UNIVERSAL REWARDS & TRUST / fraudulent check

1 285 bay st. Toronto, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 426-826-9340

I recieved a letter in the mail addressed to myself. It said i won 125, 000 US dollars. It had a check with the letter for $ 4, 875.00 it gave me a number to call to to verify that i recieved it.
When i called, it sounded like a middle eastern gentleman answered. he told me to deposit the check and then call him back to let him know that i had deposited it. He said that part of the check is to pay the government taxes on the winnings.
I told him i never entered any sweepstakes or anything and how did he get my name. He said it was from JC pennys or walmart.
They do ask in the letter to keep this winning confidential, which i found kinda strange. The name of the claims manager is Mr Robert Lawson. I deposited the check and when i got home i looked online and found alot of others reporting the same thing. so i called my bank and they reversed the transaction thank goodness. It's scary that these ppl can get away with this.

Lisa Damon

Li

Comments

• Le
      15th of Oct, 2008
    Universal Rewards and Trust Of Canada - received bogus de-lotto winner check
    Univeral rewards and Trust
    Binghamton
    New York
    Phone: 607-797-8928

recevied a check for $4875.00 as part of 125, 000 de-lotto winner
    so instructed to call frank Brown at 1-647-836-0842 before I
    deposited the check to submit claim# and also instructed to setup
    a western union or Money gram in the amt of 2875.00 directly to the Tax Agent(not disclosed)
    Anyone receiveing this type of mail with check enclosed should be very very carreful not to fall for this scam
    I can't understand why with all the information on the internet
    about tis scam that the attorney general office has not stop this operation as of yet???
    the check I received was from 1st united bank, North Palm Beach Fl.
    Anything that sounds to good to be true is usally not true

• He
      28th of Oct, 2008

I recieved the same letter and check so when i called i got a man who gave his name as Mr. Ricky Morris. I deposited the money in my account and after I got home and called this Mr. Ricky Morris I was thinking that he was in such a hurry for the western union confirmation number that something wasnt right, so I went back to the bank and sure enough the check was no good . I came back home and called him back and gave him a bunch of made up numbers.And waited til the next day then called him back, and asked him did he get his money he said no and you gave me the wrong number and i told him so he was a lier and hung up the phone . Just please be aware of such scams as this.

12th of Nov, 2008

i just got a letter 2day on the same company... its ridiculous that these people can get away with this and not get caught...the bbb(better business) should get on this asap!

• Mk
      13th of Nov, 2008

I received a letter today; Thank god I researched it on the internet; Thank you; or I would have been ripped off; the government should prosecute these people.

• Ri
      14th of Nov, 2008

i, just recieved a letter today and a check for 4875.00 .told to contact tax agent to pay 2875.00 in gov.taxes via western union or money gram before cashing check.i felt something was wrong and this was to good to be true, so i looked up universal rewards& trust co and found that this was a rip off and scam.thankyou, thankyou for your reports.it reaLLY HELPS PEOPLE WHO NEEDB THE TRUTH.

• De
      28th of Nov, 2008

I recieved the same letter the mans name on my letter is Mr. Frank Brown and
    Bryan McDonald the tax advisors name is Pat King The phone number on my letter is 1-647-836-0847. They Keep putting you on hold every time you ask a question. I have deposited the check for $4875. but have not done any thing else
    with the check the bank has put a ten day hold on it. I think everyone should get a hold of some one to get this place closed down and put in jail. When I asked them if they are in Canada how were they going to pay the taxes on the winnings with no further information from me he said call me back when the check clears. I think they all need to be shot for ripping off hard working people
    Why they sit there and get rich taking advantage of people. Lets do somthing about them to stop this

• Re
      3rd of Dec, 2008

I got the same letter from Bryan McDonald Promotion Manger directline 905-598-5854. It should be a way we can all cash these checks and let them figure out how they are going to pay the bank.

Well good looking on all of our parts that knew to look before we jumped.

• Cj
      9th of Dec, 2008

Yesterday, my husband received the same letter and check. A few months back a friend of his at work had gotten an email scam from one of those online lottery scams. They put a $4500.00 check in their bank. By the time they found out the check was fraudulent, the people had cleaned them out and left their account in a shambles.

So, when I saw this check my insticts told me that it was a fake. I immediately researched it and discovered you all. Thank you!

In all seriousness, under the title on the check "Universal Rewards And Trust, their address is listed as 40 Main St. Chatham, , NJ 07928. Now, if a Bank can not use proper grammar when writing its own name...we should be very suspicious!

I hope the loser who are propagating this scam get caught and thrown under the jail for a very long time.

• Ca
      17th of Dec, 2008

I received the same letter from Universal Rewards & Trust Co. in the mail yesteday, Dec. 16, 2008. Along with it was the same check as everyone else received, in the amount of $4, 875. I was to contact Mr. Steve Collins at 1-647-219-2516 and the ironic part was that the his direct line phone number was the same as listed at the top of the page as the company phone number. I was skeptical and called my daughter who is a loan officer at a local credit union. We researched the company and found what we expected. I have also turned the paper work over to the fraud investigation dept. and they issued copies of the bad check to the tellers for id purposes in case a member trys to deposit one to their account. This is all so ridiculous and how many elderly or unknowing people fall for this!

• La
      26th of Dec, 2008

I received the same letter from Universal Rewards & Trust Co. in the mail yesteday along with it was the same check as everyone else received, in the amount of $4, 875. This one came "Universal Rewards And Trust", their address is listed on the letter head as International Claims Department 285 Bay St ONT. Canada M9R-2R7. But the bank the check was drawn off of is Palm Beach Florida as Universal Rewards and Trust 340 Royal Poinciana Way, Suite 306 Palm Beach Florida. I like everyone else thought it was to good to be true. I thank you all for the information you have submitted.

• La
      26th of Dec, 2008

And to think all this came around Christmas time too. What kinda people do this at this time of year?

• Md
      31st of Mar, 2009

Today I received a check for $4975.00 from Universal Finance Corp. in Halifax, Nova Scotia. Same as all others (call your tax agent, etc.)This one was signed Ashley Williams, tax agent Michael Taylor, and claim agent Bill Johnson who also has a "message box is full" recording on his phone number. Thanks to all who wrote about this scam. Hope all involved get what they deserve! Where should I report this scam now???

• Rk
      21st of Apr, 2009

I received the same letter from Universal Finance Corp Halifax, Nova Scotia along with a check for $4975.00 stating I had won $450, 000 in USA Mega sweepstakes and that the second check would come from a courier.I was advised to call tax agent Oscar Johnson, claim agent was William Grey and signed by promotions manager Ashley Morris.I learned long ago if it is too good to be true ..it is not going to fall for this BS wasnt born yesterday.. I hope everyone that gets these things posts on here sooner or later our goverment needs to get involved and give these people their rewards ...Who would you report this to ??