Universal Rent A Car / Overcharge

1 5400 Dixie RoadMississauga, Ontario, Canada Review updated:
Phone: 866 303 5888

Wednesday April 9, I arranged a rental through carrentals.com, a compnay I have successfully used many times. On this occassion however the rental was a disaster from the word go.
I arrived in Toronto from Victoria, called the shuttle to transport me to the car rental agency and waited outside. 40 minutes later I was still waiting outside along with another couple who had also rented from Universal.
Another call was made and 20 minutes later the 'shuttle' arrived.
45 minutes later we arrived at the agency.
The car I was given was filthy inside and out and smelled of tobacco. There was so mauch damage to the outside of the car it took ten minutes to document!! It was however the only car available.
When I returned the car the attendant was just leaving and said to throw the keys in the lock box and catch the hotel shuttle to the airport.
Today my Visa bill arrived... $100.00 more than the confirmed cost!!!
When I called to inquire I was given a list of 'special' taxes and liabilities which were not included in the quoted price.
The person taking the call was rude and hung up without answering my questions.

I have rented through Carrentals.com many times and have always had the quote match the actual...no exception.

Beware of Universal Rent a Car !

Comments

10th of Jul, 2008

I also had a terrible experience with Universal, and also in Toronto. I arrived with my reservation contract on the July 1 long weekend, to find they did not have a car for me or the other customers arriving that day. The staff did not apologize, but insisted that this was normal and "happens everywhere". After hours trying to find a car, I had to pay a much higher rate elsewhere.
    This is a very bad company.

• Jh
      13th of Jul, 2008

Universal Rent a car was the worst car rental experence I have ever had. They did not have the car promissed in my resevation, the substitute vehicle was filthy, and the guys running the business are flim flammers. They locked their business, upon my return with the vehicle, and placed a sign on the window directing me to go next door to the hotel for a ride back to the airport. Problem was, the hotel had no such deal with Universal. DO NOT RENT FROM UNIVERSAL!

• Da
      16th of Aug, 2008

Yesterday, August 15, I experienced all of the above abuses with the exception that the car is clean. However, there are Enterprise Rental agency documents inside the car. I am going to talk to CAA now to find out whether legal action can be taken against the undisclosed surcharges---the mysterious taxes that were not included at the time reservations were confirmed.

• Ph
      26th of Aug, 2008

Similar situation here.

BEWARE - Dixie Road (Toronto) location. I should have suspected something when my outgoing gas gauge reading was incorrect - in their favor.

Unique proof of insurance requirements were required (Ontario's liability insurance minimum is something my Farmer's insurance covers automatically - but this special documentation proof had only been issued 3 times in my agent's 30 years of insurance experience). Faxing the documentation was no good - they just said they didn't receive it - even though my agent faxed it twice to the correct number - with transmission confirmation.

Called the toll free line after hours and got a "Anita's not here... message".

Previous renter's bag still in car when we got it.

Worst customer service I've ever experienced.

The car was nice - that is the only positive thing about this rental.

NEVER AGAIN!

18th of Nov, 2008

they are worst car rental company. dont ever rent from them. They will not honour the quote and charge more to your card. Watch your credit statement carefully your will be charged even after a month of actual rental day in addition to what every you paid on return date..
    They are not cheap ... but thief fraud...

3rd of Aug, 2011

They are still at it in August 2011! Can't Ontario shut them down?

3rd of Aug, 2011

Third world standard. 5 year old cars, dirty banged up, broken windshield 94, 000 KM, transport to/from airport very poor. Insurance and gas charges ($1.95/litre) excessive.
    The majors are cheaper and better.

4th of Dec, 2011

I also was conned by these scammers!!! They chrgedme $1200 for some bogus windshield rock chip that never happened!!! They told me to use the insurance coverage from my Visa card, and said "all their customers do that...that's what it's there for!!"". Buyer BEWARE!!!