paid for the magazine subscriptions) at my bank, which cost me $20.00 but was way less than the total for the four subscriptions that I would most likely never receive.

I echo several other complainants that interacted with Universal Subscription Agency, INC and request this company be investigated, held accountable, and not allowed to conduct fraudulent “business” activities.

Sincerely,
Bonnie
Everett, Washington
U.S.A.

Bj

More Universal Subscription Agency, INC Complaints & Reviews

Comments

6th of Jul, 2009

Yep, I just realized (five months after the fact) that I was indeed ripped off by these same people. Unfortunately, the only thing I could do about it was blog a humorous cautionary tale about it: http://www.nannygoatsinpanties.com/2009/07/universal-subscription-services-inc.html

- Margaret

• Ls
      3rd of Aug, 2009

Wow I too had Jason Johnson come to my door singing his song. He caught me making dinner and would not leave. Mean while I could smell my Salmon burning so I bought one magazine for 48.00 then he throws the 10.00 service charge for a total of 58.00. After we ate dinner I looked at the receipt and he never put my address on it. How am I going to get magazines with no address to send it to. I put a stop payment on my check which fortunately cost me nothing. Call the cops next time these guys come to your door!