UNIVERSAL REWARDS AND TRUST / Fraudulant Cash Award

1 MD, United States Review updated:

Received award letter claiming I had won $125, 000. Enlclosed was a check for $$4, 875 written to me suggesting this was to offset Canadian taxes. I called number at [protected] to claim prize and person told me to deposit check into my checking account immediately, and once check cleared, they would send me remaining amount.

I DID NOT deposit check assuming this was a scam. I assume they want a direct line into your checking/savings accounts??

I'd appreciate and feedback you can provide. I can provide copies of check and letter if you wish.

Comments

28th of Oct, 2008

I got the same letter here in Florida today, I also supect its a scam. they sent me a check to deposit for taxes. im not going to do it, as I dont enter contest.
    I am how ever going to take it to my bank and have my banker look it over and to report it as a banking scam.
    I will let you know what comes of it.

3rd of Nov, 2008

i also received a check today dated 10/29/2008 for $4875.00 . I did not buy into it. I would like to know if anybody
    had them checked out and reported this company.

3rd of Nov, 2008

I ALSO RECEIVED A CHECK TODAY DATED 10/28/2008 FOR THE $4, 875.00.I ALMOST WAS FOOLED SO I LOOKRD INTO IT AND THIS IS WHAT I WAS TOLD.SO WE ALL NEED TO PUT A STOP TO THIS BEFORE SOMEONE GETS FOOLED.THIS IS CRAZY.

• Co
      4th of Nov, 2008

I recevied a check to the amount $4875.00 yesterday 11/3/08. I was told that it was okay to cash, but I thought that it was too good to be true so I called the bank on the check US Bank in Montana. they said that it was no good. This morning I called the police and I was told that it was scam and rip the check up.

15th of Nov, 2008

I also need to stand in this line. On 11/14/2008, I received a check for $4, 875.00 U.S. dollars. This check is drawn off of Wells Fargo Bank, NA out of Van Wert, Ohio. I am very happy that I researched this company before proceeding with instructions from a Mr. Frank Brown in Canada. I was told to call 1 647 878 6014. International Claims Department. Please somehow alert someone to stop this

• Pa
      16th of Nov, 2008

I also received a check for 4875 dated 11/07/2008. I think I will take it to my bank and have them report it also as a scam.

• Br
      17th of Nov, 2008

when i opened the letter, it wasn't in a business enelope. i noticed because i don't get mail unless it's bills. it was for the same amount that of the other consumers got. i had really wanted it to be true but i am glad that i went and looked it up. somehow it's for the best. thank you so very much.

• Br
      17th of Nov, 2008

by the way the agent name was mr. steve collins

• Ir
      20th of Nov, 2008

I also got a check from this company for the same amount so I called to verify if this was a scam. After grilling this guy for 2 minutes about the check he shouted at me and hung up the phone. his name was Mr. Frank Brown probably fake and I was able to trace the number to Ontario Canada. I will be calling Wells Fargo to inform them that someone is trying to scam people with checks bearing there names.

24th of Nov, 2008

I received a plain white envelope with a label for my name and a stamp on the envelope. When I opened it, it was for the $4875 also. The giveaway is when you get to the bottom and they ask you to send a Western Union or Moneygram for the $2875 to cover taxes. Assuming you have the cash to cover the taxes, you would deposit the bad check into your account, and send the money as requested. In a few days you would find out that the check was no good and you would be out the money.

• Je
      24th of Nov, 2008

I recieved this letter today, he check was dated for 11/19/2008.. . I did not deposit the check cause this is just crazy..I live in brooklyn, ny so I guess they are getting over the entire north american continent with this scam

• Mi
      26th of Nov, 2008

These guys are sick. Who would send this money before the check clears and further who would deposit the check. This guy is from Africa and can hardly speak English. No one gets free money - never. This society is not conducive to it unless you get a cash advance at 0 % and pay it on time. Even then there is a transaction fee.

I told him the police were coming and he said he would wait for them downstairs.

What a joke !!!

• Ca
      28th of Nov, 2008

Ok, I live in NY and just got the letter with Ontario Address. The promotions president is Bryan McDonald. The checks was from Valley National Bank in Tulsa for 4, 875.00 and the letter stated $3, 750 to be paid either by Western Union or Money gram to a tax agent. They asked not to use the check until you call. I needed the money and would have loved to buy into but after reading everybody else's comments I am sure it is a scam and won't waste my time.

• Di
      4th of Dec, 2008

Hi just wanted to let everyone know that this is DEFINETLY a scam please do not cash these checks.. i work in a bank and see how many people get scamed by these things so pleaseee do not cash any checks .. do not wire money to anyone you do not know .. and do not hold anyones check in your account and send them money.. If it sounds too good to be true it probably is. There is noo such thing as free money unless you win the lottery which is obviously official and if you did win 125k im pretty sure the news team would be in your front door.

• Ne
      27th of Dec, 2008

Thanks, I am ripping up my check right now. I live in deep south Texas. The check was from Suntrust Bank in Palm Beach Florida. Same amount as everyone else. I knew it was no good. This just confirms it. ..Shoot, with the economy down like this I could sure use the money though.

• Kr
      16th of Jan, 2009

My husband just received today a check for the same amount of $ 4.875.00, came in a plain white envelope with a label w/ his name and address. The check was drawn on CitiBank, out of Delaware. The letter enclosed stated the same as all the other letters other people received. To call w/ your claim #, and all the other garbage about taxes and whatnot! I knew it was too good to be true, so I googled "Universal Rewards and Trust", which brought me to this complaint board. I think I will now report this to the police. Although, not really sure if they could do anything. But, thanks to this complaint board I am sure it is a scam.

• Ta
      16th of Sep, 2010

I also recieved a letter today september 16, 2010 dated september 10, 2010 for 4, 875.00... I knew it was a scam... but thank you all so much for confirming it...together we stand!!!linsay corp ltd out of houston with a canadian telephone number 1-647-878-6014... If it were true... oh well hard work and honesty it is!!!